Today's SMH.....LAST WORD

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

WESTIE

Reserve Grader
What's doing here ? A disturbing piece written in today's SMH.
Hopefully a storm in a tea cup, but pretty serious allegations.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/manly-sponsor-severs-link-over-product-misuse-20120128-1qmzx.html

A MANLY sponsor has withdrawn its backing from the NRL club amid claims that the former Sea Eagles media manager, Peter Peters, appropriated property that had been provided for the players' use. The long-time sponsor, which has pumped in a six-figure sum over almost two decades, is now considering whether to refer the matter to the police.

Fearing adverse publicity for its brand and the club, it has asked to remain unnamed. The alleged incident occurred at the start of last season. The sponsor claims it brought the matter to the club's attention but no action was taken. A second attempt was made to raise the issue before Christmas in correspondence with the club, which has been obtained by The Last Word.

In an email, the sponsor says, ''… At no stage was my [product] ever delivered or used … for the players' use as per Peter Peters request, contrary to signed legal lease documents … I received no apology for Peter Peters action or lease monies refunded by the Club to me. As stated above, I withdrew my Sponsorship after I ascertained and confirmed that Peter Peters had moved my Co. [product] and gave it to one of his best mates …'' The sponsor went on, ''In short, I personally believe that Peter Peters is not a fit and proper person to be on any Board involving the MWDRLC and representing Members, Sponsors or fans of the Club period.''

The sponsor demanded Peters's immediate sacking. Peters, who was involved in the infamous ''good sort'' gaffe last year, parted ways with the Sea Eagles following their premiership triumph. Asked to comment on the matter, he said: ''It was handled by the [then-]CEO Graham Lowe at the time. It is embarrassing for people to bring it up and very petty. Perhaps the person who brought it up should have a look at themselves.''

I suppose a forensic inspection of the (sponsors list at the) official website might provide a clue as to the identity of said mystery sponsor!

Maybe it was the Toyota Rukus that Des was driving around in just before he was given the bullet?

Bill Buckle are still listed as a corporate partner.

Cant we just **** him off already?
I'm sure the Bulldogs will offer him a full time position as De$ personal ego groomer

I still can't believe he is running a tour to the WCC in direct opposition to an apparent official club tour.

Clay said:
Cant we just f**k him off already?
I'm sure the Bulldogs will offer him a full time position as De$ personal ego groomer
Not sure if he has the time to groom Des's ego, when he does so much grooming of his own ego.:p:)

The sponsor was streets ice cream who wanted him to give out free buckets of ice cream to the players. Instead he ate them all himself.

It sounds to me like the issue was settled a long time ago, and this journo is just muck-racking. If it was serious then I'm sure we'd have heard about it at the time. The Telecrap would have jumped on it.

If he's caused the club to lose a long time sponsor through his actions and this is'nt just another media beatup he should do the decent thing and resign. At the moment however, its just another unsubstantiated report.

Best not to speculate who the sponsor may be.

I am sure neither of the two companies you listed would appreciate their name being linked to this sordid affair when it has nothing to do with either of them.

So now we believe a anon source as it suits some people's agenda against Zorba?

There were issues with the way he performed however it is a touch unfair to tar him with an unsubstantiated report in the paper (the same way people on here rallied against des / board )

lsz said:
So now we believe a anon source as it suits some people's agenda against Zorba?

There were issues with the way he performed however it is a touch unfair to tar him with an unsubstantiated report in the paper (the same way people on here rallied against des / board )

Or we ignore a anon source as it suits some people's agenda for Zorba?

Me, I have no opinion.

Phantar said:
All (or something vaguely like it)is revealed:

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/fridge-gate/

What a nothing story it turns out. Glad you posted this. It's just made the SMH look just as stupid as the tele.

Looks like all of you who yesterday started bagging zorba before knowing the facts have egg all over your faces.

I am sure people will accept what has happened with good grace cambo....

So is he Bob Reilly's cousin or not ? That is the real story here.

The sponsor went on, ''In short, I personally believe that Peter Peters is not a fit and proper person to be on any Board involving the MWDRLC and representing Members, Sponsors or fans of the Club period.''

essentially this is the key, elections are coming up and the gloves are off. Zorb doesn't run, this would never have surfaced in my opinion. This is just a political stunt. Move on i say, there is nothing to see here. Let the girls be girls and vote with your conscience if eligible

Onviously with Leagues Club elections coming up and also I guess the two Football Club positions on the Sea Eagles board 'up for grabs' - especially with Zorba on the FC board there seems to be an agenda here.

Doesn't surprise really that someone is using the media despite assurances from our board that it would all remain in house.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4