To all you guys who thought this would be an easy Manly win

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NYEagle

Bencher
and there were plenty of you...

What was your reasoning for that?

Just curious.

I honestly didn't see it. I didn't expect this flogging from Brisbane, but I had them as favourites for sure up there.

NYEagle

I hoped for a win, certainly wasn't banking one. I guess success can breed overconfidence at times, the writing has been on the wall for a few weeks - but I remain certain we will be there deep into the finals.

Just look at the attitude of late. Even last game we looked horrid until DCE kicked that field goal. Watmough talking about joining the Eels, Matai threatening mutiny, G Stewart gone, injuries....

If it were a one off, then fine, but these putrid performances are becoming common place.

Like I say, this is a good insight into life after the veterans go.

I hope Toovey is both embarrassed and furious at this lack of character. Some players positions need to up for review with Turbo and co. waiting for their shot.

I thought that Killer and Foz would win it with tactics, so loss of forward power would be offset.

They didn't :s

Smart kicks would have saved energy. The 9 offloads that they gave the Broncos in the first quarter was just pathetic :mad:

New rule, we are night people in Bris Vegas - always lose when our shadows land on Suncorp :sleepy:

Wonder if Choc chewed of his bad arm in frustration yet :p

HappilyManly said:
I thought that Killer and Foz would win it with tactics, so loss of forward power would be offset.

They didn't :s

Smart kicks would have saved energy. The 9 offloads that they gave the Broncos was pathetic :mad:

New rule, we are night people in Bris Vegas - always lose when our shadows land on Suncorp :sleepy:

Wonder if Choc chewed of his bad arm in frustration yet :p

Off to Parra isnt he? Why would he care?

NYEagle said:

Just curious.

I honestly didn't see it. I didn't expect this flogging from Brisbane, but I had them as favourites for sure up there.

NYEagle

Very ordinary effort, but so is is starting a thread to gloat about it mate.

A few thought we'd win; a few thought we'd lose; a lot just had a calculated guess as always.

I know ppl need to vent and constructive criticism is always welcome...

The biggest problem for Manly today was their attitude (plenty of possible reasons why)...And that's the same slight issue I have with your thread champ.

RiverEagle said:
NYEagle said:

Just curious.

NYEagle

A few thought we'd win; a few thought we'd lose; a lot just had a calculated guess as always.

The biggest problem for Manly today was their attitude (plenty of possible reasons why)...And that's the same slight issue I have with your thread champ.

They are pro athletes mate. There is zero reason for bad attitude, and I do blame that on Toovey.

He needs to take charge. These piss weak, heartless performances haven't been around for many years, but they are coming back with worrisome consistency under this current clutch of coaches and players.

We signed that Wests Coach didn't we? Our forwards are back to being as bad as they were when Roach coached them here.

I saw three things today.

(1) Poor service to both wings, particularly the left side. LittleJohn has run out of fuel from the back of the 40-20 against Canberra.
Ballin tried hard, and Stewe chimed in, but it was that pass after Ballin that had no impact whatsoever.
Need Cherry and G. Stewart back

(2) While Lui and Lafeo are both dynamic physically, they don't play with aggression like the Watmoughs, G. Stewarts, and Kingies of the world do. T-Red has just been plain ordinary. He should have been out there busting it when he came on - not good enough.
T-Red if you want game time, act like you want it.

(3) Conservative play. Too much safety first in the second half. The team is down by 20, take some risks. Hiku very one dimensional. What's up with him?.

I also found Copley, Khunt and Jack Reed a pain in the neck all game. They are not great players, but are very good and will kill you if you give them space and possession which they seemed to have an abundance of, and that's attitude only to blame.

Manly better be careful. If they bust against the dogs Friday the season can go south fast. Watmough and Matai better put these rumours to bed and get on with this season. While it's sad that people like Rothcrap are anti-Manly, rumours like this need to be squashed fast.

Just my opinion.

NYEagle

Today was unacceptable @Ryan

All I'm saying is keep it in perspective.

Every team, including the Bulldogs, Roosters, Scum, Panthers and South's...EVERY TEAM has been flogged already this year.

It's that type of comp.

Ask questions, even make changes for sure; just don't throw the baby out with the bath water mate.

I trust Tooves a hell of a lot more than any of us , to know what went wrong and address it.

I just get a bit impatient with death-riders who, after we string a few wins together again, completely change their tune!

*Apart from mick (mickqld)...He maintains his steady negativity all the way to Grand Final day, and beyond!

Bottom line @Ryan

I'm just saying we'll know where we're really at against the Dogs next Friday.

I always thought this was going to be a tough game, made tougher with DCE sidelined.

There is nothing wrong with fans thinking it would have been an easy win. Its nice to have confidence in the team you support.

To be fair, based on the last few years and the current ladder positions it is fair to assume we should win.

Ryan said:
RiverEagle said:
NYEagle said:

Just curious.

NYEagle

They are pro athletes mate. There is zero reason for bad attitude, and I do blame that on Toovey.

He needs to take charge. These piss weak, heartless performances haven't been around for many years, but they are coming back with worrisome consistency under this current clutch of coaches and players.

