The two best coaches

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Bellamy and Flanagan have their teams in the grand final and I rate them as the two best coaches at the moment. They have both turned ordinary players into genuine 1st graders, they both can change their style and game plans according who they play.

Most of the teams including us seemed one dimensional or varied very little.

Canberra, Penrith and Tigers game plan was to throw the ball around and played some ad lib but other than that it was all about completions and hit the ball up for 5 tackles then kick and hope the opposition make a mistake in their own half.

Even though I can't stand Bellamy he, in my opinion, and Flanagan can get the best out of their players consistently.

Would have to agree, and further go past that with Bellamy being the best coach of all time as much as we hate to admit it. He is better than Bennett who for most of his career had a monopoly of qld state of origin players in his team.
Put the salary cap drama aside he still needed to get that team firing and he's been so consistently good even long after it. He turns nobodies into a great team who all know their job.

yes Bellamy has the big 3 (now 2 with Slater out and used to be 4 with Inglis), but it's the players he brings in that just click into place and do the job which shows how important structure is as a coach.

A lot of just average footballers have gone there and played the best footy of their careers

It's also the recruitment of the storm. Unknown future stars. That's what we need to find. Anyone can find superannuation players.

We will be able to see it first hand with the signing of Green and see if his good form continues. I know he'll need 4 to 6 games to gel.

It's also the recruitment of the storm. Unknown future stars. That's what we need to find. Anyone can find superannuation players.
He also has had a player who is widely regarded as one of, if not the, best of all time. And that player's chief strength is not brilliant running or smashing defence, it is smarts and organising ability. We'll need to see how Bellamy goes without his puppet master before making a final judgment of his coaching.
have both turned ordinary players into genuine 1st graders
Bellamy yes, Flanagan - not really, but he has bought well.

The test for Bellamy will be after Smith and Cronk retire. He is obviously a good coach but the Smith and Cronk factor can't be over looked. They are once in a generation players. The influence those 2 have over other players and the control they have over a game are massive. They are like programmed robots on a mission.

He also has had a player who is widely regarded as one of, if not the, best of all time. And that player's chief strength is not brilliant running or smashing defence, it is smarts and organising ability. We'll need to see how Bellamy goes without his puppet master before making a final judgment of his coaching.

Agree 110%, Bellamy has had , the big 4, the big 3, and maybe now the big 2 with an outstanding number 1 in the making ( who will play 5/8 next year if Billy gets a swansong).

But when his big 2 are gone , arguably the best two
Game Managers in the league , let's see how he's going then!!

Also Sharks were nothing until they recruited two known performers , Ennis / Maloney.

This has to be the year they do it otherwise they'll be consigned to failure as this team is broken up.

But I agree Bellamy is up there, he does have the knack of turning average players ( Blair is a good example) paid not much money into part of the " machine ", doing exactly what's needed without being to flash but doing it well.

Bit of stretch with Shane Flanagan...any other club would have sacked him years ago because the Sharks have had some very hit and miss seasons under him and he also oversaw the supplements program.

I think he is probably a decent coach but not in the same league as Bellamy. I also think Hasler is still a very good coach but the Dogs are not a great fit for him.

Yes they have a great spine but they also have an abundance of talented forwards, plenty of depth and without the go forward the halves can't weave their stuff.

Cheyse Blair is playing his best football consistently all year and has landed another 2 year deal with them whereas he could barely get a crack in the top grade at a few clubs. Brian Norrie was another he picked up after he retired and played a further two years with them.

I don't think it's coincidence.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Cam Smith is the best player of his generation by a long shot. Since he debuted in '03 (I think) he has played over 20 games a season, every season. If you look at the way he dicates the speed of the game, the consistent right decisions he makes under pressure, the quality of ball he gives to his forwards (who never have to second guess their runs as the ball hits them on the chest at speed) his rock solid defence.. Such a good player that I cannot wait until he retires. That's when NSW will start winning series again.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2