1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Todd Carney

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by DSM5, Aug 12, 2008.

1. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Seeing as how he's obviously going to beat the ridiculous 09 ban we should get out there and sign this guy now.

2. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,466 / 74
    I wouldn't have an objection to signing him on an incentive based contract that involved standard for his off field behaviour including a limited alcohol ban.

Maybe on a 50k contract with incentive payments and termination clauses

3. Normie

Normie Well-Known Member

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +327 / 4
    I wonder how close he was to signing with us before putting pen to paper to stay at Canberra?

4. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,466 / 74
    I wonder if he wishes he had signed with us now

5. eagle_predator

eagle_predator Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Carney maybe linked to Wigan in the ESL. Also the word is Tim Smith who is currently playing for Wigan wants to return to Australia and join a NRL club he was linked to the Warriors ? not sure if theres any truth to it though.

6. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 1
    How has Carney beat the ban? I havent heard.

7. eagle_predator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No idea mate

8. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Clon, he hasn't, yet.  He has the players association support if he wishes to challenge the 09 ban which seems to me indicates a shaky limb for the NRL to sit on.  Why did the NRL pick him out to ban for a season and six matches?  My guess is to divert attention from the ridiculous rubbish that is their action against SBW.  My tip is that the ban will dissolve under litigation.  It is unfair and a complete over-reaction to what was an of field indiscretion, not even a police or civil matter..Don't know what Tim Smith has to do with this thread.

9. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,120 / 287
    Carney and Bailey would go ok in the 1/2's.
    Very creative.

Orford and Bailey - just as good.

10. eagle_predator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Because i mentioned it.

11. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    No way you'd get him for 50k. Even though he's f*cked up badly, he'd be the most in demand player on the market if he was available for 2009. Every club would be interested in picking him up and if he went for less than 250k then I'd be stunned.

I'd be delighted if we picked up Carney for 200k. It would be a bargain purchase of a marquee player, and as long as he kept his drinking under control.

12. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    **** him

Bailey will do me

13. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,466 / 74
    No way you'd get him for 50k. Even though he's f*cked up badly, he'd be the most in demand player on the market if he was available for 2009. Every club would be interested in picking him up and if he went for less than 250k then I'd be stunned.

I'd be delighted if we picked up Carney for 200k. It would be a bargain purchase of a marquee player, and as long as he kept his drinking under control.
    [/quote]

Hence the incentive payments!

50K as a base with incentives based on both performance and keeping his nose clean

14. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Nice in theory but would never happen. For a start, as Will said, he'd walk into a $250K+ contract any day of the week, so why sign for $50K. The other thing with heavily weighted incentive contracts are that they are a nightmare as far as keeping on top of your salary cap.

15. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    So far KE seems to have it about right.

16. Nutzcraw

Nutzcraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Carney = NO.

Leave him as someone else's problem. These days you can only afford to keep 1 halfback in your squad. You don't want that one to be a dodgy one.

17. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 1
    A dodgy one is putting it nicely. You dont want one who pisses on people because they are so ****ing stupid to think that its funny.

18. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I think he pissed in his hat.  Schlossy wasn't banned for a year and he shat in someones shoe.

19. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Actually it was Julian O'Neill who shat in Schlossy's shoe.

20. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    The full story on this has not come out, apparently Tilse's mate was telling jokes at the bar and when they went to the toilet somebody mentioned that he was on fire, well Carney overheard and ..........