Tigers set to shut doors to general public for future Leichhardt fixtures

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Tigers set to shut doors to general public for future Leichhardt fixtures

Brad Walter February 21, 2012

WESTS TIGERS boss Stephen Humphreys believes matches at Leichhardt Oval are set to become member-only affairs as the club's round one match against Cronulla heads for a sell-out without tickets going on sale to the general public.

With huge interest in the March 4 clash, the club yesterday launched a special one-game membership package for the match and Humphreys said the sales had been phenomenal.

''We have had our biggest day of membership sales today,'' he said last night. ''We will see how they go over the next few days and if they are not all gone we will put some tickets on public sale later in the week but at this stage the response has been terrific.''

Asked what Sharks supporters wanting to see the anticipated clash between Benji Marshall and Todd Carney could do if Tigers members bought all the tickets, Humphreys said: ''They'll have to watch it on Foxtel or Channel Nine.''

So far, the Tigers have about 10,000 members signed up for 2012, which is triple the amount they had two years ago, and Humphreys said he expected that figure to increase significantly before the season starts.

''I do think we are approaching that day when Leichhardt games are members only, which would be great for Wests Tigers but not so good for opposing fans,'' he said.

''At some point I would expect that we would have members-only fixtures at all our Leichhardt and Campbelltown games.

''Whether this one does or not … we are still building towards that but I think that day will certainly come as our membership grows. This game will certainly go close, at least.''

As it stands, all reserved seating is already sold out at Leichhardt Oval for the Tigers' three matches there this season.

Unlike other stadiums, such as the SFS or ANZ Stadium, there is only one small grandstand and the majority of fans at the 18,000 capacity venue have to stand.

Humphreys said the $65 membership package was the only way fans could guarantee tickets to the match. ''Regrettably we don't get too many Sunday afternoon games at Leichhardt and here we have one for round one so there is a lot of interest in it,'' he said. ''For a modest $65 they also get a whole range of member benefits and become a paid-up, proud member of the club. We have sold hundreds of them today and the response has been terrific.

''We have sold out Leichhardt a few times over the last two or three years so I am really hopeful that people get that message that to avoid disappointment and guarantee their ticket membership is the way to go.''

If we could sell out Brookvale only to our supporters I'd love that. I hate having to sit/stand next to the opposition supporters and listen to their dumb and offensive crap.

That is not a dumb move at all.

Their "membership" numbers will be through the roof now, even if they are false members

It won't surprise me if the NRL jump on this. I understand what the Tigers are doing, but if it was Tigers v Manly at Leichardt and none of us could go I'm sure we all be quite pissed about it.

Preventing Away fans from attending a match is not good for the NRL, if the game is that popular then move it to another ground, they have 3 FFS.

We were forced to move our semi last year, why are Tigers allowed to do this. they should have their games at Leichardt against non-NSW teams so they are not preventing footy fans from getting to a game.

Brookie4eva said:
It won't surprise me if the NRL jump on this. I understand what the Tigers are doing, but if it was Tigers v Manly at Leichardt and none of us could go I'm sure we all be quite pissed about it.

Preventing Away fans from attending a match is not good for the NRL, if the game is that popular then move it to another ground, they have 3 FFS.

We were forced to move our semi last year, why are Tigers allowed to do this. they should have their games at Leichardt against non-NSW teams so they are not preventing footy fans from getting to a game.

100% agree with that comment.

And I love sitting/standing next to the other team's supporters, especially when they are loosing. Amazing how quiet they can go.

Eagles Terrorist said:
Brookie4eva said:

100% agree with that comment.

And I love sitting/standing next to the other team's supporters, especially when they are loosing. Amazing how quiet they can go.

Lol. My mates and i went to watch the boys run around in Newcastle last year. We were standing next to this bloke being such a friggin parrot. He was abusing all of the Manly boys. We were up him and he was up us........until wolfie scored in the first minute! He beat it after that.

Remember this, The NRL are positioning themselves to have all Sydney teams play Sydney teams in two arenas, either the SFS or Homebush. The rest of the games against out-of-towners, low attendance games, will be played at the suburban grounds.

This move by the Tigers will give the NRL ammunition to enforce such a policy, and it will ultimately cost us games being played at Brookie.

Hopefully 1 game memberships aren't counted by the nrl as real memberships? Anyone who buys one ticket is a member? Gimme a break.

Stevo said:
Lol. My mates and i went to watch the boys run around in Newcastle last year. We were standing next to this bloke being such a friggin parrot. He was abusing all of the Manly boys. We were up him and he was up us........until wolfie scored in the first minute! He beat it after that.

i was lucky to score a seat in the away teams area for that game, a few seats from dce (during the u/20's). during the main game there was a bloke near me almost crying for most of the game. my cheering whenever we scored & laughing at him didn't help i guess!

Brookie4eva said:

You're looking at it it the wrong way man.

They're not preventing away supporters from attending, they're unable to fit them in.

It's fantastic.

For all the ****tards on this site who claim that we don't get crowds to Brookie because of the facilities, read this and never speak again. You are morons. Real footy fans love the old grounds. Real footy fans hate the bland mediocrity of the sadiums.

