Tom Symonds

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Worst part is that he is the back rower running of Chez, so Chez makes a half break and then Symonds gets it and starts crabbing across field.

I've always been a T-Red fan, because he reminds me of Goldie Walker. I have to admit though that a lot of the attack is breaking down because of his error rate. All of which is a shame, because I've always considered he could develop into an especially good player.

Hopefully he still gets there, because he certainly works hard on the field. And his career has been dogged by injuries and being shuffled around the backline, when he is fit.

I've always been a T-Red fan, because he reminds me of Goldie Walker. I have to admit though that a lot of the attack is breaking down because of his error rate. All of which is a shame, because I've always considered he could develop into an especially good player.

Hopefully he still gets there, because he certainly works hard on the field. And his career has been dogged by injuries and being shuffled around the backline, when he is fit.

Not in the same class as goldie. Symonds is a depth back rower at best

I am not going to overly bag the guy, but I have seen enough really. He is still a good footballer and would go well in whatever the next tier comp is.

But for 1st grade, he has no mongrel, and has next to zero effectiveness. I don't want to watch him play for manly any more really.

Can we start using Leary, Brown, Mateo, move Lawrence or Myles back...anything really.

He, and probably Darcy would not get in the 17 at any club bar the Knights
DCE didn't really have much strike to go to last night, Tommy seemed to be ended up with the ball as the go to guy - but unfortunately he is no Milford or a ball playing forward like when we had Glen Stewert.

Still think its because we dont have a settled 1,6,7 and 9. We don't have enough strike linking in from the back, and the 5/8 isn't offering anything. Their is no cohesion in attack because players keep getting injured and they cannot put together a training session. A lot of times last night we needed those passes from DCE to hit a running back like the 5/8 or full back, not Symonds. Just dont think we have the personal. Buhrer is back next rd.

DCE didn't really have much strike to go to last night, Tommy seemed to be ended up with the ball as the go to guy - but unfortunately he is no Milford or a ball playing forward like when we had Glen Stewert.

Still think its because we dont have a settled 1,6,7 and 9. We don't have enough strike linking in from the back, and the 5/8 isn't offering anything. Their is no cohesion in attack because players keep getting injured and they cannot put together a training session. A lot of times last night we needed those passes from DCE to hit a running back like the 5/8 or full back, not Symonds. Just dont think we have the personal. Buhrer is back next rd.
Didn't we have our best 1,6,7 and 9 for round one? We were hopeless that night, but the excuse was "new combination; we'll get better...."
Hasn't happened.

On our forwards tonight.....

Lussick gave away a silly penalty early and his night didn't get much better. 4/10

Parcell was unlucky not to score a try and was one of our best. 7/10

Myles ran faster at one point that I've ever seen him go (must have been because Kevin Walters was there. Origin and all that). Otherwise was his plodding, metre gaining self. 7/10

Symond's defence was good. His running, kicking and handling let him and the team down though. 4/10

Taupau needs to get involved more in attack. His defence was class and didn't miss a tackle. 6/10

Jake needs to put a bit more oomph into his hit ups, but otherwise showed that all things being equal he should be a starter for City and could be in line for a Blues bench spot. He must have thought he was the Turbo Trbojevic at one point in the second half, he was running and backing up everywhere. Clever backing up and kick for Godinet's try. 8/10

Lawrence didn't have a lot of impact tonight really. 4/10

Fonua-Blake bends the line every time. Bogus penalty against him in the 2nd half. 6/10

Vave just keeps on eating the metres. 108 from 11 runs. 7/10

Brown ended up in the backs because of Walker going off injured.

We had 3 forwards tonight who ran for 100 metres or more. Myles (119), Vave (108) and Taupau (100). Our next best were Jake (76) and Parcell (75). Steve Matai was our only other player to break 100 (104). We had 4 players make over 30 tackles. Parcell (41), Trbojevic (38), Taupau (36), Symonds (34).

On the other side of the coin, the Cowboys had 5 forwards who ran for over 100. Tamau (177), Taumalolo (176), Lowe (126), Scott (115) and Hannant (110). Linnett (138) and Winterstein (115) also broke the ton. Granville with 30 was the only Cowboy to make 30 or more tackles.

Guessing you went for a smoke break when BJ was on. To give him the same poor rating as Lussick just loses any credibility. He made more metres than AFB and 11 more tackles.

It's the 2018 version of Mr Plod I am most looking forward too. You will look back and think to yourself 'he was on fire back in 16'.
Myles is the sort of player I can see being pretty similar in 2018 to now.
His value is not in line breaks or fast play the balls, but in the experience he brings.

I have no doubt that when they're about to run out to face imposing forward packs like Cows, Dogs, Sharks, Brisbane, our other forwards are heartened knowing we have Myles up front who has done it all before. I can't recall ever seeing him dominated.

Not his best game, however if you go back through the best manly player each game voted on this site, you will see he features highly most weeks

Whilst many of the observations regarding T-Red are true, it should be remembered that he was a bargain buy, after being cut by roosters. He is not a marque import on lotsa. I doubt you would find a better forward on the same coin.

