The truth behind Mad Max Delmege

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
The truth behind Mad Max Delmege

By Dean Ritchie | February 25, 2009
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25102740-14823,00.html

ANGRY Manly chairman Scott Penn last night claimed to be the victim of a "sabotage and a smear campaign" from fellow owner Max Delmege as a Daily Telegraph investigation revealed the colourful property developer had back-flipped on almost 10 issues in the war ripping the club apart.

The drama has been reignited with Penn vehemently denying Delmege's claim on Channel Nine News that he wanted to relocate to the Central Coast.

The Daily Telegraph obtained Manly's constitution which states the club cannot "play less than 10 home games at Brookvale Oval or another ground in the Manly Warringah district or change the name of the football team from the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles".

Delmege has made a series of provocative claims in recent times that cannot be substantiated and are bordering on fairytales rather than fact.

The divide between the two owners has never been wider with sources suggesting they could never work together again.

The Daily Telegraph has found seven instances where Delmege could either not back up his comments, or has changed his mind on them.
see next post

Penn has clearly had enough and went on the attack in an explosive interview from Leeds, where his side is preparing for the World Club Challenge.

"We are bitterly disappointed that Max is running a smear campaign against us," Penn said.

"He is trying to make the Manly members think we don't have the best of interests of the club at heart. Nothing could be further from the truth.

"It seems they are trying to sabotage us. I just can't understand why Max would be misleading our fans.

"What is his motivation? Why is he doing it? If they get rid of us, who is going to come in?"

Penn once and for all laid to rest talk he wants to relocate Manly to Gosford.

"We have no plans for the Central Coast. We can't. It says so in the constitution," Penn said.

"We have said a number of times on the record that we don't want to go to the Central Coast.

"We have worked diligently to get Brookvale Oval revamped and we (the Penn family) are spending $15 million redeveloping Manly Leagues Club.

"Why would we contemplate going to Gosford when we are putting all our eggs in the Northern Beaches basket?

"The constitution states to relocate you would need 100 per cent of votes. That will never happen."

Delmege fired back last night at Penn's accusations.

"There's no smear campaign. I would never do that," Delmege said. "He (Penn) admitted to a couple of people that the Central Coast was in their plans. Ken Arthurson was one of them.

"I have always been honest and told the truth.

"It was the Penns who fired the first bullet. It was totally embarrassing and it has affected my business. Scott Penn couldn't guarantee's Manly future. I can.

"I don't want trouble. I want peace. I am worried for the fans and the players."

Arthurson has spoken to Penn about talk of moving Manly.

"He has assured me the club won't be relocating anywhere," Arthurson said.

Delmege has been accused of saying Hasler would be coach for "22 years" before the coach was only offered a one-year extension which included key performance indicators.

"Des will know when it's time to leave. He is there for as long as he wants to be," Delmege said last night.

Asked then about why he publicly backed Grant Mayer before the CEO was not offered a new deal, Delmege said: "He did have my full support until Scott threw down his resignation at the meeting."

The Manly football club board will issue a two-page letter to members calling for calm as the club's problems continue.

The letter comes after The Daily Telegraph revealed angry fans wanted to call an extraordinary general meeting to discuss with directors the current issues.

Members should receive the letter within 24 hours.

There are behind-the-scenes moves to have Mayer returned as CEO for next season.

Asked about his threat to sack Manly media manager Peter Peters, Delmege said: "I would be happy to sit down and have a chat. I don't want him going out on a bad note."

What Max said: CEO Grant Mayer had his full
support before February 12’s board meeting. (2KY
Big Sports Breakfast).
The reality: Delmege was part of a 5-2 vote not
to extend Mayer’s contract.

What Max said: Co-owner and chairman Scott
Penn wants to take Manly to the Central Coast
(Channel Nine).
The reality: Penn vehemently denies this, with
the club’s constitution showing Manly will
forever be at Brookvale.

What Max said: Tells fans he has
tipped $15 million into Manly.
(The Sunday Telegraph)
The reality: According to the
club’s share register, obtained by
The Daily Telegraph, Delmege has
given $3.9 million. The rest of his
input has been through sponsorship
which has a huge commercial return.

