Thinking Positively - is a load of bollocks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bazeagle

Bencher
So here's the thing.
Multiple posters here always complain and whinge on big time about so called negative posters.
Nowhere is the link between so called "positive" thinking and WINNING proven.
And the reality is so called "negative thinking" can actually be HONESTY.
Here's an example: if Keiran Foran was thinking "positively" maybe he may have not been slammed 4 times by Tagatese last night.
Bollocks eh. See what I mean?

So let the negative/HONEST posts flow big time.

Yeh good post. Those that are on here are die hard and want nothing but for manly to do well ! Being negative and saying a player has had a poor game is nothing but the truth, it may be negative but you cant sugar coat the facts or reality that a player had a shocker. To honestly go on and say trex was great lastnight you may hurt his feelings gets me thinking that some people must live in fairy land, like half the posters on facebook, they have no idea ! Negativity is being realistic.

Thinking positively is about getting up and getting the **** on with it.

bazeagle said:
So here's the thing.
Multiple posters here always complain and whinge on big time about so called negative posters.
Nowhere is the link between so called "positive" thinking and WINNING proven.
And the reality is so called "negative thinking" can actually be HONESTY.
Here's an example: if Keiran Foran was thinking "positively" maybe he may have not been slammed 4 times by Tagatese last night.
Bollocks eh. See what I mean?

So let the negative/HONEST posts flow big time.

I always think of 2008 when a number of regular posters on the old mwse site complained about this and that all season long, only for it to turn out to be one of our greatest seasons ever. And these poor sods had spent most of it unhappy.

Aside from that I find nothing wrong with negative posting, go for your life. I tend to look on the bright side, heaven only knows why :)

I used to believe back in the seventies when I just started high school that if i went to Church that Manly would be blessed and win. It was as if I had some influence over my team by my (what I thought) positive action and thoughts. This sort of superstition carried on in life and I either thought God would be for me or against me; for Manly or against Manly, etc, by what I did and thought. Later on in life I realised this was all a superstition and I had no influence at all over how Manly did on the weekend. I could be as positive or as negative as I liked and it would not influence the outcome one iota.

Now, if i was the coach and had direct contact with the players... this would have a direct influence. If I was a player and I was reading the forums and all the news articles about myself... this would definitely influence my state of mind. If I was a poster who saw the game differently to others, I would react to others positive or negative posts, especially if the other poster had a track record of being 'honest'.

Positive thinking won't help Keiran Foran from being slammed. It will help him get back up and go for it again. If he was negative, he may just become fearful, and never put himself in a position to be slammed again. But him getting back up is a positive, and him putting his body on the line (again and again) is positive, and all us fans feel quite positive because of his guts and attitude.

These are rambling thoughts...

Couldn't agree more.

We either get people drawing a line through us after one round, or others saying it is a travesty to say anything critical of anyone who has ever worn the maroon and white.

The point of this place is to call it like it is.

The Gronk said:
Couldn't agree more.

We either get people drawing a line through us after one round, or others saying it is a travesty to say anything critical of anyone who has ever worn the maroon and white.

The point of this place is to call it like it is.

Thats it The Gronk. Spot on 100%. Say it like it is.

Are you arguing for the merits of thinking negatively?

Thinking negatively is nothing but thinking in fear. Thinking negatively is just a pattern in the mind. The negative mind can find the negative in pretty much anything and everything. So it doesn't matter what happens, the negative mind will zoom in on the negative, like a heat seeking missile.

When the mind thinks negatively stress hormones are released. These stress hormones interfere with clear thinking, and with capabilities generally. Everything shuts down with the exception of what's needed to deal with the perceived threat.

Thinking which is labelled positive thinking can also be thinking in fear. This type of "positive thinking" is not positive thinking at all. It is negative thinking in sheep's clothing.

The key indicator of thinking negatively is whether you're activated or not. If you feel disturbed when you write about T-Rex or someone else then you're activated by fear.

A feature of undisturbed, clear thinking is lack of activation. If you're undisturbed, you don't mind, there's no inner body tensions.

So if real honesty is the aim, it needs to start with honest awareness of whether our thoughts are fear-activated.

captainskin said:
I used to believe back in the seventies when I just started high school that if i went to Church that Manly would be blessed and win. It was as if I had some influence over my team by my (what I thought) positive action and thoughts. This sort of superstition carried on in life and I either thought God would be for me or against me; for Manly or against Manly, etc, by what I did and thought. Later on in life I realised this was all a superstition and I had no influence at all over how Manly did on the weekend. I could be as positive or as negative as I liked and it would not influence the outcome one iota.

