Thurston gets away with it always.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
Johnathan Thurston explodes with foul-mouthed spray at referees after frustration boils over

8 hours agoby BEN GLOVERSource: FOX SPORTS

JOHNATHAN Thurston has always worn his heart on his sleeve and with things going against the Cowboys, the champion took out his frustration on the referees with a foul-mouthed spray.

With his side’s premiership defence slipping through their fingers and a run of 50/50 penalties going against them midway through the second half, Thurston was warned by lead referee Ben Cummins to “be very careful” after informing the skipper that there had been “a lot of rubbish” from the Cowboys.

“What do you mean be careful?” Thurston hit back.

“You need to get your f***in’ s*** calls right.”

Click on the video player at the top of the page to watch Thurston’s testy exchange with the referees!

It was an exchange that didn’t go unnoticed in the commentary box, with Fox Sports caller Andrew Voss pointing out that Thurston was perhaps a little lucky to stay on the field.

“I think that’s a sin bin for what is being said there,” Voss said.

“Johnathan many times, we understand the heat of the moment, but if we’re fairdinkum about respect for referees and the like, you’re off to the bin aren’t you."

It was a moment of anger that built up after a night when seemingly nothing could go right for the four-time Dally M Medal winner.

His kicks didn’t quite hit the mark for much of the game and several of his passes were uncharacteristically mistimed, going behind the intended recipient.

It was a performance that was summed up by a 15th minute play that started with Thurston dropping the ball behind him on sixth tackle and finishing with one of the most ridiculous forward passes you’ll ever see.

As the champion halfback scrambled into his own half with Sharks defenders in pursuit, he flung the ball out wide, with the pass seemingly intended for a teammate standing at least three metres in front of him.

At that stage Cronulla were already well on top and by the time Thurston let his frustration out at referee Cummins the Sharks had their foot on the throat of last year’s premiers.

Even though the Cowboys scored the last three tries in a late flurry to make the scoreline acceptable it was always going to be too little, too late.

Nothing new. He's outright accused the NRL if bias towards Sydney clubs, sworn at referees.....and has never once been called into question over it.

Protected species.

Still, Killer got away with similar this year with his "Its like you're trying to get them back into the game" comment going surprisingly unpunished.

If they had shown some spine and suspended him about 5 years ago when he first started with this rubbish then he might have learned a lesson. By ignoring it they have basically condoned it. It's funny how you can get cited and suspended for accidentally brushing the outstretched arm of a referee, but verbally abusing them and questioning their competency (or worse their integrity) is OK.....if your JT. They'll laugh it off because he's "such a competitor".

@Harry Smith the refs have been nothing short of pathetic for years. And they have steadily gotten worse since SL introduced the video ref in 1997.

At least pre-video we had referees like Harrigan, McCallum, Stone, Annesley etc who had the balls to back their own judgement, even if it proved to be wrong at times. These days 9 out of 10 tries get sent to the bunker even if Stevie Wonder could see it was a clear cut try or no-try.

@Harry Smith the refs have been nothing short of pathetic for years. And they have steadily gotten worse since SL introduced the video ref in 1997.

At least pre-video we had referees like Harrigan, McCallum, Stone, Annesley etc who had the balls to back their own judgement, even if it proved to be wrong at times. These days 9 out of 10 tries get sent to the bunker even if Stevie Wonder could see it was a clear cut try or no-try.
Yup, we need to adopt the Holden Cup's "captain's challenge" it really worked in Dragons vs Knights game in rd26 and forced the refs to gain some balls.

However it's not just the video that has been their downfall, it's literally their eyesight... There has been countless forward passes that the ref is inline with that he just ignores and it seems the only time they make a call on it it's the wrong call or a very harsh one at that

C'mon guys, he gives his head gear to kids after games remember so he's a top bloke.
I've said it before, get Buhrer to start handing out his head gear at half-time, then start handing out massive expletive laden verbals to the officials (yeah the touchies as well). Rip into 'em Jamie!

I just don't get the love fest for him.

He is a bad sport and has done nothing with the Cowboys until he had good players around him. At origin he had the luxury of Smith and Lockyer/Cronk to take the pressure off.

No way is he the best player of all time like some are now starting to claim. Claiming that he is a future immortal and maybe better than Johns is laughable.

Johns totally dominated games in attack and would make 30-40 tackles some games. He changed the way the game is played today with his kicking and positioning of hip runners.

Don't get me wrong JT is an awesome player and I would love to have him at Manly I just think he is more in the Steve Mortimer type greatness, not the Fulton, Johns type.

He had a shocker in that game just like the GF last year. His defence is suspect and he loses his cool under pressure.

I reckon Thurston is a great competitor and a few Manly players smiling , accepting defeat could take a bit from his winning attitude.
Agree he, like Smith gets special treatment....but the way they compete 80 minutes Every week...they fight for the calls.
Some are BS...others from work ethic.

Great to see Thurston & the Cowboys gone,all they do is whinge when they loose,but when they win you don't hear from them,good riddance.

I hate the way rules are changed every year but one change I would love, which is not even a rule, would be for refs to decide to put an end to player tantrums and bullying behaviour towards refs.

There are some extreme examples, many starring JT, also Graham from the Dogs, but pretty much every match you ever see there is some amount of disrespect and shouting etc.

Instant penalty for backchat, 10 in the bin for abuse or aggressive behaviour to a ref.

It would be stamped out in about 5 minutes flat, and would be a much better look, not to mention it would give fans something better to emulate.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4