Tongue tackle 'piss poor'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan

Tongue tackle 'piss poor'

By Josh Massoud | July 02, 2008
0,,6123031,00.jpg

"Piss poor" ... Misi Taulapapa's controversial challenge
on Alan Tongue.
Photograph: courtesy Foxsport / The Daily Telegraph

SHARKS winger Misi Taulapapa has apologised for his controversial challenge on Alan Tongue, which furious Canberra officials branded "piss poor".

Raiders general manager Don Furner was livid after the NRL match review committee yesterday cleared Taulapapa for blindsiding Tongue off-the-ball in a hit that could force Tongue out for a month with rib cartilage damage.

Taulapapa struck Tongue as the Raiders skipper was tackling Cronulla teammate David Simmons in the 45th minute of Monday night's clash.

Tongue reeled away in agony, and was replaced moments later. Scans yesterday confirmed cracked left rib cartilage, an injury that usually requires a month to heal.

Canberra coach Neil Henry dubbed the hit a "reverse prowler'' in reference to Riley Brown's infamous third-man tackle on Craig Wing in Round one.
Related Links

* Full details: NRL teams for Round 17

But Furner last night went a step further, labelling Taulapapa's challenge a "cheap shot'' and expressing "disbelief'' he was not charged.

"What happened to Craig Wing was an ugly look for our game,'' Furner said. "But at least Wing was in possession of the football. Tongue was making a tackle for God's sake. It was a piss poor effort (from Taulapapa).

"But what happens? He gets off with only a penalty and we've got our captain out for four weeks.''

Tongue's reaction was measured, but he could not hide his disappointment over the match review committee's lack of action. "I can understand what Misi was trying to do, and I'm not hugely bitter,'' Tongue said.

"But I've watched the replay and it's something that should not happen. My back is exposed and he's come in and taken me clean out. He did something the wrong way and I'm the one suffering.

"You'd like to think if it was Brett Kimmorley who got injured, they'd come up with the same decision.''

Despite the prognosis, Tongue was named to face Melbourne and vowed to do "everything in my power to play.''

"I'm already booked in to see the physio, the osteo, acupuncture ... you name it,'' the tough lock said.

Match Review Committee chairman Greg McCallum personally informed Furner of his panel's decision yesterday morning. McCallum later told The Daily Telegraph the NRL's edict over prowler tackles did not apply in this instance because Taulapapa did not effect a shoulder charge.

"It could be argued that Misi thought Tongue had gotten the ball, and that's why he came in and made a conventional-style tackle,'' McCallum added.

Taulapapa was tight-lipped last night, but said he tried to apologise to Tongue immediately afterwards. "I can't say too much, but I'm really sorry he's been injured because Alan Tongue is such a great player,'' Taulapapa said.

"It happened so quickly.The Canberra management and fans were giving it to me and I tried to apolgise when he went off.''

Stuarts teams are always coached to put on the illegal and grubby stuff.  He always coaches to lie down and stay down to pull the penalties.  he's a grub, always was, and his players play accordingly.

LOL, was watching Manly v Canberra 95 earlier on and thought of DSMs post

Spud tackled Stuart, as Spud was getting up Stuart elbowed him in the chops. As he was lying on the ground Spud picked him up and started belting the **** out of him, got 2-3 decent ones in.

Was a top match that 1, 3 tries to Hoppa, and at 1 stage we were playing with 11 men as Cunningham and Toovey were binned within minutes of each other

Putting Stuart together with two proven grubs in Gallen and Bird is a really dangerous thing and the NRL needs to act on it.  It's a bit like having a dog that has bitten children several times.

If you think it will get better and the problem will fix itself, a child is going to get killed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6