1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This worries me

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by nita, Mar 7, 2010.

1. nita

nita Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Was reading the 2010 sun herald footy guide.. In the manly section, killer is asked about his goal and he says "winning another premiership would be great *laughs* but it'd be hard to top 2008." in the team goal section he says "we haven't spoken too much about goals this year, we've just been focused on getting ourselves right. But obviously the top 8 is our first step and pretty much get better from there."

maybe I'm reading too much into these small quotes, but I'm worried that the hunger for greatness isn't there at all. Something that made 2008 so sucessful i think was the fact that they set goals at the start of the year, and all year they were really vocal and passionate about achieving them.

The quotes coming from the boys seem this year (not just these ones, others too) sound so underwhelming. Maybe Des is just teling them to keep their traps shut?

Either way.. I'm scared.

2. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I wouldn't take to much notice of quotes in the media, they are either made up, misquoted or taken out of context just to sensationalise the situation.

These guys are professional sportsmen, so it must be hard to get yourself up year after year, that's why the mental aspect of a teams performance is so hard to quantify. However I assume that much like any person who plays sport at any level, winning is the whole purpose of playing in the first place, otherwise why bother.

3. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,802 / 122
    Des will be very pleased with your reaction. We are very little chance this year ;)

4. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    I see that gibbering Ranga in the Herald comments that Watmough is grumpy about missing the captaincy?  What fanciful poppycock - he's just re-signed for another 4 years, he must be really cut hey?

Half the Ranga's page was taken up with not too subtle urging to allow SBW to return.  I reckon the Bulldogs should stick to their guns, or else any and every player will just do as they please.  Let SBW go an experience the pain of losing a World Cup on home soil next year.

5. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    There are two comps every year. You get to make the first 8 which is the first goal. The next and real comp is the plan to be the best of the 8 teams still alive and make an impact. Look at the Dragons - front runners all year but did nothing in September. Parra were the opposite and did nothing for most of the season but were playing well when it counted and with some luck could have won. I would be happy to be average all year and then turn it on in the Semis!!! Comps are not won in May.

6. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Thanks Captain.  Don't worry to much Nita about what's printed in the papers.  The papers re full of the Tiggers, Souffs and Parramatta winning this year and you'd think those were the only three teams in the comp.  Pressure like that does nothing for a teams performance.  I noticed in today's paper that two experts had Cronulla making the eight.  The papers are full of ****e and I like the fact that we are well out of the headlines and well and truly under the radar, silly quotes aside.  I agree with Captain though, we'll make the eight and go on from there, and take the silverware.         

7. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Who on earth tipped Cronulla to make the semis?

8. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I've thrown the papers out, but there were two of them. 

9. PONTIAN SEA EAGLE

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +948 / 80
    Get the defence in intact & we'll be competitive.

10. Daddycool

Daddycool Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +283 / 2
    There's nothing to worry about, that's just his laid back style. He's never been one to make big statements.

I think a trouble free year off the field and a fit Brett Stewart adds up to a quietly confident group of guys, over at Narrabeen.

11. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
      I don't think making our defense polite is a good idea.

12. eagles2win

eagles2win Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 0
    Rothfield of course was one

13. nita

nita Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Des will be very pleased with your reaction. We are very little chance this year ;)
    [/quote]

Ohhhh I get it.. Good one Des  8) I trust you..

14. PONTIAN SEA EAGLE

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +948 / 80
    [/quote]
    What????

15. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,906 / 27
    [/quote]
    What????
    [/quote]
    Intact and tactful/ polite.