tooves on NRL on Fox

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
did not like that last comment from Tooves about hoping there are not too many big name players out for Saturdays clash.Given he wouldn't know what is going on at Melbourne outside of Cronk you would think he was referring to us.I hope not!

2v is a smart operator, he was just feeding that dope Ikin the cliches :cool:

The gist of the interview was
1) nothing to be gained by watching The Echidna's ineptitude
2) being handed a raft of rule changes brought about by Marketers, is not how the NRL should operate
3) Chee Kam is the young player that we should watch out for

Whilst I took poetic licence with the transcribing, the little Master was censoring his disdain of the NRL :D
We are in good hands - bring on the Pretenders to the Throne!

DCE will be on Fox 1 @6:30 adst Thursday

What I like about Tooves is he is just so his own man. You could tell he wasn't happy about the rule changes being thrust on the teams so he said so. Also another good point he made was, lets stop tinkering with the game for a while. The product is good, so let's stop trying to change it.....I whole heartedly agree.

And the best point was regarding defensive rugby league. The best game last year was the 4-0 loss to the Roosters, we want to see more of those games where it is a bit brutal and a slogathon and just waiting to see which team will break.

All in all I thought Tooves was superb, he's just on the edge of blowing it and saying 'look Greenberg and Smith etc etc are a bunch of knobs and should be shot!'

^ Exactly - he should win the Dally M for self restraint :angel:

Firstly, for Ikin jibing him about watching the GF so that he could learn from the mistakes :mad: No comment on the forward pass try by the Panel - as it was being replayed FFS :mad: 2v was ready to deck somebody :p

Secondly, for the lack of consultation with 14 Coaches by the NRL before coming up with these rule changes. @ (Robinson, Bennet and Sheens were the Panel , along with 11,000 Fans :huh:)

HappilyManly said:
Firstly, for Ikin jibing him about watching the GF so that he could learn from the mistakes :mad:

I've haven't seen the context in which he said it (jovially, seriously, etc) but if he was just trying to have a dig, he has now achieved platinum douchebag status.

I thought toovey was having a bit of a go at the Chook coach when he was being critical of the constant changes to rules and to how late in the piece clubs were informed of the rule changes. He made a clear argument that there should be a much better process.

Robinson was on the committee that made those changes, and he was very defensive, he kept saying that senior league men like Sheens and Bennett should know what is good for the game. Don't know why Robinson was on the committee and Toovey wasn't, but Toovey clearly won that exchange imo.

Apart from the result anyone who doesn't think the Manly & Roosters semi final wasn't the best NRL game for a long time knows diddly about rugby league.

This infatuation with making the game faster is bizarre. Where does this theory come from?

For example the new rule that it is a tap instead of a scrum after a 40/20. The team that kicked the 40/20 will probably race up to take a quick tap knowing the defenders will have to run back another 10m past the tap to get onside to make a tackle. They want to tap and run against no defence. How is that good rugby league? How is that a contest?

It is that same rubbish we saw in 2013 from 20m tap restarts after the wingers and fullbacks catch the ball on the full in their ingoal and race off for a quick tap before the defence can get back to 30m line.

How is it good exciting rugby league when the attack have no tacklers to beat?

Who are the fans supposedly upset that after a 40/20 it took 40 seconds to form a scrum 40 or 50m up the field?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/rules-are-all-about-the-interpretation-20140304-341xy.html

But McGuirk said Channel Nine was involved in discussion on the new rules.

‘‘Regarding the 40:20, they said they wouldn’t take a commercial break there anyway,’’ he said.

‘‘They are aware the fan’s joy is lost when there is a 40-second break as a scrum is set following a 40:20 kick.’’

I couldn't agree more BK.

Where are the "they" fans that said this would be good?

The NRL said that 400 minutes of footy was wasted with captain's challenging the referee.

That equates to around 2% of the total minutes played during the year.

If the NRL can spend time tallying that up why don't they spend that time looking at crucial refereeing mistakes that cost teams matches and the trophy?

But no! Lets tally up time wasting. A bit like the pot calling the kettle black I suppose.

Brissie Kid said:
Apart from the result anyone who doesn't think the Manly & Roosters semi final wasn't the best NRL game for a long time knows diddly about rugby league.

