The Salary Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
In recent times we have seen some ridiculous amounts being offered for players, Fifita on $850 a year for four years, and yesterday the suggestion (not an actual offer yet) that a Burgess Brother would be the first one million dollar front rower.

Which brings be back to where we sit in the cap scenario.

Now clearly we have not bought a player of note since Jamie Lyon, and that's a fair while ago.

And also very clearly we have developed a lot of players and have had to upgrade them significantly in recent times to keep them (obviously DCE / Fozzie).

BUT....just think of the players we have let go since the 2008 GF, the list is long and it's not just been Neville's we have had to let go but some very good players. Mind you that hasn't been one of our superstars but nevertheless we have lost some talent.

So I wonder where we sit for 2015 and beyond??

You'd imagine the Stewart boys would be on decent dough, Skivvy knocked back a big offer to go to the Sharks I think but still on decent money. Matt Ballin would be on decent coin but not "Cameron Smith like money. The rest on good but not big money.

IMO we seem to be doing things fairly much based around keeping the core there and filling in with prospects / rejects and journeymen, and to be honest so far so good.

HOWEVER

Despite the fact I hate agreeing with any newspaper we are starting to get a few players that are in the twilight of their career, and very soon they won't be with us, if so I wonder when we will be in the market for a few marquee players???

I'd suggest to you Jason King won't play in 2015, and both Stewarts may not be together from next year on, and if that's the case I wonder if 2015 will be the year we'll launch into buying a few stars (who is off contract this year and whom we'd want is another story).

By the way the Salary Cap as it exists looks to be flawed, Third Party Agreements will allow the rich clubs like Bronco's, Bulldogs and Roosters to own the competition....much like the top 2 or 3 sides do in the English Super League.

Anyway it's an interesting item to think about so thoughts everyone??

pretty sure foran and choc are on big back ended deals for 2015. I have read that before so not sure if it will ever end. If cherry signs and we have money free we may be better off front loading his contract in 2015 as the dollars talked about may hurt for some time ahead

One feels at some time Manly are going to have to have a couple of leaner years in order to restore the balance and to build around foz and cherry

There needs to be a complete rethink about how the salary cap is done.

The Roosters and Dirty dogs of today are just rorting the system and allowed to get away it by the establishment who have interests in these clubs.

Clubs should be rewarded for bringing through juniors and discounts should apply for 5 and 10 year players.

I think the guide lines for 3rd party payments have also got to be reviewed cause the one team towns have a big advantage as do clubs with big leagues clubs ie dirty dogs and rorters.

What the league must do is have a transfer window from October to February to stop players signing with other clubs as it really puts a dampener on a fan when a star player defects.

There needs to be integrity too when a player does switch, the behaviour of the dirty dogs needs to be examined, 2 years ago it was us and now the sharks are the victims.

Townsville Eagle said:
Sad to say but I think the afl will be the number one code before the NRL knows what is going on and by then it will be all over.

Rugby league will be a minority sport in Australia within 20 years. What sort of a parent is going to let their children play with all of these concussion/brain damage stories doing the rounds? I am a teacher and, believe me, they are taking notice.The NRL don't care about player welfare, either. 26 rounds, a few mid year tests, 3 origins and tri-nations at the end of the year. How much more can players take, and they are not getting any smaller. The corrupt stooges in the upper echelons, all with personal agendas, will do the most to kill the game though. The Bulldogs are ruining the game for me at the moment with their picking the eyes out of teams. You can bet these vultures are ready and waiting for the fire sale at the Tigers and Sharks should they go belly up. And don't compare them to us, at least we know how to develop players these days.

Seriously Moops we bought 2 sharks players for next year that entire club is on a knifes edge so players will leave given the opportunity.

If the tigers loved Tobasco so much why hasnt he been locked into a contract. Ill tell you why poor admin nothing more nothing less.

Sharks and Tigers players are ripe for the picking snd its not our fault their clubs are poorly run.

