Time for a rotation in forwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c eagle

Reserve Grader
After watching our forwards today, I really believe we should give someone else a shot at first grade, king ,hasson and starling had no impact on the game what so ever........ Lawrence was the only on that could hold his head up....... I've heard a few mention that jake T kid...... Couldn't hurt, couldn't do any worse then these 3 mentioned.......or that kiwi prop we bought late.... If our forwards roll that rubbish out tab rookie next Friday night , there forwards will kill us.

So Lyon, Mattai, Hiku and Stewart were great today , were they???? ... u blokes go off early

Agree Frogz. Worst game by Matai I've seen for years. Killer and Snake were non existent and I thought Hiku played his worst game ever.
That being said I hope Jake T is in line to take Starlings spot.

Pepi said:
Agree Frogz. Worst game by Matai I've seen for years. Killer and Snake were non existent and I thought Hiku played his worst game ever.
That being said I hope Jake T is in line to take Starlings spot.

Agree with this brief summary of those backs' performance. As I mentioned before, particularly disappointed in BS. He is a central key figure in organising us from the back and giving us direction, but just been hasn't been with it of recent.

I also thought Kingy did alright, particularly his early runs.

Backs can't do **** unless a platform is supplied by forwards, but any idiot with a bit footy knowledge worth there salt knows that , or do they......... This is why the backs never came into it........ No one was good, but without go forward..... No one can be.

I think Starling does his role ok. He is certainly no superstar but I do not think he is letting anyone down either. He has done a reasonable job this year. Leave the poor guy alone.
I would like to think turbo could do a better job but our reggies are consistently been flogged.
As for Hasson not sure he got enough game time today so not sure why people are bagging him also.
Donkeys got us with more desire and far more effective kicking game. If anything as Tooves said we were also hammered with offloads in the first 10 minutes.
I think turbo may get his chance as Kingy did not come back in the second half.

Red Pill said:
I think Starling does his role ok. He is certainly no superstar but I do not think he is letting anyone down either. He has done a reasonable job this year. Leave the poor guy alone.
I would like to think turbo could do a better job but our reggies are consistently been flogged.
As for Hasson not sure he got enough game time today so not sure why people are bagging him also.
Donkeys got us with more desire and far more effective kicking game. If anything as Tooves said we were also hammered with offloads in the first 10 minutes.
Yeah I see your point , but with the comp the way it is these days.... Your not going to go close with just being reasonable.... Both starling and hasson have had more then enough time to make there mark, and although being solid, reasonable plodders there not up to it yet...... Have a look at the top sides benches, they come on and add to the sides impact, go forward , ours is very poor.. And for king , well it just seems like the game is leaving him behind.... Solid old bull for years , but it's caught up with him I think.....

c eagle said:
Red Pill said:
Yeah I see your point , but with the comp the way it is these days.... Your not going to go close with just being reasonable.... Both starling and hasson have had more then enough time to make there mark, and although being solid, reasonable plodders there not up to it yet...... Have a look at the top sides benches, they come on and add to the sides impact, go forward , ours is very poor.. And for king , well it just seems like the game is leaving him behind.... Solid old bull for years , but it's caught up with him I think.....

We are a top side as well I thought? Though it was far from the case today and DCE was missing we have the most potent back line in the comp. that is the trade off for having a couple of plodders that we pay peanuts for and expect them to the world beaters!

I'd be happy for just one less second rower type in the 17 and one more genuine prop in the top grade. Whilst I completely rate Lui, Hasson, JSL in 2014 I am thinking they're all better suited to the back row, just lacking a little bit of size and grit.

First up, our forwards make less metres as a group than every single other team in the NRL I read here the other day.

Josh Starling is a starting prop in an elite competition on an elite team. He just doesn't measure up to all the other props in his same position around the league. His covering tackle doesn't make up for that.

I want to know what prospects we have in that position? Like others have said, all our junior teams have been nothing but terrible.

We have Sao (who I thought in his one NRL game showed more than Starling full stop), same goes for Trbojevic.

Im happy for us to compete this year, and not contend if it means we blood some youth now. All the players that are threatening or wanting to leqve should just piss off, so we can build a winning culture around those we can afford and those who want to remain, and play for us fans and the club with passion.

Player managers raise this crap in the media, hoping to create hysteria. For mine, its creating apathy both for individual players, and for the game. If Choc is so passionate about joining the Eels, just go. Holding him and Matai here againt their wills will be a sure fire way to lose team culture, performance and fans (it's already started).

Loyalty is a two-way street.

Anyone that didn't want to be at Manly 100% you'd seriously consider letting go.

This club @Ryan HAS a winning culture, and has done almost in it's entirety; certainly since the 70's.

The two men you dismiss there (Choc and Skivi) are legends of the club and deserve more respect than that. AND until there's proof they want out, I back em in all the way.

They've done far more for Manly than anyone here ever has, or probably will (though perhaps Dan gets an honorable mention for Silvertails).

Even though at times what people post is outrageous, or simply unfair and unproductive.

Sunday was unacceptable (one game).

But so is most of this premature EJECTulation.

Ryan said:
First up, our forwards make less metres as a group than every single other team in the NRL I read here the other day.

Josh Starling is a starting prop in an elite competition on an elite team. He just doesn't measure up to all the other props in his same position around the league. His covering tackle doesn't make up for that.

I want to know what prospects we have in that position? Like others have said, all our junior teams have been nothing but terrible.

We have Sao (who I thought in his one NRL game showed more than Starling full stop), same goes for Trbojevic.