Yes, and it was a game we should have clearly won. Had we won that game we would have won the grand final; I have no doubt about it. The irony is that while we were the better side in that match and lost, the next week against Cronulla we won when the Sharks were better.
As we all know, in the grand final Shame Hayne was Easts' man-of-the-match.
I'm still bitter. Let's get 2014 underway so that the memory fades.

Watching a replay of that semi final on Fox now. Once again the amount of last tackle penalties to Easts that got them out of trouble was garbage while we got nothing coming out of our end while they got away with constant slowing the play the ball.

It will be the same in 2014 unfortunately. It's almost as if the referees association are subconsciously making up for when Arko and Bozo were about.

Brissie Kid said:
It will be the same in 2014 unfortunately. It's almost as if the referees association are subconsciously making up for when Arko and Bozo were about.
Arko was a canny CEO and Bozo a great player and coach. Neither were cheating/incompetent refs.
Going on some of the rulings last year I'd say they've been refereeing unconsciously.

Brissie Kid said:

This infatuation with making the game faster is bizarre. Where does this theory come from?

For example the new rule that it is a tap instead of a scrum after a 40/20. The team that kicked the 40/20 will probably race up to take a quick tap knowing the defenders will have to run back another 10m past the tap to get onside to make a tackle. They want to tap and run against no defence. How is that good rugby league? How is that a contest?

It is that same rubbish we saw in 2013 from 20m tap restarts after the wingers and fullbacks catch the ball on the full in their ingoal and race off for a quick tap before the defence can get back to 30m line.

How is it good exciting rugby league when the attack have no tacklers to beat?

Who are the fans supposedly upset that after a 40/20 it took 40 seconds to form a scrum 40 or 50m up the field?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/rules-are-all-about-the-interpretation-20140304-341xy.html

But McGuirk said Channel Nine was involved in discussion on the new rules.

‘‘Regarding the 40:20, they said they wouldn’t take a commercial break there anyway,’’ he said.

‘‘They are aware the fan’s joy is lost when there is a 40-second break as a scrum is set following a 40:20 kick.’’

The obsession with speeding up the game is making the game become more and more like tip. The rule change they trialled last year in the All Stars game where the tackle count kept getting restarted really worried me. It was tackle (1 sec) nope too slow, 6 more tackles, etc etc.

Why we keep wanting to change league is beyond me.

The no tackle rule is the way of the future. Some smart arse business man that gets to be CEO in the future will think of that one. He'll never have played football in his life but he'll be on Lindekin.

Well this is interesting. Roy Masters. The full story is worth a read too.

In the NRL, there are stats which excite the people who attend trivia nights and those which are only meaningful to coaches.

Sydney-based company Sportsdata once provided both types of statistics but the NRL and its online rights holder, Telstra, have engaged two organisations to do its work.

Champion Data, a Melbourne-based firm half owned by the AFL, will gather game statistics for the 2014 season and Prozone, a UK company more familiar with football, will provide the IT for coaches.

The NRL has instructed clubs not to employ Sportsdata but many are ignoring the directive because it has a proven history of data and a system coaches understand.

Sportsdata has 20 million statistics, time coded to the millisecond, with X and Y co-ordinates of the field showing the action.

They can tell you every time Slater dropped the ball in the right hand quarter of the field for every game he played, plus draw a line of the trajectory of the kick and the shape of the defensive line.

As the 2014 season progresses and Champion Data information is fed into the Prozone system, coaches will need to access recent information to formulate game plans.

If the data isn't available for processing in the short turnaround some clubs face, or the new system doesn't expose a detail which cost a team a win, there will be blow-ups.

While coaches, such as Des Hasler and Geoff Toovey have complained at NRL coaches meetings, no-one has yet gone public.

It has been suggested they fear retaliation from an NRL football department which controls both the stats and the referees.

If this is the case, it is pathetic.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-is-a-numbers-game-and-stats-the-way-they-like-it-20140307-34bic.html

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Robinson was on the committee that made those changes, and he was very defensive, he kept saying that senior league men like Sheens and Bennett should know what is good for the game. Don't know why Robinson was on the committee and Toovey wasn't, but Toovey clearly won that exchange imo.

I agree, I can understand Bennett and sort of understand sheens but how robinson got nominated on to the panel when he hadn't even coach first grade nrl. I would like to see the members of this panel rotated, at least one of them rotating off each year, surely that is only fair

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6