The Philosophy of Time and Fate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Narcissus

Reserve Grader
Hi all,

Let me tell you a little story about my attempts to keep up to date with the Swans in the finals.

Some of you may already know the start of this story, as I spoke about it in a previous thread :). However please be assured, the story gets worse!

You will also note that although I am a big fan of the Swans my actual knowledge of the finals 'system' is lacking and that is the reason, I think, for a lot of my bad luck.

So, from the beginning...

I'm no longer living in Australia and in this little city of mine, there's no way to be watching the games. While looking into how I would be able to save a streaming video from afl.com.au I found a website where I can download the AFL matches. For those of you interested in these sorts of things, this site is awesome. As much NRL, AFL, rugby and cricket as the rippers can get is uploaded in fantastic quality. Excellent. You have no idea how hard it was for me to not see the scores as I searched around that afl.com.au site, but now I had nothing to fear. I was on my way and downloading the first round of finals...

I got an email from two separate friends of mine, the day before I was going to watch it, telling me the result.

Strike One.

Bummer. I replied, thanking them for spoiling the result and told them not to do it again.

So for the next round, I saw the infamous comment here on Silver Tails about the Swans. I checked the date (just to make sure it hadn't been played) and decided to read the comment. How was I to know the game was played on the Thursday??

Strike Two.

My recent visits to Silver Tails have been careful since then, just in case it accidentally happened again. Saturday morning (my time, late Friday night your time) I was rooting around the AFL site, wondering when the Grand Final was on. Well, bugger me! I didn't know that there was another round, and bang. Sydney have won again.

Strike three, and I still haven't watched a match without knowing that Sydney won!

So now I'm a bit superstitious: maybe the Swans will only win when I'm going to somehow, accidentally, see the results before watching the game....

So do I find out the result of the Grand Final and find out they won, or wait to watch the game, and probably make them lose???

Stupid AFL. Stupid Internet. Stupid Narcissus.

Lincoln, you know what I say...its fated to be!

Well that's cemented it. I deleted an email from my own father as it had the Swans in it, just so that I didn't know the score.

Then there I am, watching a news report on Hurricane Rita of all things, and what scrolls along the ticker??

Geez, you'd think BBC News would have better sense :)

i feel for you man but you have to admit if it happened to someone else you would be laughing

Daniel, you cannot laugh about things like this: I've discovered that I apparently have the ability to change the past, just by observing it... :)

You remember the story of Natalie the score ruiner....like Morrisey says

"I can laugh about it now but at the time it was absolutely terrible"

geez glade makes php-gtk easier, but damn does it make it hard at the same time, especially with the over heads of having to hide all the windos you want made inactive

Although this is getting highly offtopic now :), you shouldn't have to hide those you don't need as you should only be showing those you do need in the first place, if you get my drift...

not with glade dude

The only other way is to make each window as its own glade file.
So when youuse glade as a WYSIWYG GUI builder you have to set it as hidden then use the $widget->show(); command to show it and then hide it again.

I will send you my code later today its coming along quite well

And so it begins... as the NRL offseason begins, a new silvertails.net clientele emerges... one that excites itself not with the thumping, sweating masculine form, but instead with vector maps, recursive functions and normalised databases.

At last... a footy site that embraces programmers!

LOLOMFGBBQ!!!!1!!1!

fr0: j00 iz pwn3dz!!!1!

Just remember mate: just because you're not into doesn't mean you can go and bag it out... A wise man once said:

"It's nice to be important, but far more important to be nice..."

Now, if only I could remember where I read that.... :)

Fro you really are pushing back the bnoundaries of ignorance with your views champ

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4