Im happy for us to compete this year, and not contend if it means we blood some youth now. All the players that are threatening or wanting to leqve should just piss off, so we can build a winning culture around those we can afford and those who want to remain, and play for us fans and the club with passion.

Player managers raise this crap in the media, hoping to create hysteria. For mine, its creating apathy both for individual players, and for the game. If Choc is so passionate about joining the Eels, just go. Holding him and Matai here againt their wills will be a sure fire way to lose team culture, performance and fans (it's already started).

Ryan, I think you are close to it with Starling, yes he would not start at any other team but also none of our other props bar Kingy would either.

Personalyl I think Starling is at the bench standard for NRL but with losing 3 props we were always going to struggle here.

The reason we lost all 3 was salaray cap, we have a lot in 2 of our backrowers, both were missing last game. This is the gamble we have taken.

I hope Toovey has put a rocket up the forwards this week at training & is pointing out that his loyalty will only last so long before changes to the forward pack will be implemented.

Partially agree with those saying our backs were bad because they had no time & space but still their error count was unusually high. Lyon will be better for the run & I can see a big performance out of him this Friday night.

I think everyone should just take a step back and relax, our forwards are getting a hammering in these threads, the way the Broncos played on Sunday i think they beat most teams in the comp including the heavyweights.

I dont think our forwards have been THAT bad so far this season, to me it looks like Tooves wants a faster more mobile forward pack so i cant see us getting anymore big boppers anytime soon.
Starling and Lawrance have done an awesome job for us starting so far, Starling is a Mauro type prop who takes the hit ups and makes the tackles with minimal errors nothing flash but does his job and takes the sting of the first quarter of games. Lawrance is very strong runner of the footy with good leg drive and very fast over 40m and occasional offload.
JSL has been in my opinion our best impact forward all season, he has gone from fringe 1st grader to regular off the bench and geez he really runs hard like Fa'oaso did for us last year.

The rest of our bench is a game to game prospect i think depending on who we play and what type of game its going to be but if i were Tooves id like to see our forward pack look like this(assuming our backrow is full strength):

8. Starling
9. Ballin
10. King (big,aggressive and ideal to set the platform at the start of games for our bench to kick on with when needed)

14. Buhrer (I think has to be in our 17,good footwork,runs good lines on edges and can play in the middle making the tackles and hittin up the ball)
15. JSL (awesome impact,runs hard, big and hard to tackle)
16. Lawrence (I think would play better off the bench in the second qtr of halfs, good leg drive and speed against tiring defence, would love to see him run an inside line off DCE or Foz when going across field)
17. Lui/Symonds (Lui plays with alot of energy and runs hard but Symonds has the footwork and passing skills so the 17 would depends on what sort of opponent and game plan we are playing)

NFN2IT said:
I think everyone should just take a step back and relax, our forwards are getting a hammering in these threads, the way the Broncos played on Sunday i think they beat most teams in the comp including the heavyweights.

I dont think our forwards have been THAT bad so far this season, to me it looks like Tooves wants a faster more mobile forward pack so i cant see us getting anymore big boppers anytime soon.
Starling and Lawrance have done an awesome job for us starting so far, Starling is a Mauro type prop who takes the hit ups and makes the tackles with minimal errors nothing flash but does his job and takes the sting of the first quarter of games. Lawrance is very strong runner of the footy with good leg drive and very fast over 40m and occasional offload.
JSL has been in my opinion our best impact forward all season, he has gone from fringe 1st grader to regular off the bench and geez he really runs hard like Fa'oaso did for us last year.

The rest of our bench is a game to game prospect i think depending on who we play and what type of game its going to be but if i were Tooves id like to see our forward pack look like this(assuming our backrow is full strength):

8. Starling
9. Ballin
10. King (big,aggressive and ideal to set the platform at the start of games for our bench to kick on with when needed)

14. Buhrer (I think has to be in our 17,good footwork,runs good lines on edges and can play in the middle making the tackles and hittin up the ball)
15. JSL (awesome impact,runs hard, big and hard to tackle)
16. Lawrence (I think would play better off the bench in the second qtr of halfs, good leg drive and speed against tiring defence, would love to see him run an inside line off DCE or Foz when going across field)
17. Lui/Symonds (Lui plays with alot of energy and runs hard but Symonds has the footwork and passing skills so the 17 would depends on what sort of opponent and game plan we are playing)

So you have Horo starting ahead of Buhrer??????? Have you been watching games at all this season?:huh:

Fluffy said:
Ryan said:

Ryan, I think you are close to it with Starling, yes he would not start at any other team but also none of our other props bar Kingy would either.

Personalyl I think Starling is at the bench standard for NRL but with losing 3 props we were always going to struggle here.

The reason we lost all 3 was salaray cap, we have a lot in 2 of our backrowers, both were missing last game. This is the gamble we have taken.

I don't disagree with the comments regarding Starling, however when judging his performances the following should be taken into account.

Until 2 weeks ago he was only 23. Until he came to Manly he had played only 7 1st grade games. Because of our depth he was probably elevated to 1sts sooner than 2v wanted (eg taking time with Turbo)

I get the impression that he is a young man that WANTS to get better and learn his trade, and whilst I doubt he will ever be a superstar, I do think by the end of next season he will be a valued member of the squad.

Fluffy said:
Which team do you think he would start in?

Start, I don't know, but in the 17, probably a handful. If I was flippant I would say manly.

My point is that if I'm judging him as coming to Manly as an established 1st grader I would mark him poorly.

If I'm judging him as coming to manly as an inexperienced young man with only 7 games under his belt I'm prepared to think he has some improvement in him, and 2v appears to be willing to give him time.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6