Thurston an Eagle ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dan link said:
So Moops you are telling me the talent scouts, have not discovered any talent?

Inglis
Falou
Cronk
Hell Smith has been there his whole career

Their main recruitment officer is recognized by everyone in the industry as one of, if not the best going around.

You have rocks in your head if you truly truly believe the entire game, referees etc are as corrupt as you think. You also have rocks in your head if you dont believe they know how to spot talent at the Storm

What Kiwi said re Peter O'Sullivan. I guess I am not the only one to have a few rocks in my head!

I know one thing for sure, Inglis and Folau were identified as outstanding talents from a very young age so I certainly won't be worshipping from the O'Sullivan altar just yet, thanx. I am a teacher, so if I identify a student that has aced tests all their life, from kindergarten onwards, and recommend him for the future, does this make me some kind of messiah? Sorry, but just taking the best juniors in the country shouldn't make you a legend. It is taking the next tier down and turning them into names that impresses me.

And yes, I do believe that dodgy dealings/favours have been going on ever since the Storm entered the comp. You can call it corruption if you like. Whenever a club is being run by the owners of a game, I am suspicious. Wouldn't happen anywhere else in the world. Imagine the uproar if the Barclays Premier League owned a team in the EPL? Simply not professional

tookey link said:
So we just forget about Coffs Harbour?

The guy is a grub and leave him at north QLD.  He wants to run the show at NQLD and has no respect for any coach or any tactics unless they are his own.  A destablising influnce on a team and Manly should steer clear of him no matter how good a footballer he is. 

That quote is from the father of a current first grader in NQLD and is why they have not won a premiership since Thurston has been there.  If Manly sign him it will be Craig field all over again

It hurts me to say it, but our team isn't filled with angels either.

Every team has destabilising figures (we've got a couple), it's the job of the coach to keep the egos in check and make sure everyone contributes as well as they should be (and Des is one of the best at doing this). From a simple footballing perspective, Thurston is the best possible person to have wearing the 7, and if he signed at the age of 27 he'd have what....5 years at his peak? That seems like good value to me.

I suspect the Cowboy's must pay a hefty portion of there cap to accommodate Thurston because I don't really see a fair distribution of talent across the team and I think this is reflected in there success or lack of it.
I acknowledge he is one of the best halves running around but I would hate to see Manly suffer a similar fate.

He gets sooky about media attention in Townsville.  How's he going to find Sydney.  I don't think we want a fellow he sleeps with other players' wives and chucks a hissy fit every time the coach doesn't do exactly as he says.

No from me - I don't care how good he is. He is a destabaliser and it shows in how the Cowboys perform come finals time. Take someone like Todd Greenburg and a clean-out of the troublemakers at the Dogs and you can see what a club can become. That is the sort of team I want to support.

What Kiwi said re Peter O'Sullivan. I guess I am not the only one to have a few rocks in my head!

I know one thing for sure, Inglis and Folau were identified as outstanding talents from a very young age so I certainly won't be worshipping from the O'Sullivan altar just yet, thanx. I am a teacher, so if I identify a student that has aced tests all their life, from kindergarten onwards, and recommend him for the future, does this make me some kind of messiah? Sorry, but just taking the best juniors in the country shouldn't make you a legend. It is taking the next tier down and turning them into names that impresses me.

And yes, I do believe that dodgy dealings/favours have been going on ever since the Storm entered the comp. You can call it corruption if you like. Whenever a club is being run by the owners of a game, I am suspicious. Wouldn't happen anywhere else in the world. Imagine the uproar if the Barclays Premier League owned a team in the EPL? Simply not professional

Moops the point is, even if they were spotted from a young age, which club managed to recruit them and what does that say of the abilities of their recruitment team.

Despite that, (not sure it is O'Sullivan) he is still recognized as one of if not the best in the game.

Get someone like that one board, and the talent will eventually follow.

Our recruitment team are good, but not the best.

Arguably the best player in the game V two young untested players

No brainer for mind

Dan, you would have to concede the point that Crusher has an outstanding record in talent identification and recruitment over the past 10 years or so though wouldn't you ?

