Time for the New Age of Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

TagMonster

Reserve Grader
I for one am tired of hearing about all this player unrest. Personally, the club needs to call an player meeting and simply say 'Gents, there are two doors our of this room, one is for those that want to continue to play for Manly, the other is for those that want a release.'

I doubt this will happen but if it did and those that have been publicised to want out are allowed to leave I would see the team look like the below:

1. Clinton Gutherson
2. Cheyse Blair
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Peta Hiku
5. Jorge Taufua
6. Jack Littlejohn
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Brenton Lawrence
9. Matt Balin
10. Josh Starling
11. Jesse Sene-Lefao
12. Justin Horo
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Willie Mason
15. Zane Tetevano / Michael Chee-Kam / James Hasson
16. Jayden Hodges / Tom Symonds
17. Jake Trbojevic / Dunamis Lui

Seems like a pretty damn good team. Has a fair amount of depth on the bench still. Allows a lot of flexibility depending on the forward pack we come up against. Plus with the cap space we would free up with letting Snake, Choc, Foz and Matai go elsewhere we can make sure we keep DCE and bring in impact players to support the team in the future.

Thoughts??

If Jake plays to his potential and over his injury he'll kill them this year. He looked right at home in the 10 odd minutes of 1st grade vs Penriff in 2013.

Plays big minutes, great low defender, offloads and has size with footwork. Great that Manly locked him and Tom up. Would've been nice to get them longer, however these boys know how good they are and would be stupid to commit to a low salary for too long. Good on our board for staying strong with Gifty, even though he's been a great player. If Foz, snake, matai want to leave, then roll the carpet, just make sure we have some quality replacements.

No no no ... Horo had a half decent 2013, but he's too slow, doesn't bend the line. He is seriously average. If Choc, snake and Foran arent in your team, then there be room for a Merrin and a couple of other stars. Merrin is a big body out wide, footwork, offload and can play front row at a pinch. And little john .... Pleaaaase !

He's a Selleys .... Stop gap at best. Not up to week in week out NRL.

TagMonster said:
I for one am tired of hearing about all this player unrest. Personally, the club needs to call an player meeting and simply say 'Gents, there are two doors our of this room, one is for those that want to continue to play for Manly, the other is for those that want a release.'

I doubt this will happen but if it did and those that have been publicised to want out are allowed to leave I would see the team look like the below:

1. Clinton Gutherson
2. Cheyse Blair
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Peta Hiku
5. Jorge Taufua
6. Jack Littlejohn
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Brenton Lawrence
9. Matt Balin
10. Josh Starling
11. Jesse Sene-Lefao
12. Justin Horo
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Willie Mason
15. Zane Tetevano / Michael Chee-Kam / James Hasson
16. Jayden Hodges / Tom Symonds
17. Jake Trbojevic / Dunamis Lui

Seems like a pretty damn good team. Has a fair amount of depth on the bench still. Allows a lot of flexibility depending on the forward pack we come up against. Plus with the cap space we would free up with letting Snake, Choc, Foz and Matai go elsewhere we can make sure we keep DCE and bring in impact players to support the team in the future.

Thoughts??

Lui in the starting team fo shizzle yo. Otherwise I'd be happy to follow thatteam but we would be 1 million under the cap.

[/quote]

Lui in the starting team fo shizzle yo. Otherwise I'd be happy to follow thatteam but we would be 1 million under the cap.
[/quote]

I accept depending on how players perform during this offseason would determine who the starters would be in the forward pack primarily. So I hope that the competition between all the players will mean that the team takes leaps and bounds forward.

I also accept that the team would be under the cap significantly. Given that there are only a few players off contract that would fit our scheme/needs, I would suggest frontloading a number of contracts, mainly DCE, to take up the cap space now rather than later.

As for Littlejohn being a stop gab at best, I would agree that is his floor. However, from what he showed during the origin series this year, his ceiling will be a solid complement player to DCE that won't make rep teams and will thrive with teams focusing on DCE. Not only that he won't cost us a small fortune to keep your halves pairing together like we are facing right now.

I agree with the sentiment of the post.

The bottom line is that we need 17 committed players on the paddock in 2015.

The time for the infighting back biting and whining has to come to an end. All of this murdered any chance we had of success in 2014.

[/quote]

I accept depending on how players perform during this offseason would determine who the starters would be in the forward pack primarily. So I hope that the competition between all the players will mean that the team takes leaps and bounds forward.

I also accept that the team would be under the cap significantly. Given that there are only a few players off contract that would fit our scheme/needs, I would suggest frontloading a number of contracts, mainly DCE, to take up the cap space now rather than later.

As for Littlejohn being a stop gab at best, I would agree that is his floor. However, from what he showed during the origin series this year, his ceiling will be a solid complement player to DCE that won't make rep teams and will thrive with teams focusing on DCE. Not only that he won't cost us a small fortune to keep your halves pairing together like we are facing right now.
[/quote]

K?