Now, if i was the coach and had direct contact with the players... this would have a direct influence. If I was a player and I was reading the forums and all the news articles about myself... this would definitely influence my state of mind. If I was a poster who saw the game differently to others, I would react to others positive or negative posts, especially if the other poster had a track record of being 'honest'.

Positive thinking won't help Keiran Foran from being slammed. It will help him get back up and go for it again. If he was negative, he may just become fearful, and never put himself in a position to be slammed again. But him getting back up is a positive, and him putting his body on the line (again and again) is positive, and all us fans feel quite positive because of his guts and attitude.

In 2009 i had a silly superstition,on thursday nights i bowled a league and would alternate the wrong jersey for the upcoming weekend

When i won,we won,when i lost....well that happened way to many times

Rex said:
Are you arguing for the merits of thinking negatively?

Thinking negatively is nothing but thinking in fear. Thinking negatively is just a pattern in the mind. The negative mind can find the negative in pretty much anything and everything. So it doesn't matter what happens, the negative mind will zoom in on the negative, like a heat seeking missile.

When the mind thinks negatively stress hormones are released. These stress hormones interfere with clear thinking, and with capabilities generally. Everything shuts down with the exception of what's needed to deal with the perceived threat.

Thinking which is labelled positive thinking can also be thinking in fear. This type of "positive thinking" is not positive thinking at all. It is negative thinking in sheep's clothing.

The key indicator of thinking negatively is whether you're activated or not. If you feel disturbed when you write about T-Rex or someone else then you're activated by fear.

A feature of undisturbed, clear thinking is lack of activation. If you're you're undisturbed, you don't mind, there's no inner body tensions.

So if real honesty is the aim, it needs to start with honest awareness of whether our thoughts are fear-activated.
Wow Rex. Heavy duty. I'm saying two things: positive thinking supposedly makes us feel more optimistic and in turn makes happy outcomes more likely. I say bollocks to that. So if you take the opposite of positive (negative) then the reverse may be true. I say posters here and popular beliefs suggest that if we adopt a negative mindset we could get unhappy outcomes. I say bollocks. tell it like it is. Slam players if they don't perform or deliver.

captainskin said:

Classic post. Great insight. Superstition is the close pal of positive thinking.

If you go into work thinking you are going to have a **** day then you are going to have a **** day.

No one likes a whining twats full of doom & gloom. We all go there sometimes but you gotta crawl out of the hole otherwise you stew in your own sewage.

Face it - we aren't going to win every match.

Tony Williams plays for us & there isn't a thing you can do about it.

Turn off the Leonard Cohen & enjoy life - Lifes too short for too much negativity.

:)

bazeagle said:
Wow Rex. Heavy duty. I'm saying two things: positive thinking supposedly makes us feel more optimistic and in turn makes happy outcomes more likely. I say bollocks to that. So if you take the opposite of positive (negative) then the reverse may be true. I say posters here and popular beliefs suggest that if we adopt a negative mindset we could get unhappy outcomes. I say bollocks. tell it like it is. Slam players if they don't perform or deliver.

Superstition is the close pal of positive thinking.

Yeah Baz.

Have you heard of the scientific experiments where they got two groups to shoot baskets. Then the first group practiced regularly and improved their shooting significantly. The second group didn't practice at all. Instead they were asked to simply imagine successfully shooting the ball in the hoop. When tested, the second group improved at the same significant rate as the first. How did that happen?

Like it or not, the very first player Dessie would drop from his team is the player who does not have a positive attitude. If you assume an NRL player has a negative attitude, then first of all challenge your assumptions. Most likely you're way off base, however it seems.

If putting on the left boot before the right helps a player to imagine success, then that superstition may actually be quite functional and even encouraged. Scientific experiments continually show the placebo effect in healing physical and psychological issues is highly significant. Placebo - that's superstition - that's not real - right?

The mind is a target-seeking missile. Imagine the worst and that's what you'll tend to get. Just like programming a computer.

We're third and there's 13 other teams who wish they were in our position. Sounds pretty positive to me.

So i'd be thinking positive by saying saints will cop burnout with 5 rounds left,storm will be in a slump,injuries to the broncs & manly will win the comp.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
So i'd be thinking positive by saying saints will cop burnout with 5 rounds left,storm will be in a slump,injuries to the broncs & manly will win the comp.

If you believe you have control over outcomes, then there are two choices:
1. Be unhappy
2. Be happy

If you believe you have no control over outcomes, then there are two choices:
1. Be unhappy
2. Be happy

See SER8's posting above.

1. Half a glass of water, what a problem

2. Half a glass of water, where might this lead?

Who discovers the favourable outcomes, the whinger, or the opportunist? Who is in pain? Who is painful to be around? Who would you want on your team? Who do you choose to be?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6