Tony williams bashers.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
until he plays well consistently he wont get my vote as a regular first grader.Its pretty obvious isnt it.One week people like yourself are on here calling him a superstar,the next people like me are calling him hopeless.

Unless his attitude improves and he turns up each week he is warming david williams seat for him.he does not have the pressure of a playmaker,all he has to do is run hard and try to catch the football.it aint rocket science.

in two games i have seen I have higher hopes for Oldfield.

He played very well last night. I use The Beast as T-Rex yardstick, and last night, it looked as though it were the opposite. He is a weapon when running forward with teeth gritted. He should develop a controlled off-load (which I have already seen him do - we can all agree he has wonderful hands) and be a mobile, skilled prop around the middle of the ruck.

I'm actually starting to see more better games from him than flat games. He only rarely has had shockers (one the other week), so in my opinion, is always improving.

His pluses for out-weigh his minuses imo. He just needs to be used in a way that would show his full potential.

Anyone see how well Matt Prior, and Jamal Idris have done since moving from the wings / centres to prop? It can happen.

Man, I wish you all saw T-Rex at the world cup in the forwards. He was a gun. 

I agree Susan, Oldfield looks to be a good player in the making...and maybe Ryan is right, play him in the forwards in 2011

well done Ryan, the kid is 21 and he does some ordinary things but he can do things the rest can't. A big off season with forwards coach will help Tony. David and Brett will be back so he won't be on the wing anymore. The good thing is he is playing 1st grade, week in, wek out aqnd that will benefit in the long run. Hope, we don't train him up to bloom somewhere else though!! :-[

Pretty simple equation really.  No Tony Williams yesterday = loss.

It is well known that the Beast is the key to the Warriors attack and the Beast was effectively nullified.  And even psychologically bustled into mistakes.  Very, very few wingers are able to do that. With all respect to the significant talents of the two week messiah on the other wing, like David Williams, he would have been a clear target on the right wing and would have been trampled by the Beast.  

On top of that, Tony Williams defused the significant Beast bomb threat and scored two tries to boot.  The incessant T-Rex whingeing on here - no matter what - tells us plenty more about the whingers than the 21 year old kid himself.

Williams might get his chance in the forwards next week with Watmough and Rodney out ad the prospect of Farrer and Hopoate back.

Tuesday morning, there were Tony Williams topics by the 100s, today you can barely find one, about sums up his performance

I've been trying to stay out of the T-rex debate, as to be honest I'm not quite sure where I stand - he's the kind of player who can somehow manage be the best player on the field and the worst player at the same time.   ???

I think last night was a good example of that.  I certainly don't think he did enough to silence the T-rex bashers, despite scoring twice.  There is still too much running sideways and a frustrating lack of urgency (one particular instance when they put a bomb up comes to mind).  He may be good at finishing off tries, but his defence is a big liability as he doesn't seem to know where to position himself.

I noticed a couple of times when he had a soft run it looked like somebody said something to him and he backed it up with a more powerful one.  I think this is a good thing - maybe someone on the field has worked out how to fire him up!

He needs to play a lot better (as does the rest of the team) if we are going to be a force in the finals.

bob dylan link said:
Williams might get his chance in the forwards next week with Watmough and Rodney out ad the prospect of Farrer and Hopoate back.
I think that would be a mistake, all his training would have been to focus on his speed and agility at the expense of his strength and power.

LOL

I enjoy watching Tony on the wing he's a great finisher and confident under the high ball. I'm not so sure about this push to get him into the forwards, after all he sometimes switches off defensively at critical times in the game and I'm also a little unsure of his desire to roll up his sleeves when the going gets tough. I think he's mentally a little to immature to get down and dirty in the trenches at this stage of his development, maybe a good off season will make all the difference.

Remember when he first came to Manly and there was an article saying he wanted to be the new Beaver. I think that coming on as an impact forward will be his best spot when we get all our troops back.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Just saw that he made 11 tackle busts last night, that is a huge number in 1 game
Just a question for the sake of opinion Kiwi...Where would you ideally play Tony Williams if it were your call ?

Probably off the bench, at full strength, but with the spot we are in now injury wise, wing is his slot for us

This is what Des wanted for his backline this season

Stewart
Robertson
Matai
Farrar
Wolfman
Lyon
Foran

susan link said:
until he plays well consistently he wont get my vote as a regular first grader.Its pretty obvious isnt it.One week people like yourself are on here calling him a superstar,the next people like me are calling him hopeless.

Unless his attitude improves and he turns up each week he is warming david williams seat for him.he does not have the pressure of a playmaker,all he has to do is run hard and try to catch the football.it aint rocket science.

in two games i have seen I have higher hopes for Oldfield.

You are kidding.  If you think David Williams is going to walk back into this team when he's fit you are on drugs.  Fortunately for us Des picks the team and his opinion of Tony Williams is a lot higher than yours.

Why is it that Oldfield, in his second game of first grade made 135 metres, while T-Rex who has a season under his belt and about 20 kg on Oldfield, can only make 85m?
His dummy half/hit-up work is poor to say the least.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8