Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
just wondering that since there away win they may be a little cocky and confident. Manly will be far better opposition that the penny panthers

Canberra's Carney

I just saw on the news that the talented young Canberra half Todd Carney has been suspended by the club indefinitely. He apparently was driving without a license (having been disqualified), failed to obey police instructions and then led them on a high speed chase and then ran away.

Later he handed himself in. He was already on a warning.

Pity he doesn't play for the West Coast Eagles - he would be made captain and become a hero!!!

Canberra's Carney

What has this got to do with football ?
This is an issue between Todd & the police. Canberra have no place in suspending him from playing unless either his form is affected or he is sent to gaol, rendering him unavailable.
Same with Matai, the MWRLFC should keep away from it unless they are directly affected.
My employer probably wouldn't even know if I lost my licence or got kicked out of a pub, why are these blokes any different ?

Canberra's Carney

It's part of a code of conduct that players sign with the club and the NRL. They have to look after the reputation of the game and the interests of sponsors.

It has lots to do with the NRL.

Canberra's Carney

Well if I was running a football club I wouldn't have rubbish like that in any contracts. At the end of the day you're there to win the comp. As a CEO, why would you be looking for ways to jeopardise keeping your best team on the park ?
Sounds like a case of shooting yourself in the foot to me.
If the NRL are making the clubs do it, then they should mind their own business.

Canberra's Carney

What has this got to do with football ?
This is an issue between Todd & the police. Canberra have no place in suspending him from playing unless either his form is affected or he is sent to gaol, rendering him unavailable.
Same with Matai, the MWRLFC should keep away from it unless they are directly affected.
My employer probably wouldn't even know if I lost my licence or got kicked out of a pub, why are these blokes any different ?

If you seriously believe him and Matai can carry on like this and the football clubs should do nothing you are very simple. Its not the 70's ffs.

Canberra's Carney

Point 1) It is the 70's in my head.

Point 2) I'm actually pretty smart

Point 4) How does it hurt you ? As long as my team is winning, I don't care what the blokes who wear the jerseys do. I support Manly & no mis-behaviour could ever change that.

I really don't think that if you're looking for all-round nice-guys that you'd trust with your little sister that any footy player would ever cut the mustard.

Canberra's Carney

Times have changed and it does matter.

Did you have a opinion on the Dogs incident from Coffs Harbour? Or was that whole thing ok and who cares, not our business?

Canberra's Carney

Not our business.
If they were convicted of rape, I would judge them as poor human beings. Rapists. That doesn't change the fact of how good they are as footy players.
JT is currently the best player in the game. I think he's great. I don't want to be his friend though.

Canberra's Carney

Ah, the plot thickens. There is good reason why you also think Burns would make a good Lock ;)

Canberra's Carney

Football clubs have to make money to survive. The worse their image, the harder it is for them to make money in times when it is becoming a lot harder.

Duff, he has tainted the image of his club and for that reason he should be suspended.

You go out of a friday night and have a big one. Lead cops on a chase run and hand yourself in. Come Saturday your name, your face and your company is all over the front page. Do you think they have no right to demand he pick up his act or he doesn't play football for them?

Canberra's Carney

these guys, and weather you like it or not are role models, and Duff, the clubs dont have individual contracts to sign, all the contracts are NRL contracts which have all these clauses / behaviour / Drugs etc .

I applaud the Raiders for there stance on Carney.

Canberra's Carney

Especially when you consider he is their best player.

Taking a stance like that with your best player in a season that isn't easy for them as it is shows that they want a good culture and will stand for nothing less.

Canberra's Carney

Point 4) How does it hurt you ? As long as my team is winning, I don't care what the blokes who wear the jerseys do. I support Manly & no mis-behaviour could ever change that.

Cant help but take the piss a little here. You cant be that smart Duff.....you missed point 3. ;) :lol2:

Canberra's Carney

The game lives on sponsorship money. Topline sponsors will not be associated with negative behaviour of players that reflects poorly on them.

No sponsors, no money for players. They have to look after the image of the game.

Canberra's Carney

[quote author=Duff]

Cant help but take the piss a little here. You cant be that smart Duff.....you missed point 3. ;) :lol2:

[/quote]

Yeah, ummm, Jatz. What can I say ?
I think you missed the point mate.

Is humour.
Point 7) I'm pretty funny too.

Canberra's Carney

Duff this is from 2005.

The Victorian Transport Accident Commission (TAC) has pulled its $A500,000 sponsorship of the Richmond Tigers. The move followed a player of the Australian Football League team, Jay Schultz, being booked for speeding and drink driving at the start of April 2005. The TAC's high-profile road safety slogan is "Drink, Drive, Bloody Idiot". TAC spokesman Colin Radford said the support was withdrawn after a warning that followed a similar incident earlier involving another Richmond ...

Sponsors can not afford bad publicity. No matter who they are and how significant the dollars are.

Without sponsors we dont have a team!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4