The Salary Cap Rubbish

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
I am starting to get a little concerned over the amount of hype this is causing not only the media but a number of manly fans; who are now questioning their own clubs morals as far as player payments go.

A salary cap of 3.3 million, when averaged out, breaks down to individual player payments of $123 000 per season.

I just want to do some quick figures, none are accurate at all but they paint a general picture.

Next season manly are seeing 5 players leave the club at this stage. Could be more, but one thing for sure is their will be no less. Unless of course the manly sea eagles forum is succesful once agiain in over ruling our clubs managment in signing players.

These players:

Sam Harris
Scott Donnald
Chad Randal
Terry Hill
John Hoppoate

Lets start by asuming that all players are earning their average $132 000 a season. Players like Donnald who negotiated his contract just after being awarded the leading NRL try scorer. $132 000 a season, yeah... bargain.

Sam Harris, the up and coming union star turned league. From Union... to league... for $132 000? Once again Bargain.

Chad Randal, one of the clubs most famous names. At a stage there, im sure everyone in League had him as the next star hooker in Marron and White. So for $132 000 we can gladly rub our hands together for yet antoher Bargin.

Then theres Hill. Reported to be on no more than $50 000 for a season in match payments, is that amount worth coming out of retirement when you know you'll only get out of your wheel chair for 4 of them? I dont think so.

Then theres hoppa, who needs all $132 000 of it to feed him kids and pay his fines. He will be sorly missed :yeah:

So keeping in mind we have 5 players leaving, on a very modust salary of $132 000, each of whom were manly's "up and coming stars" just a year ago, that gives me a figure of $660 000 gone, from next seasons cap. On such a small salary.

Then we have to believe that exactly the same amount payed to players like Donnald, Harris, Hill, Randal andl Hoppoate is payed to players like Paul Stephenson and Steve Matai who are included under the salary cap.

Hard to beleive... well, acording to the news articles, it's has to be true.

I seriously question those figures. Its just so hard to believe that these guys are anywhere near the $132 000 a season mark. Remember, this includedes the top 25 payed players. Thats 8 PL players to think of who will be getting there average share of $132 000.

G Stuart
S Matai
P Stephenson
P Morewood
K Clean
T Burns
A Alberts
M Bryant

Ask yourself guys. Are the above mentioned players really taking up $1.056M of our Salary Cap? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure, we have BK. We have Kite. We have Beaver and Watmough. But you will all remember that both BK's recived sign on fees rumored in the vecinity of 400 000 each. It will bring them right back down, close to just $250 000 a season if you beleive news paper reports on their contract information.

But even cutting the fringe 1st grade players salary from $132 000 to a more reasonable and perhaps still overpriced $70 000 a season, we are saving yet another $496 000.

Knowing that I have my figures wrong with players like Donnald and Co the $496000 thats spare from the PL is probably divided up over a few other players in the team. Especially the ones leaving the club

So with realising manly have 5 regular 1st grade players out of the line-up next season, I'm guessing on "averages" of $170 000 some more... some less, is it so hard to believe we can't replace them with 2?

Is a rough figure $850 000 not enough to sign Orford and Bell? :stupid:

good summary mate.it is a joke

1.that manly are at the focus of this simply because they sign a player after lenghty negotiations

2.that fans give management no credibility.

Very well done Flip.I have a question about Beaver.Shouldn't he get the 75% 10 year at one club discount that Ricketson get's from the Rorter's?When they had all the player payment's on the back page of the Tele a couple of weeks ago,when they were being questioned about signing Harrison and Anasta they had him down as $150k a season taking into account the 75% discount.That would mean Beaver wouldn't take up as much under our cap either.

yeah yet the roosters sign every top player under the sun and dont get a mention

Good read, and to assist in your figures it was documented that Kite was receiving $330K and Hoppa's contract of $90K was paid in full after he was terminated.

From my perspective it goes to show that Manly has once again become a financial strength in the game and some of the other clubs are now intimidated by another contender in the market for marquee players. Some of them have (Roosters, Eels & Dragons) have become too comfortable with the player market in recent years & have been able to pick the eyes out of it with little compitition from the other clubs.

oh also donald was reported on $60K last year and re-signed for similar amounts

a lot of the fringe first graders like matai, steppa etc would be on 70 - 80K, that is the going rate it seems. ALbert is prob on a little more.

but as you say some estimates will be high, some low and it will even out to within 100K - plenty of money floating around.

Bell - 250K
Monas - 240K
Orford - 450K
Kite - 300K
BK - 300K
King - 180K
Stewy - 180K
Hecks - 120K
lulu - 120K
Willo - 120K
Hicks - 120K
Watmough - 150K
Dunley - 100K
Beaver - 100K (after discount)
Witt - 120K
Bryant - 80K
Alberts - 80K
Steppa - 50K
Matai - 50K
Stewy 2 - 70K
Burns - 70K
Mullane - 120K
Cleal - 50K
Lennon - 50K
Taylor - 50K

as our roster stands for next year - 3.52 million

noting that we increased our sponsorship - thanks max so the cap would be at about 3.5 million.

just a generous guess - but it shows theres plenty of room.

agre fluff, could be a bit over also, im not concerend, its just souths people in the media like Flat head denton ,

Fluffy you have to remmeber that Matai and Steppa were not fringe first graders when they signed up on their last contract. Matai got a 1 year deal after initially being rejected. There is no way he would be on more than the minimum unless he get s acontract this year and even then he will struggle to get more than 45. Same for steppa when he signed hi last contract he hadnt made a first grade appearance and would have been on a minimm contract. In fact the same goes for a lot of the fringe players

Good points Dan.

I was going for worst case scenario - since then we have learned that orfords first year is worth 250K so cut 200K straight away. down to 3.3 million - what a suprise.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4