Tom T, Gutherson and Hiku

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyMatt

Reserve Grader
It is obvious to all that Tom T is earmarked to take over at fullback when Stewart retires. With the obvious class of both Gutherson and Hiku, I would have thought that they would be specials to take over in the centres when Lyon and Matai retire. Yet with Gutherson out for the season (Who got a crack at centre in round one I know) and Lyon Dropping out last night, Williame got the centre spot instead of Hiku. I just think its strange and wanted to get what people thought about the future of these two. Hiku played in the Centres last season or the season before in a match where he made 170m and was praised on here, so why keep him on the wing in situations like last night? Surely he will be earning too much in future seasons to stay there.

Hiku has been filling a very important role for us at the back, he couldn't do that from centre so I was happy to see Williame get a go. Shame he got an early knock actually, I think he has ability.

Tom T is a wonderful young player who would be just as effective as a 5/8 In the game yesterday he made a try for one of the boys with a quick inside pass that split the defence. like all natural players he is 2 plays ahead of the game. Wow what a prosepct!

Not having a back on the bench has cost us dearly in many matches - two this season already. Coaches seem to think that back never get injured. Game 1: Gutherson and Foran injured. Last night: Williame and Matai. It totally disrupts the backline when you have forwards filling in.
Time for a rethink, and keep a reserve back in the 17.

I think for this season hiku is a winger and tooves would rather keep him in that role than have him shifting to centre for a few matches. I've got no doubt hiku could make the move to centre in a season or 2 but we've already had to do a lot of shuffling.

I think when Lyon retires Hiku will find his way into the centres, until then Toovey wants him on the wing. I think the reason he didn't move him is that he is still learning the wing role, and there is no point disrupting his progress here when he is going to be our winger all year.

The future is indeed bright. The Trbojevic brothers, Hiku, Gutherson and Sao. Plus some good prospects in the 20's. We still have the senior players for a couple more years and don't forget Buhrer.

As to what positions they'll all end up, to be honest I don't know. I'm just going to enjoy seeing them improve with each game.

Well Skivi may be out for a while, so Blair would move into center and either Jorge/Brayden get the wing spot.

Its unfortunate that Brayden was concussed in his first game - hope he does get another chance.:angel:

Tom still has a long way to go as a fullback. His positioning in defense needs work and probably his fitness needs improving to assist that. Yesterday he was jogging behind the line as the last point of defense in the red zone, watch Stewart, Slater Inglis etc and they sprint to get into position following the ball.

BLAIR.PNG

I feel that the Bulldogs, are winning without playing too well, have to say that is a good sign.
I feel we are playing like every game is a semi final and the boyz try so hard and still cannot come home with a comfy win for over 6 months.if u cant execute then FFS work on defense, thats how the Dogs win games and thats how we use to win games under Des.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wake up 2V, defense if ****house for too long, its good to be mongrel but the team needs technical guidance and training in defense structures for every team they play. Or simply go back to sliding line of def. It works for years why change it???????

Hopefully Tooves and the video analysis team are as handy with the pause button as you are and can show that to Cheyse. He's a decent player, safe as a house under the high ball and makes a lot of runs coming out of our own half, it's just those defensive plays when they have an overlap that he's poor at, even Sterlo pointed it out last night that it's a real problem in his play.

It's been so long that I've almost forgotten what Jorge was like but I'm fairly sure he was the opposite of Cheyse, awful under the high ball but usually pretty good making those defensive reads outside of Matai.

A bird told me Blair has been instructed by BA to run out of the defense line, just look how many times he did it in the Parra game, remember where he came from friends.
Get rid of him, he leaks 2-3 tries every **** game.

Back to NSW Cup for Blair till he learns how to read the ball movements by attacking teams.

Sorry Blair, its been an emotionally driven period and at manly we expect players to learn, you have had a looong time and still

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4