1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Williams- the new heavyweight

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Meet the new heavyweight

By Josh Massoudhttp://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23855636-5006066,00.html

NRL wingers have a new heavyweight champion.
    [​IMG]
    Meet Tony Williams - the 113kg man mountain who bulked up on triple McChicken burgers to the point where he made his debut last weekend as the biggest winger in the game's history.

In a brutal performance that won him the Eels players' player award first-up, Williams treated his Canberra opposites with extraordinary disdain.

Reviving memories of Parramatta great Eric Grothe, the 20-year-old brushed off four hapless Raiders in a barnstorming rampage down the left-hand touchline.

After unseating Grothe's son Eric Jr from Parramatta's line-up, Williams boasts the size and strength to eclipse even The Guru's menacing presence.

For starters, he weighs 24kg more and stands at 192cm. He can bench press 180kg and kick goals at 80 per cent too.

In a historical perspective, those stats obliterate any winger who has come before him. In a contemporary perspective, Williams is just 2cm shy of modern-day giant Israel Folau but weights another 10kg.

"I've got no idea how I got so big. I just eat a lot I suppose,'' the Cabramatta junior said. "At home, mum makes heaps of Tongan food - taro and corned beef. And I also eat a lot of Maccas. My favourite is a triple chicken burger with extra cheese. I also have two cheeseburgers on the side.''

Ronald should be so lucky. First-up opposite Bronx Goodwin, switched from fullback to mark Williams last Saturday night, was not.

"I hadn't seen him before, so to look up and see how big he is was a bit daunting,'' the 83kg Raiders speedster said. "He bumped a few of us off, and the coach wasn't real happy with it.''

Parramatta fans' joy at Williams' debut is tempered by his impending departure to Manly. The Sea Eagles swooped to sign him on a three-year deal believed to be worth $450,000 and Parramatta junior coaching staff were devastated to learn years of development work would be realised at Brookvale.

Under the NRL's controversial transfer rules, the Eels still had a chance to re-sign Williams before last Tuesday. Officials made eleventh-hour endeavours, but ultimately withdrew because it would have cost them three or four promising juniors to match Manly's offer.

Resigned to his departure, club insiders felt bitter-sweet about how Williams belatedly burst on to the scene after a quiet start to the season in the Toyota Cup.

"(My coach) Michael Hagan didn't really have to tell me why I wasn't playing NRL - I knew myself I had to get more involved,'' he said. "The more I get involved, the more I feel I can be unstoppable."

2. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I just hope he can turn.

3. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Ah - what turn gay?  You are as bad as Matabele

4. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    Gee it's almost like looking in a mirror, except I am not as tanned as Tony.

5. Nutzcraw

Nutzcraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The only resemblance between you and tony is the parramatta singlet  ;)

6. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Gee I hope the nutritionist can solve that Macca's addiction. That overly processed junk is hardly the perfect fuel for a performance engine.

7. The Wheel

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    At least Tony & George Rose will have something in common

8. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Wheel, what I meant was these over large hunky gorgeous guys have a problem with turning and chasing (the ball stupid).  Grothe is a particular example.  Anyway my guess is he's headed into the second row. 

9. The Wheel

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Thanks for clarifying that DSM

10. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    ?? Not that there is anything wrong with that ??

11. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    My god when did this site turn gay?

The whole world is turning Gay

12. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Good on him, would like to have a feed with the bloke one day.

13. The Wheel

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Is that a feed or a dinner date  :-* :eek: 8)

14. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I see he has been named again this week for the match against the Tigpies. I assume he will mark Tuiaki so we should get a good look at what his defence is like as Tuiaki is a strong runner of the ball.

15. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Looks like Tuiaki is out so he will marking up on Beau Ryan. 113kg v 87kg

16. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    Must not have recovered after monty smashed him last week

BTW how long a spell did Burns get ?

17. Kiwi Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    4 weeks with the early guilty plea

18. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I imagine that he is still feeling the effects of Burnsy's cheap shot on him as well, but the official reasoning behind Tuiaki's withdrawal is that he has been in hospital all week having an infected boil removed from his arm. Nice.

19. Kiwi Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Is that a feed or a dinner date   :-* :eek: 8)
    [/quote]

Will see how well he goes for us LOL

20. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 20
    Anyone see him on TV now? Made 2 massive busts up the middle just after half time.
    Is probably just as big as Willie Mason. Can scatter a defensive line like him and looks pretty quick.