He never was and never will be one of our stars, but he is an honest footballer who has a go. There has been good improvement in his defense and workload.

He does have a mistake in his game, which of our players hasn't. It's a bit harsh criticising his kicks when he is not a designated kicker and only kicked in desperation.

When we buy a top 2nd rower for about $600,000 he may well end up back in reggies.

Myles is the sort of player I can see being pretty similar in 2018 to now.
His value is not in line breaks or fast play the balls, but in the experience he brings.

I have no doubt that when they're about to run out to face imposing forward packs like Cows, Dogs, Sharks, Brisbane, our other forwards are heartened knowing we have Myles up front who has done it all before. I can't recall ever seeing him dominated.

"Mr Plod" was also our top meter gainer last night with 119m, and he only played 48 minutes. Apart from Marty, 100 meters and Matai, 104 meters....no one came close to that.

Our forwards could do a lot worse than learn a bit from Myles. He's been around a while and knows the game.

Whilst many of the observations regarding T-Red are true, it should be remembered that he was a bargain buy, after being cut by roosters. He is not a marque import on lotsa. I doubt you would find a better forward on the same coin.

He never was and never will be one of our stars, but he is an honest footballer who has a go. There has been good improvement in his defense and workload.

He does have a mistake in his game, which of our players hasn't. It's a bit harsh criticising his kicks when he is not a designated kicker and only kicked in desperation.

When we buy a top 2nd rower for about $600,000 he may well end up back in reggies.

You need a workhorse or two in your team to make the show ponies look good. The bagging of Tom reminds me of the bagging of Luke Williamson when he was playing. Luke was not here for his block busting runs and huge try tally. He was dependable in general play and excellent in defence.

I wouldn't be quick to drop T-Red from the side. I think he still has a lot to offer.

You need a workhorse or two in your team to make the show ponies look good. The bagging of Tom reminds me of the bagging of Luke Williamson when he was playing. Luke was not here for his block busting runs and huge try tally. He was dependable in general play and excellent in defence.

I wouldn't be quick to drop T-Red from the side. I think he still has a lot to offer.

I wouldn't be dropping Symonds for Mateo.

On current form I would be dropping Walker for Mateo.

Willow was the classic 1%er who was seemingly always there when a loose ball was on the ground. On those rare occasions when he made a mistake, he would be there to cleanup when the opposition play broke down.

It should be no surprise that he was in the team, because his coach for the bulk of his Sea Eagles' tenure was Des Hasler - a similar 'scrapping' style of player.

On our forwards tonight.....

Lussick gave away a silly penalty early and his night didn't get much better. 4/10

Parcell was unlucky not to score a try and was one of our best. 7/10

Myles ran faster at one point that I've ever seen him go (must have been because Kevin Walters was there. Origin and all that). Otherwise was his plodding, metre gaining self. 7/10

Symond's defence was good. His running, kicking and handling let him and the team down though. 4/10

Taupau needs to get involved more in attack. His defence was class and didn't miss a tackle. 6/10

Jake needs to put a bit more oomph into his hit ups, but otherwise showed that all things being equal he should be a starter for City and could be in line for a Blues bench spot. He must have thought he was the Turbo Trbojevic at one point in the second half, he was running and backing up everywhere. Clever backing up and kick for Godinet's try. 8/10

Lawrence didn't have a lot of impact tonight really. 4/10

Fonua-Blake bends the line every time. Bogus penalty against him in the 2nd half. 6/10

Vave just keeps on eating the metres. 108 from 11 runs. 7/10

Brown ended up in the backs because of Walker going off injured.

We had 3 forwards tonight who ran for 100 metres or more. Myles (119), Vave (108) and Taupau (100). Our next best were Jake (76) and Parcell (75). Steve Matai was our only other player to break 100 (104). We had 4 players make over 30 tackles. Parcell (41), Trbojevic (38), Taupau (36), Symonds (34).

On the other side of the coin, the Cowboys had 5 forwards who ran for over 100. Tamau (177), Taumalolo (176), Lowe (126), Scott (115) and Hannant (110). Linnett (138) and Winterstein (115) also broke the ton. Granville with 30 was the only Cowboy to make 30 or more tackles.

I agree, Jake t is a gun in defence but he really needs to run a lot harder and faster at the line. He needs to watch Fonua blake and Vave and Lawrence. I thought Lawerence was alright, he had a run where he got like 15 m and the crowd cheered. We need to see more of those. Vave really good as usual, cant believe he was in our NSW cup team the whole of last year. I am not a fan of myles, in fact i really dislike him. He runs with no purpose and aggression. Each run he takes makes like 5, 6 metres and need to drop him. He was alright tonight but it was probs just a lucky few runs that the cowboys line didin't come up. Fonua blake played great as usual, each run he takes he makes 10 metres and reminds me of Taumololo.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4