Tommy's View- Watmough the only one worth keeping

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Might make a good double act:

Gould for the streetsmarts and ideas, Tommy for the streetfighting/passion/carrying the slab etc

With Andrew Johns in the background

DSM5 link said:
Jethro, the basic skills needed in league is to hold onto the ball and make the tackle.  

Yes I know DSM and I wasn't doubting your words in my previous reply to your post. I was just pointing out in general (sorry I did say "you" but I was only using the word "you" as a term for "people" in general and not you literally) that the QLD tries didn't involve any skill (maybe I should have said "special skills") for them to be scored. NSW just kept dropping the ball and QLD just had to basically pick it up and put it over the line. The NSW defence against the try that Inglis made was a joke. The NSW guys just basically looked at him going past, made an attempted shirt grab,  and allowed him to just run over the top of Gidley. Both Lockyer & Smith's tries were absolute gifts as well. Other than the performances from Hayne & Choc, that was the most inept perfomance that I have ever seen by a NSW side.

Agreed with all you've said re NSW Jethro.  I just can't see NSW beating Qld on skill alone.  Belting some out of the game maybe, but you run a risk.  Passiona seems to bring out the grub in some.  Gallen for example.  I thought Barrett should have been sent of for his hit on Inglis.  Premeditated, late, high, with menace.  But on the dkill level one only has to look at the Qld front row.  They made easy metres gliding up to the defense and backing for more.  Skillful players make the oppotunities happen.   

Agree qld did not have to be legendary to beat nsw this series. if anything I think they were guilty of being dragged down to nsw' level. forgivable in the 2nd game given their poor preparation and injuries.

but over the 4 series this is one of the best qld sides imho.

re. watmough, one of the things he brought to nsw was skill in attack that has not been recognised as much as his powerhouse defense. he was creating space for people, putting them into holes and overlaps, then bending the line back himself. he was the most dangerous nsw attacker out there by a good stretch.

and re. big mal and henry, kiwi eagle is spot on; but I couldn't put tommy in the 'head coach' role. nsw need an 'ideas man' as boss.

DSM5 link said:
Agreed with all you've said re NSW Jethro.  I just can't see NSW beating Qld on skill alone.  Belting some out of the game maybe, but you run a risk.  Passiona seems to bring out the grub in some.  Gallen for example.  I thought Barrett should have been sent of for his hit on Inglis.  Premeditated, late, high, with menace.  But on the dkill level one only has to look at the Qld front row.  They made easy metres gliding up to the defense and backing for more.  Skillful players make the oppotunities happen.   

Barrett been sent?  Cmon, harden the fark up.  It was high but Inglis was on his knees from memory and Barrett just stuffed up trying to smash him, not a send off offence. 

I've read somewhere that Bellamy got the players he wanted.  Why then do we have selectors?
Garts, Inglis was sitting on his arse looking towards his own line when Barrett came up behind and with a closed fist, on the end of a swinging arm,  smashed him around his head.  Not that I care, but it was a send off.  Two weeks is what I call soft.  I don't mind a stink, but that was blatant Bellamy rubbish.  The same crap put Stewart out of the 07 Grand Final.  Crocker should have gone then as well. 

Because he was sitting on the deck with the ball in his hands.  All Barret had to do was place his hand on his shoulder... held.  It was an unnecessary hit, as the officials after the game saw so too.  Two weeks.   

**** that is soft DSM !!!

I only play Div 2 footy, and our coach would kill us if a bloke was lying there and we only put a hand on him.

Meninga couldn't coach a cooked pudding out of a cake tin - but he has passion and a love for QLD. Henry is the brains. Give him some tactical genius but put someone like Tommy with passion, hatred of the toads and someone who will get up the players to take on the side. Rep games are not won on tactical genius but in the end by who wants it most. Go and and crunch some toads.

Kiwi,I guess you thought Croker's hit on Stewart last year was cool as well.  I happen to think that a swinging arm with a fist attached is not soft, just illegal.  You just don't have to do that sort of thing these days to win matches. 

Nothing wrong with barrett's hit except it was high... penalty sufficient.

Coach: Tommy Raudonikus
Assistants: Andrew Johns, Des Hasler, Mark Geyer

Selectors: Benny Elias, Gus Gould, Peter Sterling.

nuff said

DSM5 link said:
Kiwi,I guess you thought Croker's hit on Stewart last year was cool as well.  I happen to think that a swinging arm with a fist attached is not soft, just illegal.  You just don't have to do that sort of thing these days to win matches. 

2 entirely different situation's DSM, and far from my original question about how Barrett's hit was late

Barrett's hit was not cool, not legal, and he has been fairly suspended for it

Crocker's hit was not cool, not legal, and he got away with it

Inglis on the ground, Barrett rushing up, placing a hand on his back and saying "There you go GI, you are held now, would you like a hand up to play the ball" is soft.
Inglis on the ground, Barrett rushing up and putting a good hit into his back is legal, and what should have happened. But not into the jaw

Dsm I guess you want the shoulder pads back in the game better still lets pad them up like NFL.

We could get johnson and Johnson as the major sponsor and have a whole lot of cotton wool for them and tissues to cry into every time they are tackled.

No, not at all.  It's just that I don't like blatant illegal play.  I didn't like it when Crocker did it to Brett  and I didn't like it when done to other players.  What I said, and I don't consider it soft, is that all Barrett had to do was hold the guy.  Putting one into his back when he's sitting facing away from you is not cool in my opinion.  Win, but win fair.   

That then gives inglis a quick play the ball and advantage whilst nsw struggle to get their line set. Barrett needed to dominate the tackle. You could see that he tried to hit his shoulder but ended up getting him around the head. I doubt he meant to get him round the jaw.

Can't understand why you guys are giving tommy flack he's just complimented choc.The problem with nsw is they haven't had a decent halfback in four years.

I thought that Barrett's hit on Inglis was a swinging arm straight to the head on first look but on one of the camera angles you can see that the arm initially hit him about halfway between the elbow and shoulder but Inglis at the same time was lifting his arm which in turn deflected Barrett's arm straight into Inglis's head.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6