The rule that cruelled us.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Everyone's being a bit harsh. How can anyone expect a ref to be aware of whats happening around him to be able to move out of the way.

Just let them get on with their job of being mobile cameras and acting on the advice of the video guys.

Dan said:
You hit the ref then the defensive team should get the ball that makes infinitely more sense

So you are coming out of your 20 & the ball hits the ref the defensive team then gets the advantage

Mal Cochrane said:
yeah, it's strange rule, but i am not sure I have the better answer.

Ref calls "Dogs play the ball again, 5th tackle".

... simple.
That call and soft sinbinning of starling were
Hard to cop.

HoldenV8 said:
If the kick is on the last tackle it should go to the defending team, not gift the attacking team an extra set of 6.

All teams really need to do is kick it towards the ref and if he can't get out of its path they will get the ball back for an extra set.

As it stands, its a BS rule but its been around since Moses was in nappies.

Smart players, especially in big, do or die games, will simply bang it straight into the ref on the 5th, for a repeat set.

How easy it that to coach into our great game, which is being turned into A-grade bullshyte
(wrestle/ grapple, huge forwards interchanged in 15 min bursts too much, can't punch 1 on 1, a shoulder "bump" is the crime of the century & agree with Gus Gould - video replaying every single incident has eliminated spontaneous excitement from all tv sport. Ref - just make a farking call).

Ball hits ref - play the ball again on that tackle number.

Bit late for us, but how simple is that?

On the last tackle the dummy half should run back and tag the 2nd referee with the ball.

Getting a scrum feed from ball hitting a referee is called Greenburging.

And let's not forget on Manly's last set DCE couldn't get the field goal away as the Dogs were 5 meters off side. Where was that penalty? The ball went dead from Snake's kick so why didn't the video referee stop the game to see if the Dogs were offside?

Good on the NRL rule makers too. While they spent the summer dreaming of ways to give teams 7 tackle sets to penalise missed field goal attempts no one bothered to change the stupid rule that is 6 more tackles if the referee gets hit with the ball. made worse as now there are 2 referees. Well done NRL. Well done. What will this coming summer bring?

Should be play on, whoever gets the ball after it hits the ref, good luck to them, but the tackle count remains as it was prior to it hitting the ref.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Should be play on, whoever gets the ball after it hits the ref, good luck to them, but the tackle count remains as it was prior to it hitting the ref.

Good idea. Most referees are about as intelligent as a goal post.

Masked Eagle said:
Strange rule, but not really sure what the alternative is. The problem is coming up with something black and white because the circumstances will change with one team getting a benefit when the play probably didn't deserve it. I'd say should be left up to the refs discretion but we know that would lead to even more controversy.

The rule needs a simple tweek. If the contact is from a pass, then call for a play-the-ball where the contact occured, and don't restart the count. If it is from a kick, then it is a handover. Apply it across the length of the field.

The rule is an antiquated one from a time when contact with the ref was a constant likelihood with the shorter gap between teams and style of the game around the ruck.

Should have been looked at decades ago.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Dan said:
You hit the ref then the defensive team should get the ball that makes infinitely more sense

So you are coming out of your 20 & the ball hits the ref the defensive team then gets the advantage

Yes

Put it this way.

Who made the mistake here, you and the ref. the only ones who didn't make a mistake are the defensive side, but they are the ones punished. It defies logic

Also just watched the game on TV and noticed the final siren went at 79.56. We had the ball and Hodges was about to play it. It would have allowed another play the ball and perhaps another FG opportunity.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
In football if the ball hits the ref it is play on. In this case Manly got the ball so play on. If the Bulldos had got the ball back it would have been last tackle, hand over to Manly.

tayls said:
Also just watched the game on TV and noticed the final siren went at 79.56. We had the ball and Hodges was about to play it. It would have allowed another play the ball and perhaps another FG opportunity.
No, they only have time-keeper issues at suburban grounds.

Did anyone else listen to MMM last night before the game? It is obvious to me that the Dogs did. Bill Harrigan was saying back in the day when he was still refereeing, that Brett Kimmorley used to do the exact same play everytime. It got to the point where Harrigan would stand close to one of the players so that he could duck around behind him so that he wouldn't get hit.

tayls said:
The Bride & I commented on that very thing.

wedgetail eagle said:
tayls said:
The Bride & I commented on that very thing.
Inconceivable

Jethro said:
Did anyone else listen to MMM last night before the game? It is obvious to me that the Dogs did. Bill Harrigan was saying back in the day when he was still refereeing, that Brett Kimmorley used to do the exact same play everytime. It got to the point where Harrigan would stand close to one of the players so that he could duck around behind him so that he wouldn't get hit.
it appeared deliberate to me, after reading this I am certain.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4