This is so sad and pathetic

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Out of hibernation, Bears launch golden bid for Central Coast inclusion
Brad Walter | December 5, 2008

North Sydney Bears have launched a new campaign to rejoin the NRL as a Central Coast side and yesterday stepped up their campaign for inclusion in the 2011 premiership when chief executive Greg Florimo met Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle.

Florimo and the chairman of the recently formed Central Coast Bears bid committee, Perry Lopez, flew to the Gold Coast for an all-day discussion with Searle about how the Titans had succeeded in gaining entry to the NRL for the 2007 season. Florimo said they now planned to have a meeting with NRL chief executive David Gallop before the end of the year.

"We're serious about this," Florimo said. "We've been nine years in the reserve grade competition and we've managed to keep the club alive so we're fine with that but we've obviously always had the thought that we would get back into the NRL one day. We've got a bid committee together that is still in formation at the moment but one of the key elements, we think, in putting together a comprehensive bid is to find out exactly what the Titans did right and try to emulate that."

While the bid is being driven by Norths, Florimo said the NRL's proposed 17th team would belong to the Central Coast. The Bears were in the process of moving to Gosford in 1999 but went broke waiting for the new $30 million stadium to be completed and were forced into an ill-fated Northern Eagles joint venture with bitter rivals Manly.

Florimo said fans would not accept a cash-strapped Sydney club relocating to the Central Coast to ensure its survival but support for the Bears was well established after more than a decade of involvement in the area.

"To have a club come up here on the bones of their arse and as a reaction to some poor business dealings is not going to be accepted by the people of the Central Coast," he said. "For this to be successful it needs to be defined as a Central Coast team.

"We think there's enough money on the Central Coast to sustain a team as long as everyone gets behind it. When the Gold Coast got in, there was no invitation for applications, they just got a groundswell of community support behind them and forced the issue. We're taking a similar tack, and hopefully the NRL will see the value of it."

The Central Coast Bears, with the financial backing of multi-millionaire businessman John Singleton, were one of three consortiums seeking for entry in 2004 but after the NRL deferred a decision, the Bears and the Wellington Orcas withdrew their bids. The Titans were given the green light the following year to enter the 2007 premiership after securing government funding for Skilled Park.

The Bears do not have such a hurdle to overcome after being behind the construction of Central Coast Stadium before they were forced out of the NRL at the end of the 1999 season.

Florimo said the addition of new teams before the expiry of the current television contract in 2012 would give the NRL greater bargaining power to negotiate an increased deal.

"We just see a bit of an opportunity at the moment considering the NRL broadcasting rights are up for renewal in the next few years, and we figure that it would be great to have a truly national game and as many potential pay-TV customers as possible so, with that in mind, we figured we would have another shot," he said.

Aside from Searle, the Bears have received support from South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson and St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett, who said the demise of Norths was a disappointing outcome of the Super League war.

"But I was pleased to see recently they want to put the Bears back in Gosford as the Central Coast Bears. I think that'd be a great concept, and I hope they can pull it off one day," Bennett told The Illawarra Mercury.

Richardson, who negotiated a deal two years ago for Norths to be the Rabbitohs' feeder team, said: "They've been hanging in there and have never given up hope of getting back in to the NRL so it would be good to see them succeed."

Haha i just read this on the news website and when i saw the topic of this thread i knew what it was going to be about  :p

Before we know it we'll be back to 20 teams just like in 1995 when it was decided we needed 12 teams with one of those playing out of Beijing.

Actually the Beijing Bears has a nice ring to it.  With a pool of 1.5billion people maybe they could find enough people that care about the Bears to fit into a phone booth.

Richardson is only supporting because he hopes if Norths go there then Souths cant - dead set when will this bunch of losing morons lay back and die instead of constantly makign fools of themselves

I wondered why there would be any suggestion of credibility with Souths supporting the application?  Perhaps Souths are hoping to have another dead beat side to compete for the wooden spoon with on a perrenial basis.

eggson link said:
Haha i just read this on the news website and when i saw the topic of this thread i knew what it was going to be about  :p
Same here. I had just copied the story to post here but Mata saved me the bother!!!