If we could get this at Brookie we'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

Yes i'd be disappointed at being an away fan and not being able to get to the game but who cares about away fans? Away fans are the enemy, they are scum and deserve to be treated as such. We have to accept that for half the games we are royalty and for the other half we are the vermin that those who infest Brookie when they come over our way are.

Suck a bag shark fans, I hope you can do the same to the tigpies when they head to the shire and i hope we can do the same to you. Rugby League would be the winner.

false members Dan but they now have their details/ data to market too....

Duff said:
Brookie4eva said:

They're not preventing away supporters from attending, they're unable to fit them in.

It's fantastic.

For all the ****tards on this site who claim that we don't get crowds to Brookie because of the facilities, read this and never speak again. You are morons. Real footy fans love the old grounds. Real footy fans hate the bland mediocrity of the sadiums.

Yes i'd be disappointed at being an away fan and not being able to get to the game but who cares about away fans? Away fans are the enemy, they are scum and deserve to be treated as such. We have to accept that for half the games we are royalty and for the other half we are the vermin that those who infest Brookie when they come over our way are.

Suck a bag shark fans, I hope you can do the same to the tigpies when they head to the shire and i hope we can do the same to you. Rugby League would be the winner.

Firstly great way to start a post, F***Tards, real nice there. Well you know what I go to about 10 away games a year, and I am not looking forward to being locked out of CUA, Shark Park, Leichart, Belmore, Parramatta Stadium, Dairy Farmers and Kograh. As I am sure fans of other teams would feel about Brookvale.

The NRL needs to do something, they should either make clubs move the game, or provide a certain number of away tickets, say 3000. These clubs are not going to loose money doing that, they will still sell out the place, possibly at a higher per head price.

The point is that it is not fair or reasonable to expect fans to go many weeks without being able to see their team play live, as it might be if you had 4 -5 games away in a row at these venues. You can buy tickets to Man U or Liverpool games as an away supporter, and they have huge memberships, we should and must have a similar system in place in League. Otherwise the only solution will end up being forcing clubs to play at bigger venues.

By not allowing away fans in the Tigers will force the NRLs hand on this. They will not allow this to happen time after time, and in the end it is going to cost us games at Brookvale.

The NRL aren't going to lock opposition fans out. I'd imagine that the traveling team will still get it's allocation of tickets to sell to it's members. No big deal.

Rusty said:
Duff said:
Brookie4eva said:

It's fantastic.

Firstly great way to start a post, F***Tards, real nice there. Well you know what I go to about 10 away games a year, and I am not looking forward to being locked out of CUA, Shark Park, Leichart, Belmore, Parramatta Stadium, Dairy Farmers and Kograh. As I am sure fans of other teams would feel about Brookvale.

The NRL needs to do something, they should either make clubs move the game, or provide a certain number of away tickets, say 3000. These clubs are not going to loose money doing that, they will still sell out the place, possibly at a higher per head price.

The point is that it is not fair or reasonable to expect fans to go many weeks without being able to see their team play live, as it might be if you had 4 -5 games away in a row at these venues. You can buy tickets to Man U or Liverpool games as an away supporter, and they have huge memberships, we should and must have a similar system in place in League. Otherwise the only solution will end up being forcing clubs to play at bigger venues.

By not allowing away fans in the Tigers will force the NRLs hand on this. They will not allow this to happen time after time, and in the end it is going to cost us games at Brookvale.

It's one of my favourite words.

I also go to anywhere up to ten away games per year. I too would hate to miss seeing my team play, but that's exactly my point. Anything that can make an opposition supporter upset, put out, uncomfortable or just pissed off is great. That's what it's all about. The tigpie fans (scum that they are) have stck one right up the sharks here. If i was them i'd find it great that they've taken something away from sharks fans.

The enemy is the enemy. If an opposition kid is made to cry, good. If an opposition fan is beat up by security, good. If an opposition fans plans to have a day at the footy are ruined, well good.

Duff said:
The enemy is the enemy. If an opposition kid is made to cry, good. If an opposition fan is beat up by security, good. If an opposition fans plans to have a day at the footy are ruined, well good.

that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. How would you feel if this happened to you and how is that kind of thinking going to help Manly and the NRL progress?

Manly To Win! said:
Duff said:

that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. How would you feel if this happened to you and how is that kind of thinking going to help Manly and the NRL progress?

Did you read the rest of my post?

Going to an opposition ground is at least naughty, at most an act of hostility.

To say it again, i am a regular traveller. I went to probably more than 20 games last year given we went all the way.

The opposition fans are our enemies. Think about what you don't want to happen to you, that is what you want to happen to them.

The players do battle on one side of the fence, we have the other. Read a public forum if you want to get fired up. Other supporters hate you and me equally. If you want them to get away with it, that's your choice. I don't, so they can eat a bag of dicks. If you dare to support a different team to me, you get what i give you. If you wont join in, it's your choice.

If they hate us for being who we are, then brother, you better believe i hate them.

**** the enemy. Let'em get what's coming.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2