Thoughts on the Raiders game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Good effort to win with only 12 men, but I thought Canberra made a lot of errors which made our job easier. Having said that though, the defense was pretty committed and aside from a 15-20 minute period in the middle of the second half we looked in control. Points of note

* Thought Ballin had his best game so far this year, some good committed running from dummy half. Amazing what a bit of contract speculation can do.
* Thought Perry was the pick of the forwards.
* The send off of Cuthbo was a knee jerk to the crowd. Hampster was pretty ordinary last night and that was a poor decision. Definitely reportable, but you will see plenty worse than that not get marched.
* Watmough still has those frustrating handling errors in his game, such as another play the ball balls up last night. He just needs to concentrate on the ball and not let his excitement overcome him. He missed a couple of poor attempts at tackle last night too. But he did run the holes well last night and Ox straightened the attack nicely to him (just have to make sure the passes hit his chest every time)
* Couldn't believe they went to the video ref to check that Goodwin bombed try from the kick infield. If they ruled that a no knock on then I'd give up. He should have been penalised for bringing the game into disrepute for exhibiting complete spasticity in attempting to catch a ball.
* Williams unlucky to get his try called back....I don't know what the guy is supposed to do in a situation like that. Where is the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team ?? He is bringing the ball back from a miskick by Canberra through traffic and absolutley no intention of trying to use his player as a sheild and he gets penalised because, first Best misses a tackle and then Campese gets himself in an awkward situation with Lyon.

Was just about to make 1 of these, but will chuck mine in here too

Matai, Perry and Watmough were enormous for us last night, if those guys don't play we probably don't get the points imo. They all ran hard, tackled hard and were all over the place with effort, is especially good to see us a man down and Matai in from the flank to take some hitups up the middle. Also a special mention to Orford, another good performance under pressure, the composure he showed on that Robertson no try near the end was a big factor in us sealing the game.

Ballin had a good game, but when we are close to the tryline his option taking is diabolical. Would like Des to tell him that if he goes on his own from 5m out more than once in a set the hook will come out for him

Hicks was a loss for us, but **** we have some high quality depth on the flanks. I would not swap Robbo, Bani and Williams for any other side in the comps top 3 wingers

Hampstead letting the crowd whistle the game at times really wound me up too.

Pride is the word to sum up my thoughts on last nights effort from the side. We show so much heart on the paddock at times, and it is a great quality

Agree with your assessment C & C especially about Perry and Whatmough, although Hall, when he came on, also gave us some added grunt up the middle.  Apart from the try Kiwi, I can't agree with your view on Stevie Wonder (although when do I ever?).  He missed a couple of tackles, ran out of the line a few times which always gives me heart failure.  He wasn't alone in that department.  Robbo ran in to assist unnecessarily which gave the Raiders a clear run at the line.  The best part about last night was that the boys stepped up  with determination when Cuthbo was stupidly sent off.  I really liked the way Beaver was directing Williams where to stay when the raiders threatened down his side.  A truly good influence.  The guy's a legend and had an excellent game.  We'll have to do better next week. 

We had 12 men, of course the centres/wingers would have to run in to defuse opportunities because they are on the most vulnerable part of the turf. Matai and Robbo running in cut off some very dangerous play last night, and of course on the flip side it created a couple. The extra effort to dive on the loose pill a couple of times showed the sort of determination the whole side had to get us home.

1 thing i didn't mention earlier but should have, was the Stewart cover tackle on that winger, superb

apart from that Stewart seemed to have a very quiet game, still may be carrying an injury

did anyone else see LeStrange mouthing off after the last try the Raiders scored, I think he was filthy that they let them in

I thought Ballin played well but looked like he was trying to show he could be as creative as Le Snack.

The send off stuffed up Dessies bench rotation as well as we need to tighten up our play with 12 men.

Determination was the key for sure.  An excellent effort by all.  I wonder what do you think was the idea behind keeping Ballin on for so long.

I think he is a better defender than Le strange and we needed this with a man off.

Also needed to keep some extra interchanges for the other forwards who had to do more to cover for Cuthbertson.

I thought Perry was the pick of the forwards (again) and he is proving a real handful for all teams. Hall improved as well.

Matai had a terrfic game. Almost more involved than any other player including taking the hard yards up the middle. His try was a beauty, but the Raiders fullback definitely has poor vision for a left step :)

Ballin got a lot more game time but his constant charges from 5 Mt out drove me crazy. They are ok if he scores, but he honestly never looked likely.

I guess the most pleasing was how we really dominated a pack known for their physicality and looked like we would win easily for close to 70 minutes of 80. Just the sort of effort you could hope for. A great gutsy win.

I thought the rotation was excellent. I thought Ballin played well against the Dogs and also last night. Different games require different strategies. Ballin's work in the ruck defense is vital. Le Snak is okay defending but certainly puts the bigger forwards in two minds when he comes on. Well done Des for adapting to the situation.

just got back from canberra.

What an awsome feeling last night. There was a good turn out of manly fans and they were all in loud voice afterwards. The bus trip back to town was non stop manly chants. Farken awsome.

The guys looked in control all night, Ox certainly had them working well and his kicking game was the key. 1 bad kick all night - the rest were great.

Id like to add Glen Stewy to the list above, the other other white meat put his hand up all night and must have made plenty of yards.

Stewy was a big quiet in attack but he was almost ridge like in defence, had to be to get the players to cover the overlaps.

Perry was immense last night. They kept talking Kite up for Origin but he was fairly quiet compared to Perry (I'm guessing that injury he picked up had quite a bit to do with this). He had several damaging runs and did well to get the offload away for Watmough's try.

Matai was awesome in attack, but still rushed up when he didn't need to. The play where he dived on the ball after the Raiders dropped it, I could actually see him staying back on that play and it ended up paying off.

Beaver - what a legend. On the Colin best try, with his footwork and movement he covered three different players very easily during that play. Unfortunately Lyon rushed in which made it a lot tougher for Williams.

Overall, great effort. Big test against the Roosters this week.

I thought it was an awesome game with a good presence of Manly supporters. I took the walk up to Canberra Stadium with my 2 eldest sons and had a great time giving it to the Raiders Supporters. We were down the other end from the scoreboard but could hear the Manly gaggle from the other end. We had the young Manly players sitting near us and there was not 1 complaint on their behaviour - well done!
Might I add that I am just thawing out now - it was a bloody cold night but it will only get colder down here. Luckily Manly played now and not further into Winter......
I thought Perry had a blinder and Cuthbo's send off was helped by the crowd and the ground announcer!

I can't remember what he exactly said but it got the crowd going for the old "off off off" chant! He also put his 2 cents in the Eagles no try calls and the dubious Raiders try. It helps to have the crowd on side as it makes the 50:50 calls go your way!
Mind you, it makes wearing the Manly jersey around Canberra that little more sweet.......

Lets not get caried away by a win against a very sub standard team.  The raiders wouldn't have beaten us even if we played with 10 men they were that bad. 

Their defence was ordinary and they had no attack at all.  Carney must be wondering why he stayed.

Tookey there are a lot of teams that go down to canberra and lose.  Anytine you walk away from a STRONG home ground advantage is a bonus

I thought it showed courage and guts, just as the Parra game did. In a 29 week season you can't sustain top form every week and all teams have their good and off days. What is good is that we showed tenacity, ticker and managed to get over the line when 20 mins to go everything said that they would win. There would have been excuses but instead of lying down we sucked it in and gave it back. Credit where credit is due methinks.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6