The spirit of 1978

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
I ventured out to Allianz last night and witnessed a brutal match between 2 really committed teams.

the resiliance and courage that Manly showed against a fitter opponent reminded me of the brave 1978 Manly team that has been our most mentally tough team in our history.

This team has the opportunity to match this as they are in the middle of a similar era to our 70s team.

I fell in love with Manly all those years ago cause they never gave up and played such wonderful footy.

The names may have changed, Eadie to Stewart, Gibbs to DCE, Thompson to Foran, Krillich to Ballin, Randall to Choc, Stanton and now Toovey. The spirit lives on in the club and its why we are the envy of so many fans from other clubs.

Long may it contine

Go Manly 2013!!

Just watched the news showing our valient Players covered with ice packs :angel:

Foz will be on the Sunday Footy Show, he reckons that Manly love having their backs against the wall:)

BJ can't wait to win next week, then win the GF:)

DCE has a 'Manly Sea Eagles, Premiers' with the 2011 under it,on his right ribcage. He said that he designed it like that, so that he could add to it and 'hopefully it will be running down my leg!' :D
[attachment=653]
Choc gave Matai a big kiss too :angel:
The injuries are sure to heal quickly , with all the love and positivity :)

Manly a team above all, but above all - a Team :heart:
----------------------------------------------------
To remind us why Manly is a never die wondering Team :exclamation:
http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Sea-Eagles-charge-into-2013/67080

sheridanstand78 said:
I ventured out to Allianz last night and witnessed a brutal match between 2 really committed teams.

the resiliance and courage that Manly showed against a fitter opponent reminded me of the brave 1978 Manly team that has been our most mentally tough team in our history.

This team has the opportunity to match this as they are in the middle of a similar era to our 70s team.

I fell in love with Manly all those years ago cause they never gave up and played such wonderful footy.

The names may have changed, Eadie to Stewart, Gibbs to DCE, Thompson to Foran, Krillich to Ballin, Randall to Choc, Stanton and now Toovey. The spirit lives on in the club and its why we are the envy of so many fans from other clubs.

Long may it contine

Go Manly 2013!!

Damn I just teared up!!!

Love this current side but they have to do something extraordinary to match the 78 effort. Two midweek replays in a time when rugby league was basically legalised thuggery is a phenomenal effort that will never ever be matched.

Let's not forget that at this time of year every side is carrying injuries. Every game is brutal and there are no second chances. How you mentally deal with that defines how far into the finals you go. Luckily we have a team of very tough individuals who have above average ticker. They won't die wondering.

78 sets the benchmark with players refusing to allow their aches and pain to get in the way of winning a title

In 78 there was no interchange so the endurance asked for was enormous. The intensity is higher these days, with the speed of the games, the muscle power of players leading to higher impacts more often, etc. Very hard to imagine a side repeating the 78 effort of 2 mid-week replays these days.

I watched "The Fibros and the Silvertails" and the 78 GF and Replay during the week to set the mood for Friday. And didn't the players deliver. Fantastic stuff.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

The 1978 Manly team was toughest Football team of all time !!!
Six brutal finals games to win the premiership in just 24 days !!!
No interchange and no video ref's to witness any knees and elbows in the ferocious tackles .

1st Final Sharks 17 Manly 12
2, Manly 13 Eels 13
3. Manly 17 Eels 11
4. Manly 14 Wests 04
5. Manly 11 sharks 11
6. Manly 16 Sharks 00

MANLY-WARRINGAH: Graeme Eadie, Tom Mooney, Steve Knight, Russell Gartner, Simon Booth, Allan Thompson, Steve Martin, Ian Martin, Terry Randall, Bruce Walker, John Harvey, Max Kriliich (c), Ian Thomson. Res: Ray Branighan, Johnny Gibbs, Wayne Springall, John Gray.

The teams Manly defeated .

CRONULLA-SUTHERLAND: Mick Mullane, Rick Bourke, Chris Gardner, Steve Rogers, Steve Edmonds, Dennis Chamberlain, Steve Hansard, Greg Pierce (c), Eric Archer, Steve Kneen, Gary Stares, John McMartin, Paul Khan. Res: M.Raftery, B. Andrews, J.Glossop, R.Beckett.

WESTERN SUBURBS: John Dorahy, David Waite, Wayne Smith, Ron Giteau, Don Moseley, Peter Rowles, Tom Raudonikis (c), John O’Grady, Les Boyd, Foster, John Donnelly, Day, Cloughessy.

