The Refs, the rules and the bloody coaches

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The refs are hopeless, and we have been shafted. But why are the refs so terrible. hampstead was once a fine referee
My thoughts are these

1 Rule changes- every off season we have a raft of rules changes at times numbering over 20,  hang on there not all rule changes they are different interpretations of existinng rules. What the ......... Stop pissing about with the game, leave it the hell alone. I have been watching footy for 40 years and don't know half the rules anymore

2 If a rule has to be changed why the hell do we allow the coaches forum to decide this. Every year they get together and try to change rules to reflect the tactics they want to employ and the squad they have. Get rid of it now, Keep all rule changes away from coaches

3 The refs have become fulltime over the last decade to differing degrees, and i suppose they have to justify it, so they sit around in meetings all freaking week, filling themselves with self importance , coming up with action items and agendas on what is and isn't a forward pass. If they didn't know this stuff before they got to the NRL, how did they get the job

For as long as Ive watched footy,a forward pass looks forward, i don't give a toss which way his left hand finger is pointing in relation to the grandstand with  wind calculation of 3 knots

A shepherd is a shepherd, stop a bloke from getting a good shot and you have obstructed him

Get the rules back to where they have worked for over 100 years, stop trying to reward the attacking team at every turn and let the battle begin

And just quietly most of this rubbish about play the balls, markers standing square are all the result of changing the 5m rule which was 7m anyway the way it was policed. If the ball is encouraged to clear the ruck area more there would be less contentious calls

How many interpretations have we had of ball stripping in the last 10 years. They changed a rule because of langer, but somehow forgot the tripping rule he employed for a whole career

Bunch of clowns

I can get fired up, hell i could do the video refs job from my lounge and a mobile phone and get it right more often, especially the calls relating to Manly

The harrigan one still gets me. I download the games from p2p and watch them on the big screen. The qulaity is less than fuzzy at times but i could see it plain as day.

Are the video ref box;s a dry zone or are they on the piss up there

As I said elsewhere

Move the video refs to NRL Headquarters

Min 3 to officiate on each game, each seperated from each other....the majority rules.

And then this is conveyed to the ground, and back to the Ref...may add the odd 10 seconds here and there for delay BUT 3 heads would be way better than one.

Also means less travel, they just come to work, in Sydney, no airfares, no accommodation....and with technology the way it is....no problems.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
As I said elsewhere

Move the video refs to NRL Headquarters

Min 3 to officiate on each game, each seperated from each other....the majority rules.

And then this is conveyed to the ground, and back to the Ref...may add the odd 10 seconds here and there for delay BUT 3 heads would be way better than one.

Also means less travel, they just come to work, in Sydney, no airfares, no accommodation....and with technology the way it is....no problems.

AND ****ING HD TVS
sorry caps,shows frustration

Oh and yes HD TV's

The ONLY way this would work is if the three are separated (from each other)....let's say (take Gasniers Try for example)....Harrogate thinks it's a try so pushes the yes button, the two others see it's a no  try and pushes the no button.....the No's win the day and the Try is denied.

They don't converse as they isolated from each other, if the whole three of them get it wrong we just have to accept it, but with the three officiating the chances of that are negligible.

Anyway it's an idea.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Oh and yes HD TV's

The ONLY way this would work is if the three are separated (from each other)....let's say (take Gasniers Try for example)....Harrogate thinks it's a try so pushes the yes button, the two others see it's a no  try and pushes the no button.....the No's win the day and the Try is denied.

They don't converse as they isolated from each other, if the whole three of them get it wrong we just have to accept it, but with the three officiating the chances of that are negligible.

Anyway it's an idea.

Wasnt this idea on the footy show?? i always thought it would erase alot of errors

I agree with the original post which, in a nutshell, was let's get back to the simple game we all love.
Then other posters come in by saying we need THREE video refs! Bloody hell - we are trying to reduce the number of refs and officials. And when the three don't work, will there be calls for five video refs?
I might be a dinosaur but I'd like one on-field ref and no video ref; where every decision is judged in real time and real speed. Invariably the first reaction made by a ref will be correct. If not, we have to live with the fact that nothing is perfect, and it gets more imperfect the more rules and officials you have sticking their beaks in. It's like politics!
I'd also like to see:
1. knock-ons only ruled when it is a knock-on; these days if you drop the ball in any direction they rule a knock on.
2. Two types of penalties, with the non-illegal penalties (all the technical ones) resulting in a tap restart and six more tackles - not the kick for touch first. It's too big a impost for minor breeches such as markers not standing straight etc
3. Common sense rulings ie. the ref decides if a ball has been deliberately stripped without having to determine how many were in the tackle. Too many loose carries are ruled strips
4. There must be significant downward pressure for a try. Nowadays you can throw the ball at the line and be awarded a try

In fact, if most of the rules read: the referee will apply common sense to the decision then it would return to the game I have loved for 50 years.   

I am leaning toward a panel of 7 video refs for each match, all isolated from each other, and a majority verdict. Plus they are not allowed out of their boxes, they just have to stay for the duration of the season.

agree totally BH.I watch a fair bit of UN20's with no video ref and it is a joy to watch decisions made in real time.

I opt for Reality TV - Refs should open the f-in window and watch the game! 
Even from the ground level we can see the bleeding obvious.  Imagine how much clearer it would seem from halfway and above the ground.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6