Tony Williams to earn Origin call up after seven week lay-off

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
by: David Riccio
May 13, 2012 12:00AM
LOOK out, Queensland, Ricky Stuart is set to unleash T-Rex on this year's Origin series.

Coach Stuart is poised to gamble on Manly's 118kg wrecking ball Tony Williams when he announces a 19-man Blues squad this afternoon.

Despite not having played for nine weeks due to suspension, Williams will be one of Stuart's shock weapons as he bids to end Queensland's six-year Origin dominance.

Stuart will name a squad today as opposed to a team due to an injury concern over Test backrower Anthony Watmough and the threat of Glenn Stewart being charged by the NRL judiciary over a high tackle in Friday night's win against Brisbane.

After almost three months of speculation, pressure and innuendo over the make-up of the Blues team, Stuart will today announce that:

* DUMPED Penrith centre Michael Jennings will become the first player in almost 30 years to be chosen from reserve grade to wear the Sky Blue jumper;

* OUT-OF-FORM Eels star Jarryd Hayne will start on the wing, with Manly's Brett Stewart at fullback;

* WESTS Tigers hooker Robbie Farah has beaten Michael Ennis and Ryan Hinchcliffe for the No. 9 jumper;

* SEA Eagles rookie Jamie Buhrer and Cowboys enforcers James Tamou and Tariq Sims will make their Origin debut;

* SKIPPER Paul Gallen will start the match in the front row with Ben Creagh to be used as front-row rotation from the bench;

* AND providing he comes through today's clash with the Melbourne Storm at Toyota Stadium, Todd Carney will continue his redemption story by partnering Mitchell Pearce in the halves.

But the selection of Williams and Jennings will be the biggest talking points when Stuart announces his side at 5pm from League Central at Moore Park.

Not since Noel "Crusher" Cleal have the Blues boasted a back-rower with the size and athleticism of Williams.

The Manly back-rower, who has been working tirelessly with Sea Eagles head conditioner Donnie Singe, has been in regular contact with Stuart and has left no doubt that he is ready to fire.

"I've been doing all the training with the Manly boys but then I've also been doing heaps of extras on top of that as well with our trainer Donnie Singe," Williams told The Sunday Telegraph recently.

"Obviously I'd love to be a part of Origin. It's the best of the best so you want to be involved."

Singe added: "If he got picked for Origin, with the pure speed and aggression of an Origin game, I'm pretty sure the coach would choose the appropriate minutes for T-Rex to be effective."

Jennings, who played in front of a few hundred fans in Auckland yesterday, gave his injured shoulder the test he wanted in 80 minutes of NSW Cup action for Windsor.

The last reserve grade player to be selected for Origin was Manly hooker Ray Brown in 1983.

But Stuart is an unabashed fan of Jennings and believes he can revitalise his game once he enters Origin camp.

Most contentious areas for Stuart centre around the make-up of his back row.

NSW mainstays Glenn Stewart, Luke Lewis, Ben Creagh and Greg Bird will be named today.

However, there is also pressure to include Watmough and rising star Sims.

Stuart will most likely include the extra two players before making a call late next week on who to omit.

"It's a delicate decision to make because of the importance that the back row has on the dynamics of the team," Stuart said yesterday.

"I suppose it's a good position to be in when you've got to choose between players that you know have and will handle Origin football."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/tony-williams-to-earn-origin-call-up-after-seven-week-lay-off/story-e6frexv9-1226353749014

Early rising on Saturday after the Boncos win, very seedy I read The Australian (Brisbane paper) and read the story of T-Rex playing SOO.

The story started.... Peter Peters said "T-Rex is ready....

Nothing about the defeat of the Boncos by Manly but a story by Zorba who has nothing to do with Manly.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8