PARRAMATTA: Hey, Neville Glover, Mick Cronin, West, Graeme Atkins, John Peard, John Graham Murray, Ray Price (c), John Baker, Geoff Gerard, Graeme Olling, Ron Hilditch, Trevor Jay.

sheridanstand78 said:

That game was fluff compared to the previous week against the Roosters.

September 1978 was an amazing month.

I was just 11 years old but for a month I lived and breathed what the team was doing.

It started with our round 22 clash with the Roosters at the old sports ground. We had to win to secure 3rd spot and the chooks had to win to secure 5th. Manly beat the chooks 20-10 and in that game Wombat Eadie scored a try, collecting a bomb and running 100 meters to score. Great memories.

The semis started and we lost a game to the sharks who for once got the better ofr us.

Then 2 epic games against the whinging worms, in both games we were well behind with 20 minutes left and in both games found the courage to fight back and prevail. The replay was played on a Wednesday arvo, school holidays meant I could go with my family, there was a transport strike. 42K people trying to get to the SCG for the match.

The prelim final against Wests was another gutsy effort from a team backing up from the mid week replay. So brave were they that they destroyed Wests dream.

Now for the grand final and a chance to get revenge on the Sharks, the game was a dour affair typical of many games of that era. Again we came from behind and got infront only to be denied by a scrum penalty. Then missed field goals from both teams and it was a replay.

That Tuesday afternoon, Manly so inspired, so brave, so resolute won the replay by half time, Wombat Eadie grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and the broke the sharks spirit, the 2nd half was played in soggy conditions after a half time downfall making the result a formality and topped off by an Eadie field goal.

Manly had done the impossible and it forged a relationship with the fans that will never be broken. When I look back it gives me so much joy when I think of that time. Manly had won 4 premierships in 7 years. Our greatest era so far and now this vintage has the chance to repeat it all.

Manly were the most feared team back then and that winning culture remains today and this team has the same qualities.

Bozo, love your work ( Phantar here), but Eadie's first name is Graham - not Graeme. And it's Russel Gartner, not Russell. And Wests scored 7 points, not 4, in the Final.

Pedantic one out.

Cheers:)

Terry Zarsoff said:
Bozo, love your work ( Phantar here), but Eadie's first name is Graham - not Graeme. And it's Russel Gartner, not Russell. And Wests scored 7 points, not 4, in the Final.

Pedantic one out.

Cheers:)
Thanks mate . Good job :)

mike walker said:
g'day all,Anyone else remember Terry Randall's tackle on Dallas Donelly in the 78 final,off a penalty tap and absolutely smashed him.
cheers mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzvT1ZW7OO4
I loved Igor - 1:37 is the hit :heart:
If you could only have one forward, Terry Randall would be my pick :D

But I also remember the Steve Knight send off - 1:03 :p

Bring Back the Biff :exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:

Possibly the greatest forward in our great clubs history, one of, if not THE toughest men to ever play the game. Gee wasn't it a brutal game in those days ( think of the children ), I don't know how I ever managed to survive.

We have Roy Masters to thank for starting that conflict with Wests. I remember the game at Lidcombe in 1978 and it was one of the dirtiest id ever seen. Knocking them out in the prelim was karma and denied Masters a crack at a premiership.

The rivalry festered for the next 3 seasons till Masters buggered off to the dragqueens. A visit to Lidcombe was always fraught with danger back then. As I go by there now on the train, the hairs on the back of the neck still bristle.

HappilyManly said:
mike walker said:
g'day all,Anyone else remember Terry Randall's tackle on Dallas Donelly in the 78 final,off a penalty tap and absolutely smashed him.
cheers mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzvT1ZW7OO4
I loved Igor - 1:37 is the hit :heart:
If you could only have one forward, Terry Randall would be my pick :D

But I also remember the Steve Knight send off - 1:03 :p

Bring Back the Biff :exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:

I agree with you HappilyManly, Terry Randall is my all time favourite forward just edging out Menzies, Watmough and Reilly.

In my mind Randall was our talisman during that epic series. He was smashed, he was exhausted, but he was our enforcer, so he kept getting up and taking it to them. No matter who they happened to be on any given day of the week. The entire team played with incredible guts and belief, but I'm sure all the others took heart from Igor's never-say-die attitude.

That is Manly's legacy. Don't let anyone tell you today's players aren't aware of it, and inspired by it.

Worthy of making a movie out of this story.

There would be few better winning stories than this one.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4