The other forum hosts have cooked themselves with their attitude

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hrm, I thought MWSE forums did this ages ago?

In any case, the MWSE forums were cumbersome and not lively when I was active on them (maybe a cppl of years ago now? shrug).

The Manly Daily has used forum comments from time to time but not in a negative way to memory. The last one I saw was when it was running the "Give Us Our 07 Premiership" story. There were no problems though some of the posts did not represent club policy. I am not too fussed about all this, though doing it mid-season is maybe not so good and the lead in time was pretty short.

vidmar link said:
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=183229.msg261612#msg261612 date=1272972115]

You would think so but funnily enough there are more members now than when the mwse forum was open to all comers?

[/quote]

Surely Vid, your not suggesting that since the forum has been locked you are generating more membership  ::)  ::)  ::)

Membership numbers are driven by :

1. Success
2. Markerting of your brand.

The forums are an excellent tool to increase awarness of your brand and an excellent way of communicating to the greater community the importance of becoming a member.

The club needs to capture as many people as possible to drive memebership, not drive them away from it.

I believe the powers that be have really missed the boat on this one.

captainskin link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=183229.msg261603#msg261603 date=1272971148]

Support our troops FFS.

Anyone who loves The Eagles, enjoys what they do for you, and has the capacity to afford a membership and isn't one, is a bum straight up in my books, and I don't care who that upsets.

...and your meanning of the word bum is?

[/quote]

Any ex norths supporters.   ;D

[quote author=vidmar
Captain skin -  I seem to remember seeing you on the Hill at Penrith and you seemed to be having fun
[/quote]

No, that was Bruce Willis :)

Hi all,

I'm new, came across because I couldn't read the mwse.com forum any more (didn't get a membership this year due to travel).

Happy to be apart of this forum and of the Sea Eagles community.

GO MANLY!

I haven't posted there since I got banned for saying Hoppa was missing a few chromosomes after the Galloway 'incident'. I thought it was fair comment the way Hoppa played sometimes, they wouldn't let you say anything!

Canteen Worker link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=183229.msg261658#msg261658 date=1273019202]
If you stay on this site, you get more of me. 
That might be the reason why people are whingeing so much about the loss of mwse forum!!!! Storm the gates of the club!!! :) :) :)
;)
[/quote]

can you rephrase that

Cletus link said:
I haven't posted there since I got banned for saying Hoppa was missing a few chromosomes after the Galloway 'incident'. I thought it was fair comment the way Hoppa played sometimes, they wouldn't let you say anything!
Ah, I ghet all misty eyed remembering that.  I should dredge out my "Hoppa the Hyena" article for old times' sake.

Forums are forums, this one is far less moderated, the other far more moderated...BOTH are important to the fans.

Membership however is vital, even if you just buy the most basic $59.00 one...that gives you access to the MWSE forum which you can choose to use or not choose to use.

As Dan has stated it's a business decision.

And to be honest don't be surprised to see some charge imposed here in the future, this site is growing (and slowing down as a result) and Dan "may" have no option other to impose a charge to cover the increased internet costs....now that's ME saying that not him and I have no inside knowledge but I know the bandwidth required to run MWSE was huge and I's be surprised if this wasn;t the same.

Those that like "freedom of speach" will always like this forum better, as I say BOTH forums are important and there's room for both in the Sea Eagles world of fans.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Forums are forums, this one is far less moderated, the other far more moderated...BOTH are important to the fans.

Membership however is vital, even if you just buy the most basic $59.00 one...that gives you access to the MWSE forum which you can choose to use or not choose to use.

As Dan has stated it's a business decision.

And to be honest don't be surprised to see some charge imposed here in the future, this site is growing (and slowing down as a result) and Dan \"may\" have no option other to impose a charge to cover the increased internet costs....now that's ME saying that not him and I have no inside knowledge but I know the bandwidth required to run MWSE was huge and I's be surprised if this wasn;t the same.

once dan cleared up some other sites on the server it seems to be running at a decent speed for me.

am going to have to look into a new server for us, (i already have) but it takes alot to setup.

They should be a lot faster. I added some pretty heavy handed cacheing but had to remove it from the forums as it was not being controlled properly.

There was also another site on the server that was being nailed by spam. We removed this which stopped a lot of the throttling that was on the site.

Basically the host throttles the allowed CPU when a site takes up too much for a given amount of time per hour. We were reaching 2000 seconds per hour which is huge, when 800 should be your peak

Anyway that has cleaned it up a lot and I will be doing everything I can to avoid having to charge for anything other than the tipping competition.

Ideally I would like to attract site sponsors and advertising which would make the site pay for itself, but that has proved rather difficult

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4