thoughts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think you blokes are being a bit harsh on Kite.  I think he's still got something to offer.  I thought he was easily our best prop in the second half of last year whereas I think King on the other hand I think is past his best.  He's just too slow and when you compare him with other similar sized props he just doesn't have the mobility.  He'd still be worthwhile if he had a decent offload but we just don't play that way, which is evident us being ranked last that stat. 

Agree with Susan about Ox.  I think Snake looks in pretty good nick but people forget about the combination he had with Ox, I think Snakes try to game ratio will drop but it won't be due to his physical abilities.

Interesting stat re off loads Masked Eagle.  That was something I noticed on Saturday night.  What irks me is the passing of the ball by Kite and King before they are anywhere near the line.  They are not ball players, so why do that.  Off-loads at the edge of the ruck to someone running into a hole is different than just passing the ball for someone else to get creamed.  I'm not throwing in the towel like some others, but would hope that King, Kite and Rose get a bit of the 'quicken up' from Des and he get someone in to teach them off loading skills.   

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Was I the only one that was impressed by Mauro's opening run from the bench

I want us to make a big play for Mose Masoe from the chooks
Spot on Kiwi I think Masoe is a top class player but the question is when was the last time we made a play for anyone other than a washed up player like The preacher and Matt Cross, I'm sure there was great competition to get their signatures 

The funny thing is that despite all of our optimistic thoughts before kickoff, we are sitting on the table just about where most experts suggested we would. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.

DSM5 link said:
Interesting stat re off loads Masked Eagle.  That was something I noticed on Saturday night.  What irks me is the passing of the ball by Kite and King before they are anywhere near the line.  They are not ball players, so why do that.  Off-loads at the edge of the ruck to someone running into a hole is different than just passing the ball for someone else to get creamed.  I'm not throwing in the towel like some others, but would hope that King, Kite and Rose get a bit of the 'quicken up' from Des and he get someone in to teach them off loading skills.   

Agree 110%....if they are dropping it by trying maybe they should just hang on to it and make the metres...you work with what you have!

Many good points and likely suspects that haven't improved on their handling and penalties, I was just waiting for these 3 players to drop the ball and give away a penalty:

King
Watmough
Kite

All 3 of them did, numerously..

Anyway, if I was to concentrate on one difference between the 2 sides it was the delivery from dummy-half. Smith had it all over Ballin, granted Ballin was knocked around, but before this, his service from dummy-half wasn't anywhere near the level of Smith (even with his forward pass)

Smith was the difference.  He's world class.  Pity we don't have him.  Anyway the most depressing thing to come out of Melbourne is the comparison between what they have as a stadium and Brookvale.  The Club really needs to do some hard begging to have us continue to be allowed to play out of the old girl.  It needs 20 or so Million, and quickly. 

SwornEagle link said:
Anyway, if I was to concentrate on one difference between the 2 sides it was the delivery from dummy-half. Smith had it all over Ballin, granted Ballin was knocked around, but before this, his service from dummy-half wasn't anywhere near the level of Smith (even with his forward pass)

Agreed. This was a major factor in DCE's limited time to get kicks away. It wasn't just Ballin either. Jake Friend will be onto it next week and will be rushing from dummy half to put pressure on the kicks. The delivery has to be smoother with blockers in place as required.

I realise it's only one loss and there's plenty of time, but jeez I hope they give Liam Higgins a run at some stage this year. I've never been an advocate of throwing young blokes in too early but the kid has a real look of class about him.
If we lost him I'd be gutted !

The fact is without Lyon and Ballin we were still in the game with 15mins to go. Our defence was very solid which is a pretty good sign, reminds me of 2007//2008 when we relied on our defence to win matches. If our attack can improve I'm still certain we will go a long way this year. Good games from Stewy bros, and some good signs from Buhrer and Mauro.

I agree in part Gazza.  Our defense was certainly streets ahead of what it was last year.  And they played most of the game in our half which says something with only three tries scored.  I'd like the players to stare at the Dogs/Tigers game last night and take away from it the necessity of staying in a line.  The Dogs did that superbly.  No brain explosions and running out of the line to put a hit on.  That won't work. 

DSM5 link said:
I agree in part Gazza.  Our defense was certainly streets ahead of what it was last year.  And they played most of the game in our half which says something with only three tries scored.  I'd like the players to stare at the Dogs/Tigers game last night and take away from it the necessity of staying in a line.  The Dogs did that superbly.  No brain explosions and running out of the line to put a hit on.  That won't work. 

Storm are an ordinary team. We face teams like The Roosters, Dragons, Broncos and co. DSM5.

We'll be lucky to scrape 13th - 15th this year.

We looked ordinary this past week. VERY ordinary. Then take out our 2 best players.

I suppose I'm trying to find any positives I can...it's hard to tell how melbourne will go Ryan. They were always going to be pumped for whoever they played 1st round because they would finally play for points. We need a spark in attack, maybe a ball player like L Foran at lock/ Keiran is more of a runner, Daly looks to have a decent kicking game, with some good footwork. We need somebody like Cliffy who can just put players into gaps at will  (Cliffys still playing A grade)

Ryan, Melbourne weren't/aren't ordinary.  Even with a new pack of forwards, they still have the form half, hooker and fullback in the game.  Coupled with playing at their fabulous arena, they were pumped for a first game in a year for a points encounter.  Certainly we were under the pump in the second half, but we were competitive in the first forty.  If T-Rex had of held the line, then no second try for them and maybe a game changer as they had us pinned for plenty of tackles.  I'm not saying we will win the comp, although I'd like to think so, I just don't think you should put us in the four worst performing teams.     

manlyborn link said:
I realise it's only one loss and there's plenty of time, but jeez I hope they give Liam Higgins a run at some stage this year. I've never been an advocate of throwing young blokes in too early but the kid has a real look of class about him.
If we lost him I'd be gutted !

He is all class , if he doesn't make it to first grade i'll be shocked

I've know I've said it before but it's going to be a tough start to the season.

If we are going to show anything, it won't be until round 7 or 8.

By then those that are underdone or coming back from long term injury/suspension should be hitting their straps, combinations should become evident and the bench rotation will be much stronger then it is now.

We are a long way off the pace at the moment and that's not going to change quickly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6