Toovey as a Coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He could have also added for continually selecting Hasson in FG

What a crock of ****. We may disagree with it, but Hiku is an International player - and if HE was left out, the telegraph would have written Hiku Snub.

I've decided I'm never paying or reading that paper ever again.

Agree, but...

Maguire and Robinson were both successful head coaches in England before getting their current roles, and

Bellamy was Bennett's long term assistant at the Broncos. He also was able to benefit from cap cheating over a long period to keep the nucleus of his team together until he claimed his maiden premiership in 2012.

Not saying Barrett won't be any good but it's hard to draw the conclusion that he will be just by comparing him to those other 3 average ex players turned successful coaches.

Playing ability is not really relevant to coaching prowess, but coaching record (something Barrett has not yet had the chance to develop) is a much better indicator.
Nathan Brown is the ESL reigning premiership coach & that too is not good enough for those on here. This choice is Bozo's choice & Phil Gould is not happy to be losing him so I guess that says something.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEQANbRAA5ilKtXfcAQi53knMZiCQ

Insight into what his players think of him:- (old article btw)

Trent Barrett to Manly rumours continue as Panthers assistant coach misses training

THERE were some notable absentees from Panthers training on Monday. Matt Moylan watched on with the aid of crutches, Josh Mansour limped around the gym in a leg brace and Jamie Soward never emerged from the doctor’s office.

However, by far the most glaring omission was that of Penrith assistant coach Trent Barrett.

The former NSW and Australian star has been heavily linked to take over the head-coaching job at Manly from Geoff Toovey.

It appears that would most likely happen next season, but reports have suggested the switch could even be looming within weeks.

Either way, it seemed unusual for the Panthers’ assistant to not be on-field with coach Ivan Cleary and fellow staffers David Fairleigh, Shane Elford, Ronnie Palmer and Cameron Ciraldo putting the players through their paces.

Penrith officials were vague on Barrett’s whereabouts, but it’s understood the attack coach was upstairs, away from the cameras, preparing video for future sessions.

Even in his absence, Barrett was the talk at training on Monday, with players admitting they were shocked to hear news of his potential exit.

Young prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard said Barrett would leave a “massive” hole if he was to part ways with the Panthers.

“I’ve only just heard about it. I hope it’s not true, Baz is massive,” said Campbell-Gillard.

“He’s helped me, he’s helped everyone at this club — especially the youngsters. He’s massive to this club and I hope he doesn’t go.

“I think he could coach anywhere. He’s definitely a massive asset to a club and he’s just football smart and just knows what he’s talking about. He’ll get a job somewhere but I hope he doesn’t leave here.”

Isaah Yeo said as a young player, the unusual prospect of a coach switching allegiances mid-season was something for people higher up the food chain to ponder.

However, the young forward agreed with Campbell-Gillard that Manly would be lucky to have Barrett.

“He’s a great coach … he’s our brains behind most things,” he said.

Veteran halfback Peter Wallace said Barrett was well and truly ready to become a head coach — and said his ability to relate to players was one of his greatest assets.

“He’s a real good bloke, very fair,” said Wallace.

Soward arrived at Penrith on Monday without the sling he left the stadium in last Friday night, in a positive sign that he will pass fitness tests during the week and face the Storm.

In a positive for the injury-ravaged Panthers, centre Dean Whare trained on Monday and looks set to finally return from ongoing hamstring trouble.

Whare is capable of filling in for Moylan (out for six weeks, ankle) at fullback, although that job is most likely going to go to young excitement machine Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

Agree, but...

Maguire and Robinson were both successful head coaches in England before getting their current roles, and

Bellamy was Bennett's long term assistant at the Broncos. He also was able to benefit from cap cheating over a long period to keep the nucleus of his team together until he claimed his maiden premiership in 2012.

Not saying Barrett won't be any good but it's hard to draw the conclusion that he will be just by comparing him to those other 3 average ex players turned successful coaches.

Playing ability is not really relevant to coaching prowess, but coaching record (something Barrett has not yet had the chance to develop) is a much better indicator.
As an aside, I wasn't comparing him to those three to suggest he would be good, I was countering the argument that he wouldn't be because he wasn't a great player in the eyes of some. I don't know how good he will be but others who are smarter than I think he will.

Great article from the roar from Terry Z.

The bit that I don't get is the supposed animosity that has flowed from the Gifty non-signing. It is hard to understand that this has had such an impact that has split the club. We were a team in decline as an older squad was past its best. I know the story abounds that Toovey is being shafted because of the Gift non-signing, but surely there has to be more to this story than that.

My understanding is that the Barrett connection with Rep Squads has some players keen to play with him as Head coach.

Great article from the roar from Terry Z.

The bit that I don't get is the supposed animosity that has flowed from the Gifty non-signing. It is hard to understand that this has had such an impact that has split the club. We were a team in decline as an older squad was past its best. I know the story abounds that Toovey is being shafted because of the Gift non-signing, but surely there has to be more to this story than that.

My understanding is that the Barrett connection with Rep Squads has some players keen to play with him as Head coach.

Well I like the sound of that !!

I will support whoever the coach is but I fail to understand why go away from a winning formula of ex Manly players as coach. We have tried outsiders in the past and it has failed. I wonder what makes the owners think that Trent Barrett will be the exception to this?

Toovey is a good coach imo and has done a great job with the circumstances he had to deal with - but he didn't side with the Penns and now that they are the sole owners it seems Toovey will be sacked because of in house politics

What was Haslers experience & coaching record when he took over a Manly team languishing near the bottom of the ladder? How is this any different.
Two reasons spring to mind...
He was Manly.
He was cheap at the time.
(Not necessarily in that order)

Last edited:
Not that it means much but Trents house is up for auction this weekend and his kids are speaking about changing schools next term

Doesn't help 2V but just confirms what we know so we better get used to it quick or we will have half our supporters death riding before the season starts without hearing what TB has to say or how he is supported by the players

If I had a choice of having the coach supported by fans or players I would take the players and tell the fans to go find a club with a coach they like because player and coach change overs will continue in today's game

Best analogy I heard is that today's game is not managed as a sport anymore but rather a top rating TV show

Long way of saying that we better get over it soon because I reckon you will find 2v has and he is the best poker player ever

Toovey is a Manly legend & with Hasler, the most passionate coach in the game - then you add that word many forget....loyalty!!
The only issue imo is some of Tooves selections?
At times this has been forced through injury, but a few players who continually get the gig & play poorly over & over.....@:eek:

Yes Phil, that's why they're sacking him. Because he dropped an 18 year old back to Under 20s.
I should add that I sleep at night, secure in the belief that our 11-year old Himalayan cat (not the sharpest breed, even by feline standards) could run mental rings around Phil Zerofield.

We will get over it in 2016, this year is all about 2v for me @:cool:
I hear you Mate but unfortunately next year starts now and includes not only the club and decision makers but also how us supporters stick together and while I feel for Geoff I think it's harsh bagging out Barrett and holding him account is just a waste of energy and won't help our cause

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4