What Max said: Coach Des Hasler has a job
“for 22 years” if he desires. (Channel Nine)
The reality: Hasler was offered just a oneyear
extension which included Key Performance
Indicators when he sought a longer deal.

What Max said: He was involved in a $15
million joint venture partnership with the Penns
to redevelop Manly Leagues Club. (Manly Daily)
The reality: Plan ratified by members in July
last year but fell over when Delmege failed to pay.

What Max said: Initially claimed he owed the
club nothing (Daily Telegraph)
The reality: Ended up paying a debt of
$228,400 just days after The Daily Telegraph
broke the story.

What Max said: He would not interfere and
was happy to “take a back seat” in the running of
the club. (Daily Telegraph)
The reality: Has made many significant
decisions and continues to sit in the front seat.

What Max said: He wanted Manly official Peter
Peters sacked. (Daily Telegraph)
The reality: Demege said yesterday he would
now sit down and talk with Peters and didn’t want
the media manager to leave “on a bad note.”

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/images/maxartv2.pdf

Ho hum, haven't we all been down this road before?  A question to Dan; can I post the same topic endlessly on this blog?

DSM5, All the article is saying is that Max is not as squeaky clean as he is trying to present. Last week he was on the defence and this week he is on the attack. All that glistens is not gold!!!!

This article makes a joke of the League Chairman's letter too. If there is no way that anyone can move Manly to Gosford, and Penn is not involved, who are the mysterious people that the Football club are up against.

It makes a mockery of that letter and would suggest a scare campaign from them as well.

When will this all end??

jeez that article was very pro-penn. There were a few straws being clutched at too, but overall it does show some pretty big holes in some of the stories

Canteen Worker link said:
When will this all end??
Here's an idea.

When people stop pouring the fuel of their beliefs on the fire, believing it is water that will save the situation, then the fire might have a chance to run its natural course.

Experts love taking sides and judging and defaming based on tiny snippets of "information" and supposed "facts".  Why would the Telegraph present a biased, inflammatory view?  One moment ready to say Penn is the disloyal evil of Manly, the next Delmege.  What's in it for them?  Who's happy to take a non-expert position here?

With Dan and Canteen leaning one way, I'm just providing the counter weight.  And as always I believe what's written in the Telegraph, always..... 

DSM5 link said:
With Dan and Canteen leaning one way, I'm just providing the counter weight.  And as always I believe what's written in the Telegraph, always.....  

You'll note in my comment above I was more neutral and leaning away from what the Telegraph had written, the 7 issues mentioned, some are fair enough others lack real substance

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
What Max said: CEO Grant Mayer had his full
support before February 12’s board meeting. (2KY
Big Sports Breakfast).
The reality: Delmege was part of a 5-2 vote not
to extend Mayer’s contract.

What Max said: Co-owner and chairman Scott
Penn wants to take Manly to the Central Coast
(Channel Nine).
The reality: Penn vehemently denies this, with
the club’s constitution showing Manly will
forever be at Brookvale.

What Max said: Tells fans he has
tipped $15 million into Manly.
(The Sunday Telegraph)
The reality: According to the
club’s share register, obtained by
The Daily Telegraph, Delmege has
given $3.9 million. The rest of his
input has been through sponsorship
which has a huge commercial return.

What Max said: Coach Des Hasler has a job
“for 22 years” if he desires. (Channel Nine)
The reality: Hasler was offered just a oneyear
extension which included Key Performance
Indicators when he sought a longer deal.

What Max said: He was involved in a $15
million joint venture partnership with the Penns
to redevelop Manly Leagues Club. (Manly Daily)
The reality: Plan ratified by members in July
last year but fell over when Delmege failed to pay.

What Max said: Initially claimed he owed the
club nothing (Daily Telegraph)
The reality: Ended up paying a debt of
$228,400 just days after The Daily Telegraph
broke the story.

What Max said: He would not interfere and
was happy to “take a back seat” in the running of
the club. (Daily Telegraph)
The reality: Has made many significant
decisions and continues to sit in the front seat.

What Max said: He wanted Manly official Peter
Peters sacked. (Daily Telegraph)
The reality: Demege said yesterday he would
now sit down and talk with Peters and didn’t want
the media manager to leave “on a bad note.”

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/images/maxartv2.pdf

LOL That's pretty damning.  And those are only the lies that have been exposed at present. 

