Tony Williams DUI

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Rusty link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=183001.msg259004#msg259004 date=1271139619]
[quote author=Fro link=topic=183001.msg258990#msg258990 date=1271135774]
Wake up Duff, they are role models whether they like it or not, as soon as they accept an NRL contract they are aware they are looked up to by kids everywhere.

if a teenager now sees this as ok because his hero does it is that alright, this stupid S**t is bad enough when it is done by drunken idiots everywhere, when it is given cred by a public figure it is a lot worse.

Wake up Fro.

People are accoutable for their own actions and the idea of "role models" is just a modern invention for the blame everyone else brigade.

He is accountable for what he did but not for some abstract concept of what effect he may have on someone he may or may not have met who may or may not exist.

Give a young bloke a break.
[/quote]

Nonsense

Everyone is responsible to the law, you, me and Tony Williams. We all suffer the same consequences for the same actions. That is until we accept a job for hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in part as a representative of a brand. At that point most of us would accept we had another responsibility beyond the law to our employer.

That is what some people don't seem to understand, these guys are responsible because they represent Manly, not just legally but also because what they do will result in it being harder for the club to appeal to a wide fan base.

Instead of 'Role model' read 'PR'.
[/quote]

Well if it's PR, who's really at fault?

He who did it or he who reported it?

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Agree with some points from both of you, but am with Duff on the role model thing

Role models imo are people you see most days and learn from growing up

I was as sports mad as you could get as a kid, Cliff Lyons, Chris Cairns, Matthew Ridge, Steve Menzies, Geoff Toovey etc were my biggest heroes in the world, but not once did I ever see them do something and think S**t, if he is doing that, I better head out and do the same

You can't tell me you didn't want a go of Watson's missus after Ridge having a go...

He will be suspended. Gallop will make sure of it the C U Next Tuesday.

Hoppa to replace Williams, Hoppa playing outside of Jamie Lyon would be ideal for his NRL debut. Lyon will look after him.

Manly winger Tony Williams is facing a possible suspension from the NRL club after being charged with drink-driving early Monday morning.

Williams was charged with mid-range drink-driving after allegedly blowing 0.106 - more than twice the legal limit - when pulled over on the Cumberland Highway in Smithfield at 3am on Tuesday morning.

Williams' licence was immediately suspended and he will face Fairfield Local Court on May 3.

At least Lowie has got on the front foot with this one and controlled the media and NRL....

Silly silly boy, especiaally when all was going so well for him.

Now bring on the redemption.

What did the NRL do with the Roosters drunk guy?  Anyway, Whare is a suitable replacement.  I too was worrying about Big T's ability to manage Slater.  To big, to slow.  I wouldn't bring in Hoppa.  Leave the team as it is and bring in Whare.    

Des' punishment for him will be a days running up and down the sandhills at Palm beach.  He won't drink for a long time after that.  

Whare is not ready for Fg yet - young hoppa will be on the wing.  Looking forward to that after what Foran and Hodkinson have shown this year.  

I think Whare is ready but hes a centre.. so Id prefer Hoppa at fullback.. but come to think of the suggestion of him outside Lyon.. scoring 1 or 2 off Lyon might do him the world of good especially against melbourne then we can move him to fullback against the Titans.

Hoppa seems to be on fire in the lower grades. Agree that Lyon can nurse him on the wing.

Williams is a 'role model' whether anyone likes it or not: that is a poison as well as a cure. the media make sure the famous and leading lights come down heavy as it's good copy.

problem his he's also a 20 y. old and I don't know about you folks, but I was a complete idiot at that age (I proudly describe myself as 'not a COMPLETE idiot' now :).

The club could (if they haven't already) impose a never drive if you have had a drink rule; perhaps they have and this is why Lowe is saying 'inexcusable'.

Smithfield at 3am

so After Lowe Kicks him in the Ass (Graham Lowe http://www.mwse.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=24497# ) Des will throw a door at him

CliffyIsGod link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183001.msg259005#msg259005 date=1271140053]
Agree with some points from both of you, but am with Duff on the role model thing

Role models imo are people you see most days and learn from growing up

I was as sports mad as you could get as a kid, Cliff Lyons, Chris Cairns, Matthew Ridge, Steve Menzies, Geoff Toovey etc were my biggest heroes in the world, but not once did I ever see them do something and think S**t, if he is doing that, I better head out and do the same

You can't tell me you didn't want a go of Watson's missus after Ridge having a go...
[/quote]

Haha, she is bloody over rated mate

I'm not sure that Williams will get stood down just yet, but if he does I definitely don't think Hoppa is the answer, especially not at fullback. Any chance Wolfman will make an early comeback ? What was his injury, dislocated collarbone or something wasn't it ? Maybe a needle would get him through.

Stupid act by Tony,but i would put it down to being young and stupid etc etc.....pretty selfish move to drive drunk at any time let alone playing for an NRL club,they all know the repercussions of being caught,i wonder who will be brought in if he is stood down for a week?Hmmmmmmmmmm...

OH yeah and i Have been a big supporter of T rex since he signed saying he will improve come good etc,and he has been improving and playing well too,but i just wonder what space his head is in to get in the car and drive drunk (besides the fact he can kill himself or others) is he really thinking about the team and all their loyal supporters? Disrespectful to all aspects of the club,leads me to think perhaps his mind isnt focused on the game,like when he didnt even turn around to be there when that kick nearly didn't find touch on the W/E,i know thats knit-picking but cmon wheres his head at?In saying that i hope he doesnt get the boot from the club i do like him,but if you are a professional footballer on his salary your top priority should be your club,your training,its supporters and winning games.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6