Thurston vs DCE

• Thread starter Deleted member 24974
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He had 3 Dally M medals by the time he reached 26 (the age of DCE).

No he didn't (but granted, he had won 2!).

Then again, Ben Barba has won more Dally M's than DCE. It doesn't make him a better player.

DCE has played in 2 grand finals, won a premiership as a starting half and a Clive Churchill medal. JT hadn't done any of that at 26.

JT may well have been better at 26, but there's not as much in it as you make out.

DCE will not play 40 origins, 40 tests, win 4 DallyM's by the time he finishes. He has the potential to be as good as Thurston, but apart from Johns there has never been a better half back to lace a boot than JT.

That's just a simple fact. I do beleive that by the time they finish their careers DCE will have won two or three more premierships than JT.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think you can put DCE in the class of Thurston or Cronk on form over the last 5 years. Thurston and Cronk have shown they manage games and close them out, when the game is on the line they take control and play the percentages in a very Andrew Johns way. How often in recent years have we lamented our halves ability to position for a field goal or something similar?

Now I do think something that affects this is having 2 dominant halves, which we have had. So sometimes they can get crossed wires, whereas in recent years Cronk and Thurston know it's their job. This is something DCE will get better with going forward.

The comparison though on grand final wins I don't get. It's a team effort, and a half can't win comps without a solid team around them. Do we say Mitchell Pearce is a greater half than Thurston because he won a grand final at a younger age than Thurston? (As the starting half). Of course not.

I'd rather give him a comparable forward pack

Ours was awful bar Mason and Jake T,Jake may have gotten a bench spot at the cows but mason wouldn't have

Its a valid point no doubt, and let me add DCE is a mighty fine player but on 2015 form nowhere near JT in my opinion. I also agree he played busted for most of the season.

But the past 3 years he has been every bit as good if not better.

JT has more footy talent in his ass crack than any other half in the game.
JT is not really all that talented of a footballer just a supremely competitive always probing one.
It wasn't until a new coach created a more disciplined consistent performing team by applying some structures that held up under pressure, improving their go forward with one of the better performing forward packs this year, did we see the Cowboys finally go from just making the numbers to a serious GF contender.

This is the first year i thought the Cowboys were in the top 3 sides or to a different extent offered throughout the season a top 3 performance that made me stand up and take them seriously.(i've never picked the Cowboys once until during this season on the basis JT alone was not a good enough player to make a team perform above expectations)

The teams that have best harnessed their forwards, running good hard straight lines with punch and explosiveness have been the teams to take the power game to the new level and win premierships Roosters,Souths,Cowboys.

JT's influence in winning this GF is not as big as people are making out but his competitive spirit offers great leadership qualities that is required to win big games.

Its a valid point no doubt, and let me add DCE is a mighty fine player but on 2015 form nowhere near JT in my opinion. I also agree he played busted for most of the season.

But the past 3 years he has been every bit as good if not better.
See now we're in total agreeance

2015 Chez was down on form with both contractual and injury issues

I'd pick Chez for us and Thurston for the cows, both are an excellent 'everyman' for their franchises

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8