The north shore

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
Geographical, it's half of Sydney and over a quarter of its population.

Time to claim all the juniors on the north shore, including the Bears. Time to bulld one big stadium for the north shore. Time to build our Manly brand and membership.

Time to grow the league following, all united behind Manly, north of the harbour.

Been saying this for years. Wasted potential. The club can claim all the way west to Cherrybrook, down to the Harbour Bridge and up to Palm beach and Hornsby. Even if they don't do that for juniors they should be doing it for fans and sponsors. Manly should be the team of choice for all of northern and north-west Sydney. There is no other club or code that can do that.

And the NRL has the hide to say it should put more resources and money into the Western Sydney teams promoting juniors etc while they ignore this huge area with antiquated stadiums and piss poor junior support.

I live on the north shore and you are absolutely correct about the region lacking a stadium of any quality. Chatswood Oval is about the best, and its 1950s standard. However, the location is great should the government stump up $200million for something decent, being right on the train line.

The Who said:
I live on the north shore and you are absolutely correct about the region lacking a stadium of any quality. Chatswood Oval is about the best, and its 1950s standard. However, the location is great should the government stump up $200million for something decent, being right on the train line.

I've thought this too but the land size looks too small for a modern stadium.

ain't going to happen boys and girls, the afl has set the precedent. The nrl, against our wishes and what is best for the game, is likely to follow.

Brissie Kid said:
Been saying this for years. Wasted potential. The club can claim all the way west to Cherrybrook, down to the Harbour Bridge and up to Palm beach and Hornsby. Even if they don't do that for juniors they should be doing it for fans and sponsors. Manly should be the team of choice for all of northern and north-west Sydney. There is no other club or code that can do that.
Exactly instead there is the Bears acting as a feeder club for South Sydney.

I am sure , considering how the northern eagles ended, the bears would love to be our feeder club

lsz said:
I am sure , considering how the northern eagles ended, the bears would love to be our feeder club

Stuff the Bears they are dead and buried like Glebe,University,Cumberland and others. Central Coast will never happen while we are alive. We need to take over all the area north of the harbour. We need to run shuttle buses direct from North Sydney rail,Chatswood rail, Westfield Ryde,Macquarie Uni, Hornsby Rail on game days and take the whole of Northern Sydney. Start at the juniors level and get these kids to support Manly, get our membership over 20,000 then we might have a shot at a decent stadium if there are enough political votes on our side.

Put it this way. If there was presently no NRL club in a part of NSW or QLD with a population and business scale of that in the area from North Sydney to Palm Beach to Hornsby and across to Cherrybrook everyone would see it is a no brainer to have a Broncos scale NRL giant there. Wake up Manly NRL club!

I don't think it's a case of waking up. I think they are making every effort to do so - within the constraints of the Club's financial position. If Parramatta and Penrith (with their financial resources), need a helping hand from the NRL to stave off challenges from the AFL and A-League, what hope do you think Manly has on its own in 'conquering' the rugby union stronghold of the North Shore? Especially when we don't have a 'cash cow' leagues club like Parramatta's or Penrith's?

That is one reason why I think there has been an unsaid (but apparent) change in philosophy from the 'Everybody hates us, we don't care' days to now. That campaign started around 1997/98 and it certainly didn't help Manly in staving off a joint venture back then.

Some people wanted to hang around in the past, whilst some younger, brighter people realised that that was a self-defeating exercise. That could be why someone like David Perry is now the CEO.

One obvious and longstanding sign is the fact that at certain grades, North Sydney junior clubs participate in the M-W junior competition. And that has worked out ok - think Keiran Foran.

Just a thought for our marketing department: Considering leasing a pop-up shop at Chatswood Shopping Centre for a few weeks stocked with Manly merchandise, with some guest appearances by some first graders.
This would help increase exposure for our great club in a large growth area.
Worth a try, and shouldn't be too expensive.
Likewise, Hornsby Shopping Centre.
Both of these centres are massive, and support huge catchment areas.

Sincerely thank all Manly faithful for responding to my original post.

Stuff everyone else, we want to be a league giant on the north shore. Maintain the rage, Manly faithful. Please keep this post alive. Strategically, I can't remember any other post on this beloved site that had the ability to galvanise all Manly fans behind a common cause.

Let's stake our claim in the north shore.

Let's remind the News Ltd hacks that frequent our site that we are united as one, in wanting our club to sustain the stellar heights that our proud club has achieved.

Phantar said:
I think they have already done that sort of thing TW.
Time to try it again, imo. Pump up Eagle Rock. Get the Seabirds performing - who wouldn't love them? Jamie Buhrer could conduct a barbershop quartet? Joe could bring his talented singer to perform. We'd all get their in our Manly gear and sing along. Next thing you'd have a phenomenon . . . The Brookie HILLSONG!
With all the donations from the new tax-free religion going to pay for a new stadium.

The Who said:
Phantar said:
I think they have already done that sort of thing TW.
Time to try it again, imo. Pump up Eagle Rock. Get the Seabirds performing - who wouldn't love them? Jamie Buhrer could conduct a barbershop quartet? Joe could bring his talented singer to perform. We'd all get their in our Manly gear and sing along. Next thing you'd have a phenomenon . . . The Brookie HILLSONG!
With all the donations from the new tax-free religion going to pay for a new stadium.

Sounds like a plan.....

What we should do is get Manly Sea Eagles registered as a church. We have enough members to do this, we can then take advantages of the massive tax breaks that churches get and abut membership fees become donations. We can have a belief that we can only play on say sat or sun arvos and never Mondays. Going to church would be compulsory for all faithful, not just when we were winning and if anyone said a bad word about us we could take them for discrimination.

Gallop seemed to suck up to Florimo and the bears and was keen for them to have the north shore and Gosford if the cc bears made it to the nrl.

It seems Smith thru TV motivations is keener on Perth and second Brisbane team.

That being the case I think the club should discuss with the Nrl that whole north shore region officially belonging to us and being our catchment area.

The bears are no longer a top teir team we are and fair is fair they had more than there share of manly-warringah players in their sides from 1908-1946

RL Gronk said:
Gallop seemed to suck up to Florimo and the bears and was keen for them to have the north shore and Gosford if the cc bears made it to the nrl.

It seems Smith thru TV motivations is keener on Perth and second Brisbane team.

That being the case I think the club should discuss with the Nrl that whole north shore region officially belonging to us and being our catchment area.

The bears are no longer a top teir team we are and fair is fair they had more than there share of manly-warringah players in their sides from 1908-1946

I think it's more an issue to take up with the NSWRL in the first instance. It's still at that level that the districts are divided so we'd need their support to get momentum to take it higher.

Given the eternal hope that the Norths faithful have survived under for over a century, I can't see them giving it up anytime soon. And I don't see the ARLC forcing the issue, no matter how sound the reasoning.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6