1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To the supposed loyal and true supporters ......

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Canteen Worker, May 2, 2006.

1. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I have included some current stats (from NRL.com) to prove a point to the loyal and true supporters who wanted to keep Alby Torrens, Tony Jensen etc and Michael Monaghan etc in key spots in the last couple of years.

Look at the difference that Orford, Kennedy and Bell have made to this side - dspite the knockers/doubters etc

By the way - are any of these true supporters still coming out and calling for Monaghan to be captain over Kennedy???

Interesting stats - which bode well when you consider the improvement left in the team.

NRL
    Top 5 Tackles
    299 Nathan Hindmarsh
    295 Alan Tongue
    278 Aaron Gorrell
    272 Steve Simpson
    247 Ashley Harrison

Top 5 Hitups
    141 Steve Price
    140 Ben Kennedy
    139 Petero Civoniceva
    136 Shane Tronc
    133 Luke O'Donnell

Top 5 Line Breaks
    11 Steven Bell
    10 Johnathan Thurston
    10 Justin Hodges
    9 Amos Roberts
    9 Matt Sing

Top 5 Offloads
    26 Mark O'Meley
    25 Ben Kennedy
    22 Clinton Toopi
    20 Lance Thompson
    18 Sione Faumuina

Top 5 Tries
    9 Amos Roberts
    9 Steven Bell
    8 Greg Inglis
    8 Hazem El Masri
    8 Johnathan Thurston

Top 5 Conversions
    33 Andrew Johns
    30 Johnathan Thurston
    25 Matt Orford
    24 Hazem El Masri
    22 Craig Fitzgibbon

Top 5 Penalties
    9 Hazem El Masri
    8 Tony Martin
    6 Corey Parker
    6 Johnathan Thurston
    5 Matt Orford

Top 5 Drop Goals
    1 Andrew Johns
    1 Brent Sherwin
    1 Clinton Schifcofske
    1 Matt Orford
    1 Preston Campbell

Top 5 Kicks In Play
    102 Matt Orford
    87 Nathan Fien
    77 Andrew Johns
    74 Jason Smith
    69 Daniel Holdsworth

Top 5 Try Assists
    11 Andrew Johns
    10 Johnathan Thurston
    8 Darren Lockyer
    7 Kurt Gidley
    7 Matt Orford

2. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Choc was in the top 5 tacklers before last weekends game as well I believe.

Although, I imagine at the same point last year Monas was in the top 5 for Try Assists - I have no proof to back this up, but as the main playmaker of a team that was up the top of the ladder early in the season last year, I am sure Monas had his share of stats next to his name.

3. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Monas had many good stats against his name, including try assists. he was also was right up there in Dally M player of the year (7th) a couple of years ago.

There is no doubting that the clubs admin and coaching staff sabotaged the last half of the season by badly handling Monasgate. Granted Monas carried on like a good sort during the process.

The Messiah has added a new dimension to the club and he may yet prove that he's worth the money.

Also as far as I can remember No-one knocked Kennedy and Bell for coming to the club.

4. sue ridgepipe

sue ridgepipe Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there were quite a few visionaries who bagged him for getting injured and he would not play enough games.you take that sort of a punt with great players and he was due for a good run as the injuries at the knight were different and not of the chronic variety.as for the captaincy last year i will never work that out.not that it would really have mattered.we were short class players in the 6,7 and 9 and you dont win without them.simple as that.

5. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Both monas and orford were in the top 5 kickers at the end of last year, so it is great having 2 good kicking options

6. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    While I don't think I knocked BK, I definately didn't expect him to have anywhere near the impact that he has had. I probably said it was a risky option and that he'd crumble with injury - I read into what the 'experts' were saying.

There were a number of people who were saying it was a bad option and a waste of money though.

7. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I remeber huge criticism of his signing on the MSE forums. There was also a huge debate on whether Captain Concentric Circle should be captain instead of him.

The merits of that decision are plain for all to see now!!!

8. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    I honestly dont think we would be in a different position now on the table if Monas was captain ahead of BK this season. Sure it has had some influence but BK always led by example, I put it down to some of off season signings and improvements in individual players and playing more as a team.

9. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    I guess you think Dessie has no idea as a coach then, as he picked Monas for captain.

10. Rexx

Rexx Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good call Garts.

The huge difference with the change of captancy is the handling of the media. Everytime Kennedy's interviewed, Manly's status is improved. Fills you with pride.

Last year, it got to the stage where I was cringeing whenever Monas was interviewed, awaiting the next damaging controversy.

11. Corso_Pete

Corso_Pete Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    The choice of captain between BK & MM last year was never a choice. BK publically stated that he was not interested in the captaincy at Manly. Even this year when the captaincy debate started with BK. MM & Beaver, Kennedy again stated that he would prefer not to be captain as he hated dealing with the media.

Garts got is spot on, BK is a leader by example, a "do as I do" type of captain rather than a "do as I say" leader.

12. sue ridgepipe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    that was bull**** he was not interested.some more fodder to be fed to the masses.it was simply a wrong decision by the coach that has been corrected this yearand thank god for that.

13. Corso_Pete

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I guess it depends on your source, but you are certainly entitled to your view, I stand by my statement, and please never ever consider my views as fodder fed to the masses.

I will be in Brisbane next week so I would be more than happy to discuss the topic with you at the Normanby.

14. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Monas being the captain last year may have been the wrong choice but even if BK was captain it would not have had any affect on how we finished the year. we still would have limped home and still been smashed by Parra.

As far as what Kennedy said about not wanting to be captain, imo that was just to keep the peace. He didnt want to create disharmony at his new club and for the same reason he said it again this year.

15. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Your supposed to know what your talking about Sue. Back up your position & confirm the authentics of Des's supposed wrong decision.

16. sue ridgepipe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i have been a big backer of des the whole time.unlike plenty here who are very silent now that we are winning.i think he copped king for too long but otherwise i have supported him fully(and maybe he will be right with that one).much like cw i have a lot of time for him.he made a wrong decision IMO in that instance.so what.like every coach he'll make many more.as i also said i doubt it would have mattered much with hopeless halves.

as for me backing up my position.i think it is pretty clear what i said-

des made a choice of monaghan over kennedy,kennedy was interested and the club stated that kennedy wanted to concentrate on his own game.standard statement clubs make to the media in that situation-happens every year.i wasnt specifically referring to you blokes witth the masses comment.i simply meant it was the standard stuff issued to league fans by every club ,state or country with captains competing for the role.

blind freddy could work out a legend international with a huge competitive streak might want the job at a struggling club up against a bloke who had played more reserve grade than first at the time..real sherlock homes stuff that!

anything you guys dont understand about that.i would say it is very clear.

ps.corso .i drink at that gambarros.vegas and i will be there.

17. Corso_Pete

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I have no idea where that is or even what it is, I still get lost getting from the aiport to our hotel. I can find the Caxton but will struggle to find the Normandy. I don't know what is about Brisbane but for some reason it is the only city in Australia that I continually get lost in.

Maybe I should pull out the safari suit and I will at least look like a local and not just a another lost southerner.

ps; I will agree to disagree with you on the BK/MM captaincy issue of 2005.

18. sue ridgepipe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    corso

It is across the road from the caxton.open style bar.more room than caxton.vegas and i are 2 big blonde idiots with another real fat rooster called fast eddie.hard to miss us.