The Manly Sea Eagles offering dreams not cash to young rookies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
DALLY M rookie of the year Daly Cherry-Evans got nothing more than a handshake and a greenkeeper's uniform at the Sea Eagles' NSW Academy of Sport headquarters at Narrabeen. Just three years ago, the halfback was earning $250-a-week as a living away from home allowance.

Read the full article

I love the fact we are bringing so many young guys through. It is so much better to develop superstars than to buy them.

Just wish the same philosophy was in place about thirty years ago, when we had both good local juniors and unknown imports, generally being overlooked for big names from elsewhere. I'm talking early 80s in particular, when only one big name import, Noel Cleal, went on to play for Manly in a premiership winning team.

Some of the money saved could have gone into Brookvale Oval, not into the pockets of players like Phil Sigsworth and Dave Brown.

IMO, one of the best stories ever written of our Club.

These days, ppl don't believe that we could rort the salary cap simply because we don't have the funds to do it.

"Manly tries to buy a Premiership!"
Yep, and so does every other club.

But this story, with our young stars right at its base, talks about pathways and passion, foregoing the cash. A great read.

Phantar said:
Just wish the same philosophy was in place about thirty years ago, when we had both good local juniors and unknown imports, generally being overlooked for big names from elsewhere. I'm talking early 80s in particular, when only one big name import, Noel Cleal, went on to play for Manly in a premiership winning team.

Some of the money saved could have gone into Brookvale Oval, not into the pockets of players like Phil Sigsworth and Dave Brown.

Who? I wasnt around back then...

There needs to be more salary cap concessions for juniors coming through like this. It would be great to see the bulk of them stay at the same club.

The Eagle said:
Phantar said:

Do some reading then.

Phantar said:

Come on Phil had one of the best nicknames in rugby league

"Whatsa Packet of Cigs worth"

Phantar said:
The Eagle said:
Phantar said:

Do some reading then.

He can't read

Fro said:
Phantar said:
The Eagle said:
Phantar said:

Do some reading then.

He can't read Twilight but reads many a SK novel

Fixed for accuracy,your welcome

The Eagle said:
Fro said:
Phantar said:
The Eagle said:
Phantar said:

Do some reading then.

He can't read Twilight but reads many a SK novel

Fixed for accuracy,your welcome

what's his welcome?

(you're for future reference)

Hate campaign......so much hate for me in a group of the most hated people in the country

If grammar is at the top of the list of things to snipe about you probably need to get out more :)

The Eagle said:
Hate campaign......so much hate for me in a group of the most hated people in the country

If grammar is at the top of the list of things to snipe about you probably need to get out more :)

Spelling, not grammar.

Grammar is more or less the rules regarding the structure of writing. Full stops, commas, word placement and such. Your issue was with spelling and selecting the correct version of a similar word.

To be fair, yes there was a grammatical error in there, however, the correction was for spelling and not grammar

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2