1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Todd Carney linked to Manly

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Andrew Webster | August 20, 2008
    http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/wigan-poised-to-pounce-as-manly-lose-interest/2008/08/19/1218911717894.html

TROUBLED halfback Todd Carney appears destined to salvage his broken career with Super League powerhouse Wigan - but he has already been  to a return to the NRL as a possible replacement for Manly captain Matt Orford.

It is understood that Carney is close to finalising a one-year deal to resume playing in England after being cut adrift by the Raiders earlier this month after a string of alcohol-fuelled incidents.

But there is increasing speculation he is already in the Sea Eagles' sights beyond 2009 - although chief executive Grant Mayer denied last night he had discussed any move with Carney's management.

"There's no room for him [under the salary cap]," Mayer said. "If Todd wanted to come to Manly after 2009, it could only be as a second-tier player [on a minimum of $50,000]. After 2009, we have back-ended contracts that take up too much under the cap for us to sign a player who is worth $400,000 a year … Todd Carney is not on our radar."

The Sea Eagles would have ample funds if they decided not to renew Orford's contract when his lucrative four-year deal ends after next season.

It is believed the 30-year-old halfback is keen to play another two seasons in the NRL before heading to England. Mayer has not started discussions with Orford and his manager George Mimis about extending his deal beyond 2009.

Along with Penrith, the Sea Eagles were one of the hot favourites for Carney's signature earlier this year and had tabled an offer similar to the $1.6 million deal that convinced him to stay at Canberra. After missing out on Carney, they invested heavily in Knights utility Chris Bailey and giant Parramatta winger Tony Williams.

Carney is strongly tipped to sign with Wigan, possibly as soon as this week. The club's chief executive Ian Lenegan has already said he is interested in signing the 22-year-old despite his behaviour off the field. But it is understood Carney wants only a one-year deal so he can return to Australia for family reasons.

And NRL chief executive David Gallop, who said he would refuse to register Carney next year if he found another club, has left the door open for a return in 2010 - despite pressure from the Raiders to ban him from playing in the NRL for longer. "[But] he would have to show that he has made significant inroads into his issues if he was to return from 2010," Gallop said last night.

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,115 / 287
    If we are serious about a Premiership, we need a 1/2 back like this IMO. Sadly, I think we need to look at another option in 09. Maybe a swap with Wigan. They get Orford for 2-3 years, and we get Carney.

3. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    I reckon it would be priceless if Orford went to Warrington and took the number 7 off Moaning again.

4. eggson

eggson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 2
    I think this is only in the news because Manly would've gotten Carney if not for his belief that Neil Henry would stay as coach. 
    Now Carney's been cut from the Raiders the next logical story for the media is to say Manly still want him asap to drum up interest and sales.  ::)

5. Cletus

Cletus Active Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I'd say we do still want him, does anyone think Orford is getting a contract extension? As much as I hate Carneys dramas, I still think we'll be lining up with 8 other clubs trying to sign him when he's available.

6. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    He'd win us the big one for sure.  The continuation of Orford at number 7 is just not good enough.    If the management are serious about winning a grand final then Carney should be signed replacing Orford.  It must be obvious to all you wonderful bloggers that Orford is the weak link.  Carney and Lyon together would be dynamite.

7. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    I would say we are after him too. I think we will get him too and I think the money will be not even close to what we were paying before

8. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Orford on 650 thousand.  That's not a joke, it's a tragedy. 

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unless orford wins us a premiership in the next two years then it is see you later dworford.

By 2009 we will also know if the parra signing hodkinson will make it or not as fg half. 

10. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    i cant get you ****s bagging orford

this is how i saw or
    Monas at half took us from cellar dwellars to a middle of the road team
    Orford has taken us to the next level

His game has a couple of weakness but they are weakness that jamie lyon at 6 compliments (lyon's short kicking game etc)

if we win the GF this year i could still see some of your knob gobblers having a dig at the bloke.

and people accuse mata of having vendettas u clowns make mata look like a chior boy

11. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    I agree Cliffy

look if Orford has to do it all on his own, he will fail and have issues like we are seeing now.

Throw in a second playmaker and it isn't all on his shoulders.

There are very few teams in this comp that have a single playmaker running the show, the ones that do are lucky to be where they are!

12. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +555 / 10
    F**k me.

Orford doesn't need to run the show by himself. He probably has more playmakers & kickers around him than any other halfback in the comp.
    If he chooses to ignore them & instead come up with a substandard option of his own, then yes, he is to blame.
    He is the halfback so he is the #1 option, but this means he should only still be ending every second attacking set at best. There are four or five other blokes he can alternate with.

Please keep worthless opinions to onesself, only air those of merit.

13. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    This site would become a very quiet place overnight if everyone followed that suggestion :)

14. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    hmm so where are all these play makers?

Menzies is no play maker, sure he can stand with the 6 on his back and be a link man but he is not up there with the great 5/8's

Glenn Stewart? Same thing

Ballin? - Consistent hooker but not a play maker

LeSnack? He would go missing in a full playmaking role.

The reality is we have skilled players but only 2 halves and only one of them a genuine half!

Lyon can do the job and is getting better, but if it were all on his shoulders we would fall to bits.

15. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Hey Duff, here's one of merit.  Only one playmaker?  who is at fault here?  Look, I'll be the first to eat my words if Orford pulls out a winning game come the finals.  BUT, if he falls to pieces like he did last year, then yes, I'll certainly put the boot in.  On over six hundred grand, I expect brilliance.

16. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Falls to pieces like last year ?

He got us through the match against Souths, then dominated Thurston in the GF Qualifier, and had a bad GF, and he was not the lone ranger there

I also reckon that somebody had pulled 650k out of their arse and everybody is running with it. No way can i see him being paid that, unless he was on 150-200k the past 2 years

This is all a bit of a repeat anyway. Heard all this before we got Orford, he was going to be the man to do this and do that, now Carney has that role on the site. If we got him and he played a few bad games then the knives would be into him too. Funnily enough Canberra have looked a better side since Carney departed the scene and Herbert has linked up with Campese.

17. Todd

Todd Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    650k is nowhere near the truth - yes his contract was back loaded - but that means we underpaid him earlier - average it out at at best you probably get $450k a season - More likely it's $400k.

I hate how people write off media reports about injuries, signings and selections etc... but then take them as gospel when a guys salary helps them stick the boot in... no-one here has absolute knowledge.

You know what, I would much rather debate who can bring us a premiership as opposed to who will deliver a wooden spoon as it has been for the years before 2005........

Orford can win a premiership as a halfback - but it will take his absolute best - but the same could be said about Johns, Sterling, Mortimer......... No-one wins premierships without their best performance.

Can anyone here honestly argue that if Matt Orford plays his best game of the year and the rest of the squad plays like they did last week against Melbourne that we would not win the GF......

18. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    Too true, good post mate

19. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    hahaha is that you mr carney :p
    hahah

seriously good post mate i agree with it
    some of this circle jerkers have short short memories

20. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Todd Carney and Chris Bailey would also make a excellent Pairing with Lyon and Matai in the centres in 2010