The cap is the same for all clubs and if we are cheating it we will be caught like we were back in 2002

Simple. No third party agreements for new signing arrivals for the life of the initial contract. It puts the pressure on the player to perform. Does he stay for 450k over three years or sign a one year deal for 550k with the chance to sign the next contract for 800k for two years? But if they play like a bustard then their next contract is for 300k per year.

How you can have one bloke on basically a sixth of your cap is beyond me.

Canterbury are knuckleheads for paying Fifita that much.

It also gives clubs a chance to keep players that they want and helps the tribalism that we all love so much.

COMMANDER said:

Yeah but come on it seems all of the NRL public journos, forum posters and what not know exactly what we pay our players even though they are not made public.

Didnt you guys just re-sign Tafua for 800,000 per season or is that me making figures up. Remember you guys have more stars than we do.

Guzzler said:
COMMANDER said:

Yeah but come on it seems all of the NRL public journos, forum posters and what not know exactly what we pay our players even though they are not made public.

Didnt you guys just re-sign Tafua for 800,000 per season or is that me making figures up. Remember you guys have more stars than we do.

There would be no one at manly on 800k a year yet, least of all a winger.

COMMANDER said:
Guzzler said:
COMMANDER said:

There would be no one at manly on 800k a year yet, least of all a winger.

I used Tafua as an example, of course hes not on that much but apparently its common knowledge fafita is on 850k.

DCE, Foran will command 900k plus when the they are up for renewal.

Yep, they will. DCE will be a million dollar player,but those guys are playmakers, not props.

No doubt but why do people assume Fafita is on 850k, seems the world knows how much we sign players for.

No other signings are put out there.

Guzzler said:
No doubt but why do people assume Fafita is on 850k, seems the world knows how much we sign players for.

So did the Dogs out more or less on the table than the offer by the Sharks?

Guzzler I agree with you. People on here believe what is in the papers when it suits. $850k for Fifita is gospel yet what is printed about Manly players is never true. Remember what was printed about Brett a few years back fellas. Was that true? I do not believe anything in the papers.

voicefromthehill said:
Guzzler said:

So did the Dogs out more or less on the table than the offer by the Sharks?

Sorry I have taken it a little off topic seeing as its meant to be about Manly and their cap.

I can't answer that question as players saleries are not made public. Gallen seems to think we tabelled $50k more meaning Sharks through $800k at him which i find hard to believe.

Mark from Brisbane said:
I'd suggest to you Jason King won't play in 2015, and both Stewarts may not be together from next year on, and if that's the case I wonder if 2015 will be the year we'll launch into buying a few stars (who is off contract this year and whom we'd want is another story).
My guess is …
Currently on big money we have: Foz, DCE, Choc, Snake, Gift, and Killer.
Matai, Ballin, King and maybe now Jorge would also have pretty solid deals.
Then Wolf and Jake on reasonable money, & the rest on peanuts.

6 or 7 of those could end up retiring within a year or so of each other.

So, rather than buying marquee players, I think our juggling act will concern the timing of which players we let go, and upgrading those in the peanut brigade who show they can cut it (such as Lawrence).

This process will be necessary so we don't suddenly have an experience vacuum, and to make sure we keep Foz & DCE for the long haul.

Similarly I doubt Storm will make any marquee signings until the big 3 are finished.

Guzzler said:
Seriously Moops we bought 2 sharks players for next year that entire club is on a knifes edge so players will leave given the opportunity.

If the tigers loved Tobasco so much why hasnt he been locked into a contract. Ill tell you why poor admin nothing more nothing less.

Sharks and Tigers players are ripe for the picking snd its not our fault their clubs are poorly run.

The cap is the same for all clubs and if we are cheating it we will be caught like we were back in 2002

Who are the two Sharks players? Anybody we have heard of or some quality NSW Cup players?

Guzzler said:

Because those clubs can't afford the dodgy, under the table payments that he wealthier clubs can. If you don't believe that is happening you are very naive.

Yeah, you were caught but you didn't have to shed players immediately and were able to ADD Andrew Ryan to the team. Yeah, huge punishment! The Bulldogs should have been crippled for a decade like Carlton in the AFL. Carlton won't want to ever try that on again, believe me.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6