If norths come back into the comp then they need to play out of bear park not at  deliverence park with banjos playing continally in the background.  

They have to be called the North sydney bears not central coast/blacktown by the sea bears.  

The central coast needs their own team not one associated with the bears. 

I think the idea has merit. I would dump Soufs and put the CC Bears in instead. The crowd numbers would be higher immediately and I don't doubt that it would become a strong franchise there.

Any expansion should be just that, expansion.  Not just up the freeway.  Bennett's a tool.  The demise of the Western Reds and Adelaide was more disappointing than the demise of this flea bag outfit.  Anyway the Central coast area is made up of granma's and grandpa's who sold their terraces in the inner city to the upwardly mobile and went up there hoping for Nirvana.  Their kids now populate that desperate region.  South Sydney supporters all.     

CC does need a team though and I can see for any team to succeed there, they have to be a new venture not a move of a sydney team

I would like to see the Jets back in the comp too though, at least they could compete and win a few games

I don't see the demise of the Western Reds and Adelaide Rams as disappointing. Like Melbourne, there will never be enough support for teams in those centres to sustain a team long term. If you need to prop up a team in Melbourne to the tune of over 5 million, how can Perth and Adelaide that are not League towns ever hope to do so.

The global vision for Rugby League was a giant lie and will never come to pass. Better to focus on developing the game in areas where it has some hope, like country NSW, where Super League took away the focus and allowed the game to wither on the vine.

If a bid is not in Murdoch's best interests, does it have a snowball's chance? At least Florimo has identified the key question to focus on.

The current Bears side are a bit of a falacy in that they whore themelves around to whichever 1st grade team will have them....it's sad really. I remember seeing Billy Slater torn apart playing fullback for The Bears against Manly - it was a beautiful site to see.

I'd like to see them back on The Coast for the good of the game, and for the good of their desperate fans that have stayed true to their cause.

In all honesty, I think it's pretty sad that a club that has had so much history has now resorted to this. Some people on the boards are very narrow minded in that they ostracize Bears supporters for just being Bears supporters, but don't consider what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot, and they were copping it.

I actually think The Bears will be looking for inclusion in 2010. I also think they will make a big bid at getting Matt Orford to kit up for them, and I don't think for one minute he hasn't been approached already about the prospect.

I would hate to see The Ox playing for those filthy scum. Some pundants are suggesting Mitchell Pearce is headed our way around then. I reckon he's an over-rated hack. Re-sign the Ox now for another 3 years IMO.

There is no reason any new side in the comp cant prosper, especially in a heartland like the CC. I dont really think they would be as bad as the team of old, but I would love to see the old rivalry back in the game, it would just be awesome

Ryan link said:
The current Bears side are a bit of a falacy in that they whore themelves around to whichever 1st grade team will have them....it's sad really. I remember seeing Billy Slater torn apart playing fullback for The Bears against Manly - it was a beautiful site to see.

I'd like to see them back on The Coast for the good of the game, and for the good of their desperate fans that have stayed true to their cause.

In all honesty, I think it's pretty sad that a club that has had so much history has now resorted to this. Some people on the boards are very narrow minded in that they ostracize Bears supporters for just being Bears supporters, but don't consider what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot, and they were copping it.

I actually think The Bears will be looking for inclusion in 2010. I also think they will make a big bid at getting Matt Orford to kit up for them, and I don't think for one minute he hasn't been approached already about the prospect.

I would hate to see The Ox playing for those filthy scum. Some pundants are suggesting Mitchell Pearce is headed our way around then. I reckon he's an over-rated hack. Re-sign the Ox now for another 3 years IMO. [quote author=Ryan link=topic=178965.msg203968#msg203968 date=1228439604]

I would hate to see The Ox playing for those filthy scum. Some pundants are suggesting Mitchell Pearce is headed our way around then. I reckon he's an over-rated hack. Re-sign the Ox now for another 3 years IMO.

I'm not a fan of Mitchell Pearce. And as for Manly chasing him then if that's true then why did we sign Trent Hodgkinson from the Eels for ? I remember reading an article how the club said they wanted to keep Orford.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6