The Ox

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wouldn't be so quick to bet the house against a premiership winning captain steering the raiders around.

Should be good for the raiders...but chronic injuries may limit his game time.

I cant believe that we couldn't or didn't want to offload Seu Seu, Cross, Galuvao & T Rex in order to pick up Hall and Orford. Surely you would like to see this team run out this year.

1. Snake
2. Robbo
3. Whare or Hoppa            Oldfield/Davey/Lodge - backup
4. Matai
5. Wolfman
6. Lyon
7. Orford      DCE/Riccardi are backups
8. King
9. Ballin
10.Kite
11. Choc
12. Hall
13. Gift

14. Rodney
15. Rose
16. Buhrer
17. Foran          Mauro/Lussick/Cunningham/Robinson/Harrison all backup

I would have been excited to see that team. Can you imagine the workrate in defense coming from Hall and Rodney interchanging would have opened up far more attacking options for Choc and Gift not having to do so much defense and having Orford's passing and short kicks.

DSM5 link said:
Put the house on the Broncs, Orford's playing. 

The other 16 raiders players are going very well and probably won't notice orford is even on the field.  All he has to do is pass the ball and they will be fine.

Feel sorry for last weeks half back who had a great game.

mickqld link said:
I cant believe that we couldn't or didn't want to offload Seu Seu, Cross, Galuvao & T Rex in order to pick up Hall and Orford. Surely you would like to see this team run out this year.

Orford is a crock, my info from the Raiders is he is in real bad shape with knee injuries.

Hall was and is an ordinary first grader at best, who served us well at the time.

If we are going back in time surely Cuthbertson, Hicks, L'Estrange, Bell and Willo would come in to the mix too.

I would have to disagree, Orford was one of my favourite manly players. we would of done well to have him in 2010 and probably would of gone alot better for it.

Orford is one of my least favouite Manly players & I'm glad we didn't go backwards by picking him up.
Why keep a good kid down for an old bloke that isn't as good as he, and many others, thinks he is.

DCE has already in one game produced a couple of kicks that were better than anything Ox ever did. He also had some bad ones but I'll put up with it from a guy in his 1st season.

Overpay an aging playing to make bad kicks, hog the ball and send one of our brightest young prospects to another team because he can't get a run.

Sounds like a great plan....

I will never understand why some Manly fans hate Ox.

Like any player he had his strengths and weaknesses, and he did have an absolutely shocking 2009.  But his short kicking and passing game were outstanding and are now sorely missed.

I'm not in the camp that wants him back as I think he is past his best, but I do think he deserves some more credit than some people give him for what he did when he was playing with us.

Sure Orford had a few ordinary games for us, including his last game against the Storm.  But if anyone thinks we would have got even close to making the semis without him in 09 you're sadly mistaken.

Also I dare say a large percentage of Snakes 98 tries would have come about because of the combination those two had.

I wasn't that upset he left because I thought it was time to look towards the future, but underplaying his achievements for us is poor form IMO.

Shane link said:
Mad its because they like to think the centre who played 5/8 won us the comp

Not just him. the whole team stepped up. I, for one, don't want to see Lyon at 5/8.
Good plays were coming from everywhere. This made Ox feel threatened so he ball hogged.
You can't tell me there weren't better drop out options everywhere. Why couldn't he let that little thing go?

Hate is a strong word Marcus. It's not the right one. "Feel he's over rated" is a better term.

He was ok but he doesn't deserve the accolades he gets. Monas was better & he cops a flogging from many, many people.

I don't understand all the Orford hate. Sure he provided some moments of frustration for Manly fans, but overall he worked his arse off for our club for 4 years, in which time we had 4 finals appearances, reached 2 grand finals and won a premiership.

Having said that though I don't believe we should have brought him back, we have to re-build and look to the future, not hold on to past glories. Hopfully DCE will cement his spot as our new number 7 and bring more glory days to our club.

Duff link said:
[quote author=Shane link=topic=186915.msg324307#msg324307 date=1300413272]
Mad its because they like to think the centre who played 5/8 won us the comp

Not just him. the whole team stepped up. I, for one, don't want to see Lyon at 5/8.
Good plays were coming from everywhere. This made Ox feel threatened so he ball hogged.
You can't tell me there weren't better drop out options everywhere. Why couldn't he let that little thing go?

Hate is a strong word Marcus. It's not the right one. "Feel he's over rated" is a better term.

He was ok but he doesn't deserve the accolades he gets. Monas was better & he cops a flogging from many, many people.
[/quote]

You criticise Orford for being a ball hog but praise Monas?  A big reason why we went the extra step in 08 from 07 was because Ballin gave the ball EARLY to Orford instead of holding onto it and seeing if there was an option for him first before dishing it off.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1300414117[/time]

mickqld link said:

1. Snake
2. Robbo
3. Whare or Hoppa             Oldfield/Davey/Lodge - backup
4. Matai
5. Wolfman
6. Lyon
7. Orford      DCE/Riccardi are backups
8. King
9. Ballin
10.Kite
11. Choc
12. Hall
13. Gift

14. Rodney
15. Rose
16. Buhrer
17. Foran          Mauro/Lussick/Cunningham/Robinson/Harrison all backup

I would have been excited to see that team. Can you imagine the workrate in defense coming from Hall and Rodney interchanging would have opened up far more attacking options for Choc and Gift not having to do so much defense and having Orford's passing and short kicks.

Don't worry about Hall & Orford, what about BEAVER!!!!

MadMarcus link said:
I will never understand why some Manly fans hate Ox.

Like any player he had his strengths and weaknesses, and he did have an absolutely shocking 2009.  But his short kicking and passing game were outstanding and are now sorely missed.

I'm not in the camp that wants him back as I think he is past his best, but I do think he deserves some more credit than some people give him for what he did when he was playing with us.

That's my opinion as well.

I was the right player at the right time for us.
2002 we had rubbish in the halves
we signed monas in 2004 who was an average halfback and someone who took us from cannon fodder to a fringe top 8 side.
Ox came along and took us from a fringe club to a contender.

IMO he left us at exactley the right time he was getting older and injury prone.

So can say wat you want about him but hes a member of a very elite club as a manly premiership captain.

He did his job when he was here, nothing more. We moved him on at the right time as his 2009 season was woeful.

Be interested to see if his dropouts go further in the rarefied air of the nations capital though

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2