Seriously get used to watching a re run of the N.E days if that team is our best next year. All these guys walk then so too does our position as a leading NRL team.

My concern is two fold:-

1. Toovey's acidic relationship with the players
2. Toovey's inability to win big matches

BUT, I agree with the sentiments of this thread. Another season of the complete BS we were served with, and fans/members will be leaving in droves.

Probably none of us on this website, because I'd consider us all the "hardcorer's" if you will, but I bet there's heaps of people out there that have grown an apathy to this team with its behaviour's - to be fair, they probably deserve it as well (and I also put that partially down to Management like ManlyBacker so wisely states).

Ryan said:

BUT, I agree with the sentiments of this thread. Another season of the complete BS we were served with, and fans/members will be leaving in droves.

Probably none of us on this website, because I'd consider us all the "hardcorer's" if you will, but I bet there's heaps of people out there that have grown an apathy to this team with its behaviour's - to be fair, they probably deserve it as well (and I also put that partially down to Management like ManlyBacker so wisely states).

Just being Toovey's defence team here and talking about point 2.
The man coached us to win enough finals games last year to take us to the GF where, even considering that we shouldn't have given away a 10 point lead, we were significantly ripped off by Steggles Hayne.

2014:
Ladder, Toovey's team, equal first, Des's team, 7th.

Manly lost two of our best forwards just before the finals and had one suspended. The dogs had 2-3 vital forwards return from injury for the final series.

Manly was VERY unlucky to lose the match against the doggies. What Tooves and the team managed in that match gave us a lot of pride to take into 2015.
In that match, Snake - one of the lead 'disgruntled', had a blinder.

Re. point 1. I am disappointed that a small group of players are 'reportedly' blaming Tooves for the retention issues. He is the head coach and needs to make decisions and they are not going to please everybody.

As for fans leaving in droves after this year? Laughable if that's their depth of support. They can go join the bunnies bandwagon.

If the players missing from that lineup theres plenty of money for 1-2 key signings that would be in the starting 13...& no chance Littlejohn would be starting 6.
Foran...well who knows, he certainly is being targetted by plenty of big offers elsewhere.
Such is life, you taste success for so long other teams want a piece of it to understand how to win....

Ryan said:

Mate in regards to point 1, you know this how??

The Lurker
PHIL Slothfield
RLW Mole

Or you have been talking to some players who say they all hate Tooves??

I'd like to know really , otherwise maybe change your post to " in my opinion"!!!

Have faith in your team (whoever they be) and your coach kiddies. There is not an honest person on here who would have looked at the team Penrith fielded in the penultimate game of the season at the start of 2014 and expected they would be in that position. That's why we watch the bloody game - the surprises, the magic.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Ryan said:

Mate in regards to point 1, you know this how??

The Lurker
PHIL Slothfield
RLW Mole

Or you have been talking to some players who say they all hate Tooves??

I'd like to know really , otherwise maybe change your post to " in my opinion"!!!

Apparently top 4 isn't good enough

Both points are a joke he's probably sore JT didn't captain the NE debacle

Toovey, Warwick & Perry are assembling a squad that we all hope will come to represent "The new age of Manly".

That squad didn't include Gifty. Up until recently it did include Watmough but when his offer was withdrawn, they've probably changed their mind. At the moment, I believe it does include Brett but that might change if he follows the same path as Watmough.

For a long time, the senior playing group had a lot of influence, as is common at most clubs. However, at the end of the day… it's management that have the final say.

I think the club has decided to build the club around DCE. I was looking for the infamous Dunamis Lui Perfect Partners clip last night and came across Jamie Buhrer on Perfect partners. He talked about how close he is to both DCE and Tom Symonds. Buhrer and Symonds recently re-signed.

Dunamis Lui is often photographed with many of the other polynesian guys, Hiku (recently re-signed), Tafaua, Chee Kam, Horo and Sene Lafao (recently re-signed). Add to that some of the senior guys like, Ballin, Lyon and Matai. Then the younger guys coming thru like Gutherson and the Trbojevic brothers, the squad is taking shape.

Kite, King and G. Stewart are gone. Watmough is probably gone as well and possibly Brett to. That really only leaves Matai, Lyon and Foran from the senior guys. Lyon seems happy, Matai might be staying (media reports state) and Foran is probably 50/50.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now. The future is bright but transition periods are often messy.

I've got no bones to pick with Ryan but with so much BS being posted it would be so much better to use the words " I have read" or " all the media reports suggest" or " in my opinion".

Ryan is a long standing and well respected Forum member and so I do value his input, but for everyone on here use the appropriate wording IF posting something like that as that way we know if it's just a rehash , an opinion or if you have first hand knowledge.

In my opinion most people posting on here and making comments are doing so on what they have read in the media , social media or heard down at the pub .....NONE of which is anything like 99% reliable, maybe 1%!!

Rant over!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6