The NRL Product

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
So I see last nights clash met the specification for the NRL product. High scoring and close to the end.

I didn't watch the product, but I'll just bet the product referees controlled the flow of the momentum by implementing penalties at the appropriate time to keep the other participant in it.

Can someone please confirm this for me.

I didn't see it because, come Monday, I believe that the round should have been completed, and talk then focuses on the next round.
Monday football is a TV initiative and should be stopped. Of course, with TV controlling the sport, this will not happen until we get a NRL with integrity.
I'll bet (another dirty word) that had this match been played on a Sunday the crowd would have been up by 30-40%.
The NRL keeps claiming it wants to get kids to matches - hence its justification for the upcoming comic book round - so why are most of the matches played at non kid-friendly times?

I attempted to watch it.

But could only stand a few minutes of it.

I just don't like non Manly games anymore.

I used to be a fan of the whole NRL but over the years with the leadership, marketing and the controversy I now only watch Manly and whoever they are playing.

Good luck to the rest but they don't interest me anymore.

Just like the Boomtown Rats, I don't like Mondays. In fact, the only thing I hate more than Mondays are the Bronco's. I was never going to watch it.

It's amazing how often I forget that there is a Monday night game. Unless, of course, Manly is playing.

MNF is a joke. It would be interesting to see how it rates on Fox.

The Who said:
I didn't see it because, come Monday, I believe that the round should have been completed, and talk then focuses on the next round.
Monday football is a TV initiative and should be stopped. Of course, with TV controlling the sport, this will not happen until we get a NRL with integrity.
I'll bet (another dirty word) that had this match been played on a Sunday the crowd would have been up by 30-40%.
The NRL keeps claiming it wants to get kids to matches - hence its justification for the upcoming comic book round - so why are most of the matches played at non kid-friendly times?
All the vicious, dangerous team insignia need to go. They are also not kid friendly. Toddy and Noddy should study several episodes of "Adventure Time" to cotton on to what is required. Marketing the dangerous animals etc, is so Un-PC.

Clearly the Rabbits and the maybe the Roosters are OK, the standard. But as for the Eagles, Tigers, Panthers, Titans, Storm, Eels, Sharks, etc etc, they are all just too nasty.. And i apologise to any actual Eagles, Panthers, wild Horses, etc etc that have been offended by these remarks.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
All the vicious, dangerous team insignia need to go. They are also not kid friendly. Toddy and Noddy should study several episodes of "Adventure Time" to cotton on to what is required. Marketing the dangerous animals etc, is so Un-PC.

Clearly the Rabbits and the maybe the Roosters are OK, the standard. But as for the Eagles, Tigers, Panthers, Titans, Storm, Eels, Sharks, etc etc, they are all just too nasty.. And i apologise to any actual Eagles, Panthers, wild Horses, etc etc that have been offended by these remarks.

Yes. Let's have more flowery child-friendly names like the 'Waratahs' or 'Tahs' as they are known to kiddies, and 'Proteas'...
I note that the Eels' cheerleaders are called the 'Sweet Pees', so they have embraced the concept.

Aug 2014

Improving NRL crowds at games:

There’s been much discussion about low crowds at various live games, what the NRL needs to do is this:

Offer special experiences that only fans get when at the live game, including:

1) All players of both teams (including trainers or injured/suspended players who are there and able) must spend ¼ of an hour asap after the game walking right around the perimeter of the field shaking hands with / hi-5-ing / signing caps/shirts /flags etc. of the fans.
The winning team goes first followed after a fair gap by the losing team, with security personnel encouraging and assisting the entire process, and if it’s cold or wet the players have warm club coats etc. as required.

2) Occasional free flag and items promotions like Manly recently did with the “5000 free flags” at a Sea Eagles v Roosters game at Brookvale this year, and free Wolverine Masks etc.

3) Schedule more smaller ground (and special SCG) games for Saturdays and Sundays, particularly afternoon times. Thus more Thursday, Friday & Monday night games will be at Stadium Australia, Lang Park & the SFS.

4) Encourage & support games and facilities improvement at the smaller old venues like Kogarah, Liechardt, Campbelltown, Brookvale, as well as Penrith & Wollongong. Also continue occasional interstate venues like Bathurst, Darwin, Perth etc.

5) Free activities for kids such as jumping castles, play on the field after the game etc.

6) Ensure all cold drinks are cold, all hot food is hot and of reasonable quality.

In addition to Public Transport deals / special services they already seem to do a fair bit.

@ssar

I agree great ideas BUT, what do the owners of the game (Nein and Fox) get out of this???

The answer is Nada, and that's the reason why it won't happen.

Sadly I think fans / members rate waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy down the list of importance, and in a recent post I suggested we are only a few years away from "virtual crowds" being shown on TV.

You all might laugh at this suggestion but I was at a lunch (albeit a few years ago now) with some guys from Sky Racing....and they see in the future (not sure if that's near or far) races being run on a track where there's nobody in attendance other than the horses / jockeys / trainers.

Their equipment permanently set up (imagine the savings they would make on all those country race meetings) and everything timed to run in between the big races in Sydney / Brisbane / Melbourne (where real people would still go).

If it wasn't for organisations like "Racing Queensland" or similar organisations in NSW / Victoria we'd be seeing this now.

Virtual crowds / virtual cheering......coming to a TV near you soon!!

What beats me is that when NRL crowds are down when Manly aren't playing there seems to be any number of reasons given including scheduling and the weather. But if Manly draw a low crowd (even if we're playing a non-Sydney team) its the fans who get blamed and the media jumps on the "Manly fans don't travel" bandwagon.

Even against low drawing teams such as the Titans, Cows and Raiders....we don't get the sub 10k crowds we've seen in the past few weeks from supposedly well supported teams like the Scumdogs and Rorters.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6