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182075.msg246410#msg246410 date=1259214561]
Doesn't he have a dodgy shoulder?  That's what he told the judiciary in September 2007 anyway.
Two dodgy shoulders.
I can't remember if the angel wing tatoos were put on to cover the surgery scars ;)
[/quote]
No they were to please his major sponsor, Red Bull.

Kiwi, what does that have to do with anything?

tbh, I wouldn't be overly concerned if Mr DNA went to Melbourne and we got Thurston. In actual fact, I'd be really, really OK with it.

Moops link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=182075.msg246416#msg246416 date=1259217888]

Inglis
Falou
Cronk

Their main recruitment officer is recognized by everyone in the industry as one of, if not the best going around.

You have rocks in your head if you truly truly believe the entire game, referees etc are as corrupt as you think. You also have rocks in your head if you dont believe they know how to spot talent at the Storm

[/quote]

But thats exactly what selective schools do, or at least try to.

Exactly right Fluffy and not only that, someone had to recruit them didn't they, and who was that who recruited them?

Dan link said:

Inglis
Falou
Cronk

Their recruitment is second to none look at Inglis - Falou - Cronk - Slater - White - Kaufusi - Dallas Johnson - Adam Blair - Jeremy Smith - Will Chambers - Ryan Hoffaman - Dane Nielson - Aiden Tolman - Sika Manu all of them were picked up at a young age and made their debut for the club. Crocker & Finch was their only big signings in the past couple of years. Then you had players like Turner - Quinn - Geyer - Lima - Aitken - Brett Anderson who played less than First Grade 15 games for their previous clubs. They pick up players from NSW Qld & NZ.

Also look what they have lost for the last couple of years
Scott Anderson - Broncos / Folau - Broncos / Sika Manu - Rabbits / Jeremy Smith - Dragons / Crocker - Rabbits / Kaufusi - Nth Qld / Turner - Bulldogs / Chambers - Rugby.

Thats a club that is willing to try their junior players.

That said, most clubs can't afford to pick up juniors of this calibre and keep them as it costs huge cash. Only a News-style budget would allow it. All more reason why there is no level playing field.

Dan link said:
Kiwi, what does that have to do with anything?

Reading back through it all now, **** all really. A misread originally on my behalf

I believe we have a pretty good recruitment team with us now, we maybe don't get our hands on the really young fella's like they do, but with our recycling of fringe players we would have to be among the best if not the best

Rambo 100% right.

Dont forget Cameron Smith came from QLD cup directly to the Storm as well.

CW it really doesn't have a lot to do with money as you suggest, they are subject to the same rules and guidelines as everyone else, they may have a little extra backing because of the interest form their owners. They get them young and keep them there, it's a successful formula that has worked well.

Moops is deadset lost if he thinks we would not be better for having the talent scouting and recruiting abilities of Melbourne.

Crusher can spot talent, granted but can he also attract it to the club as well as the team at the Storm?

Rambo1987 link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=182075.msg246416#msg246416 date=1259217888]

Inglis
Falou
Cronk

Their recruitment is second to none look at Inglis - Falou - Cronk - Slater - White - Kaufusi - Dallas Johnson - Adam Blair - Jeremy Smith - Will Chambers - Ryan Hoffaman - Dane Nielson - Aiden Tolman - Sika Manu all of them were picked up at a young age and made their debut for the club. Crocker & Finch was their only big signings in the past couple of years. Then you had players like Turner - Quinn - Geyer - Lima - Aitken - Brett Anderson who played less than First Grade 15 games for their previous clubs. They pick up players from NSW Qld & NZ.

Also look what they have lost for the last couple of years
Scott Anderson - Broncos / Folau - Broncos / Sika Manu - Rabbits / Jeremy Smith - Dragons / Crocker - Rabbits / Kaufusi - Nth Qld / Turner - Bulldogs / Chambers - Rugby.

Thats a club that is willing to try their junior players.
[/quote]

As much as I hate to say it, I think that it has more to do with the coach TBH, rather than the recruitment man. Bellamy can get the best out of his players, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

Selective schools kick in in year 5. I can predict from kindergarten the kids that have more potential. I would be interetsed to see how your miracle man went at the Sharks/Warriors to name just two.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2