Makes you wonder how many other things Delmege has said are on the wrong side of truth. 

So now that its your side in the Terror the paper is credible and shuold be taken as gospel

One feels the only reason you do not tollerate mediocrity is because there is no room with all the hypocrisy.

Most of those points are just rubbish. This addendum to the main article is pure muck-raking and at the standard you would expect from that rag and shouldn't be used as any form of justification or vilification. I am delighted that Scott Penn has cleared some of the fans concerns but let's have some balance because you won't find it here.

ManlyBacker link said:
Most of those points are just rubbish. This addendum to the main article is pure muck-raking and at the standard you would expect from that rag and shouldn't be used as any form of justification or vilification. I am delighted that Scott Penn has cleared some of the fans concerns but let's have some balance because you won't find it here.
  The list is damning for mine.  It is muck raking of course, but the muck is all Max' own making.

It seems he contradicts himself everytime he opens his mouth to put lobster in it. 

Matabele link said:
The list is damning for mine.  It is muck raking of course, but ...
Here's the thing Matas.  You (and your mates) are so concreted into a position of the Penns being Gods and Delmeges demons that you would lose face to put any balance into what you say.

That's fair enough.  That's your perogative.  Just don't expect to be influential with anyone not similarly leaning to concrete themselves into your fixed blind beliefs.

If you are successful in your personal vendetta, you may just cause Delmege and his millions to flee Manly.  Then you'll pat yourself on the back saying how morally right you were.  And perhaps watch Manly disintegrate without this financial backstop.

That's a bit Over the top Rex.

We aren't exactly slinging mud here. I don't think either party is completely blameless, but I haven't seen any out and out lies from the Penn's yet, have you?

Rex link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179266.msg208278#msg208278 date=1235529872]
The list is damning for mine.  It is muck raking of course, but ...
Here's the thing Matas.  You (and your mates) are so concreted into a position of the Penns being Gods and Delmeges demons that you would lose face to put any balance into what you say.

That's fair enough.  That's your perogative.  Just don't expect to be influential with anyone not similarly leaning to concrete themselves into your fixed blind beliefs.

If you are successful in your personal vendetta, you may just cause Delmege and his millions to flee Manly.  Then you'll pat yourself on the back saying how morally right you were.  And perhaps watch Manly disintegrate without this financial backstop.
[/quote]

To be fair, what sources can you provide, and what facts do you have to back up your theory that these statements by Matabele are "fixed blind" comments?

He may be right, he may be wrong. Just because you disagree with him doesn't necessarily mean you are right.

For myself, I really don't care about Penn OR Delmege (whilst I respect what they have both done for the club). Why I CAN'T fathom, is how a CEO, who has bought us from cellar dwellers both on and off the park, to the boardroom both on and off the park, can be ditched?

Three major sponsors within 6 months - fact.
Premiership - fact.
A major improvement on the bottom line P&L - fact.
An affinity with a majority of fans - fact.
12 million in funding to be used on Brooky - fact.
1st lighting improvement (1 mill) invested for the 1st time in "years" - fact.
Memberships up - fact.
Average crowd numbers up - fact.
A change in coach to probably the best coach in the NRL - fact.
A "system" that players want to play for and with - fact.

DSM5 says I'm related to Mayer because I'm so complimentary of him - and I don't care. He can think what he likes. What I DO know is that if I owned a business, and my CEO had a wrap sheet like this, he'd be staying long term.

It almost sounds as though something behind the scenes (like a council election) may be putting ill feelings into Reilly's head which is driving his vote? If that is the case, Reilly should get out of his box, and look at the bigger picture.

What - do we want someone like Pat Wilson back in the chair? LoL. He couldn't sell a vibrator to Paris Hilton.

ManlyBacker link said:
I like what you say Ryan, but could you explain how Mayer brought Des in as coach? Des was appointed in 2004. :)

Ok - ya got me on that one mate ! But he DID renew the man right?

Gee Ryan, I didn't even think that one man could be responsible for all this goodness.  Thanks for putting me straight mate.  'He may be right, he may be wrong, I'd stick to that before going on the warpath touting Mayer as the new Messiah.  You could have added as well, he did father all our best players.  Give me a yart for the CC please. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6