This judicery is an OUTRAGE!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think the problem is that the NRL have had medical advice that states shoulder charges are a dangerous, high risk "tackling" method. To ignore that advice would make them liable should anything go wrong. By allowing that tackling technique you are accepting the risk and therefore condoning any potentially bad outcomes.

Let's face it, the whole idea of a shoulder charge is to cause maximum damage or intimidation. It's not what you would call a high percentage defensive play in terms of KPI in stopping the runner or the offload. Invariably the most successful ones are where the recipient is "blind sided" and not braced for contact, or they are out and out cheap shots like Inglis put on Dean Young (players back turned held by another defender).

I can see why the NRL wants to ban them, they are just too risky in terms of potentially bad outcomes because there is very little control by the tackler. If they were all like the Evans v Kasiano version then fine, there would be a place for them in the game. The fact however is that they are not all like that and are too much of a liability for the administrators to carry. Much the same reason any contact with the head is outlawed, or would people rather we go back to the good old days when no forward had a straight nose and all their own teeth ??

If Evens' hit on Kasiano is the way forward and shoulder charges that don't make contact with the head is the way to go, then I am all for it. I never agreed with its banning in the first place and thought it was nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to Inglis laying out Dean Young.

However, I still question this because of how many players have been suspended for exactly what Evens did. Why all of a sudden is it being let go?

Here you go - 2 weeks ago, the very same tackle earnt Sandow 2 weeks
In fact, his size meant that the shoulder dug into the diaphragm and not the heart area like Evans' hit on Kasiano.
upload_2015-8-4_14-46-16.png

upload_2015-8-4_17-23-54.png

Last edited:
Massive differences in the tackles being that Morris does not have the ball, nor is he looking at the defender

Kasiano had the ball, and picked his man out and ran straight at him

Massive differences in the tackles being that Morris does not have the ball, nor is he looking at the defender

Kasiano had the ball, and picked his man out and ran straight at him
http://www.nrl.com/laws-of-the-game-shoulder-charge/tabid/10874/newsid/71024/default.aspx
Shoulder Charge

Is where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact using the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side).

It will be considered misconduct, if any player affects a tackle in the manner as defined.

The indicators will include:

1. Rotation of the defenders hips and shoulders

2. Defender has ‘tucked’ his arm into his body.

Doesn't matter what the attacker is doing - the bent arm now means no tackle, straight shoulder charge attempt

Not debating what a shoulder charge is, we all know what constitutes one, just can't agree that that picture you have above is exactly the same tackle as the one last Friday night, the factors i mentioned make it a hell of a lot different for me

The debate is whether shoulder charges should be suspended if no contact is made with the head, I'm on the no they shouldn't side of the fence on that one

However have just been watching Matty Johns show from last night and they said point of contact with the shoulder, and then the whiplash effect will determine whether it is a suspension or not. That is absolute idiocy for me, the whiplash side of it is pure luck and should not be a determining factor in this imo and they are setting themselves up for a fall by stating that. The simpler way to do things would be contact with head = gone, contact below head = penalty sufficient

Geez, if whiplash is going to determine suspensions then just about everyone who tackles Thirdman Thaiday will end up suspended. His head gets whiplash in every tackle.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2