We signed that Wests Coach didn't we? Our forwards are back to being as bad as they were when Roach coached them here.

Most posts in a day for a while from you, and we lost.....

Having just watched the replay, it was one of those days from hell for the boys.

Everything went wrong, particularly in that 1st half; while everything went right for them.

As I said, every team has had this happen already this season, and the Origin period always throws up these anomalies too (the Dogs flogged just last week; the Scum a mere shadow of themselves last night in Townsville).

I'd still rather back us in September (luck with those injuries the key) rather than the Bronx...Who did play well today for sure.

And as I've noted before, I'd be a bit worried goin' to war beside a few peeps here....watch your back!

I respect everyone's right to an opinion, even if I disagree; and it's just a tad unsettling to see how quickly ppl turn on their team.

When and IF we don't make the 8, I'll listen to the executioners a bit more, perhaps.

NYEagle said:
I saw three things today.

(1) Poor service to both wings, particularly the left side. LittleJohn has run out of fuel from the back of the 40-20 against Canberra.
Ballin tried hard, and Stewe chimed in, but it was that pass after Ballin that had no impact whatsoever.
Need Cherry and G. Stewart back

(2) While Lui and Lafeo are both dynamic physically, they don't play with aggression like the Watmoughs, G. Stewarts, and Kingies of the world do. T-Red has just been plain ordinary. He should have been out there busting it when he came on - not good enough.
T-Red if you want game time, act like you want it.

(3) Conservative play. Too much safety first in the second half. The team is down by 20, take some risks. Hiku very one dimensional. What's up with him?.

I also found Copley, Khunt and Jack Reed a pain in the neck all game. They are not great players, but are very good and will kill you if you give them space and possession which they seemed to have an abundance of, and that's attitude only to blame.

Manly better be careful. If they bust against the dogs Friday the season can go south fast. Watmough and Matai better put these rumours to bed and get on with this season. While it's sad that people like Rothcrap are anti-Manly, rumours like this need to be squashed fast.

Just my opinion.

NYEagle

Hard to argue with that, but I will add something about Copley. That bloke has hitherto been the most unco in the nrl, I'm not even sure that he could run more than 10 metres without tripping over his own feet. I don't think he has ever caught a ball before today. He made errors and poor reads early in the game, but for some reason we stopped targeting him. Your point about not using our wingers and centers well from 2nd off the ruck is a good one.

I agree with NYEagle. This crap coming out in the media needs to be put to rest. You would expect that the players must know that we can't keep everyone and players will have to go.

dowdz said:
I agree with NYEagle. This crap coming out in the media needs to be put to rest. You would expect that the players must know that we can't keep everyone and players will have to go.

That crap coming out of the media is speculation, and just as likely to be total BS like many Manly rumours before mate.

Through the week there were just as many disturbing stories about the Bronx , their salary cap and Andrew Gee etc. So you can't say internal problems distract the players...even if the Manly ''trouble'' was true!

I would've thought most people here would take almost all media talk with a speck of dust; and rely on what the players say and do...and even then wait until we see it, before we believe it.

A couple of poor days at the office, from a group that turns up 90% of the time for years, and it's all over...?

Not in my universe, it's not.

I was definitely one who had us winning comfortably there today. My reasoning was:

1. We are the Broncs bogey team (and have a great record in Brisbane)
2. I think the Broncs are overrated (especially their backs)
3. We had Killer and Foz coming back (and with DCE out, you have a very able replacement in JLJ)
4. I think Choc whilst busting his balls this year hasn't been playing that great. And an opportunity for others (like T-Red, Hasson etc) would be taken with both hands. Much the way Buhrer has taken the opportunity that Gifts injury has presented to him.

But then to reality.

1. A bogey team is a strange thing. It's one of those things that can work because it gets in peoples minds (like the Raiders with the Drags)
2. I still believe the Broncs are a bit overrated. But what it did show today was how simple rugby league is. And the Broncs forwards just ran hard and fast and with intensity....this opened up space for their backs. And whilst I don't think Reed, Copley, Hoffman, Hunt etc are great players, they are still good players who took their chances.
3. Killer looked a bit jaded and had no quality ball. Foz tried his absolute balls off, but his cutting edge wasn't quite there. And JLJ is starting to learn that the week in and week out grind is VERY tough.
4. This was the most disappointing thing to me. I posted on another thread that we cant rely on Gift and Choc to provide our aggression forever. It's up to the new breed to carry that mantle. I thought that today was sadly lacking. There were a couple of spurts, but nothing where you just went 'yep that kid wants it bad'. My other worry is Horo, I stuck up for him a few weeks back, but he's just not looking damaging at all.

I really hope we can sort out this rubbish like today. To have 2 games in the opening 12 rounds where we have been embarrassed is just something very foreign to the Manly club. I was concerned everytime the Broncs attacked that we would leak a try. That's not a feeling I have had since the dark days of the early 2000s. Now I'm not suggesting we are near that time...but this attitude to whatever needs to be addressed.

The funny thing is I feel we will come out on Friday and if not win, at least play with a SOO like intensity and will to win.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6