The legend of Arthur.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I am waiting to see how he performs under pressure

Much like Ricky Stuart had g Murray to set up his roosters team that won the gf Arthur had Stuart to set him up (his team was such a massive disaster that anything was an improvement)
The real test for him is this year, no Hayne and essentially no Stuart bounce. Clearly he has an ability to engage with players - both times have been either during a gf season or the rebound season. This is Not to say he is not talented but we will learn more this year

The "king" Arthur is easily a better coach than the best in the business Ricky Stuart. I don't get why Us Manly fans can't understand why Foran and that Mensa member Watmough wouldn't want to play under him? We are just being silly.

Arthur exceeded expectations with a team that was widely predicted to finish last and that is why there is some hype about him. I actually see some similarities between his first year as coach as Hasler's first year back in 04. Both coaches had horrible squads and missed the finals but showed promising signs for the future.

He had last year to find his groove. If he can sneak a spot in the top 8 this year then it will add to his credibility as a potential premiership winning coach.

The eels will surprise quite a few teams this year. Including us in round 1. They will make the 8 this year. The Hayne legacy is a complete myth, supported by stats that are meant to be broken.

They will make the 8. Melbourne will not.

I'm waiting to see which player will be the first to pull his sword out of Arthur when the pressure is building.

The media can just go so over the top, either someone (Arthur) is the best coach of all time, or someone (Toovey) is just rubbish and all the players are leaving him.

The reality is of course (as usual) somewhere in the middle ground. I think like @Pittwater Legend that he has some potential. By all account players had high regard for him at Manly and he showed some respectability last year to take them from the Spoon to challenging for the 8 (finishing 10th). As with all coaches the question has to be asked about the cattle that he's got and did he a) make the most of them b) develop a style of play that suited the players and c) make the players better players. It's hard to say. I thought that he did make the Eels (in general a better team, but then Ricky had just put them at rock bottom, so hard to judge him on that. And the other thing is that Hayne won a good 5 or 6 games through his brilliance. I was looking at the Rugby League Annual the other night and there is a 5 week period where Hayne scored 12 Dally M points, 3 Man of the Matches in a row, then a 1 then a 2. Pretty outstanding stuff. This year is the test. A good coach will shuffle his pack this year and make them more than the sum of their parts. A good coach will inspire them to take matters into their own hands, and forget Hayne saving them. Can he do that? We're about to find out. But the reality is if he doesn't, he's gone. And personally I think the Eels are in big trouble this year without Hayne.

I accept that some players seem to like him, but the truth is that parra had recruited solidly going into last season and would have improved even with the legend Ricky Stuart there. They recruited Nathan Peats, Isaac DeGois, Corey Norman and they got Will Hopoate playing. Add to that Sandow came back from rehab and Hayne stayed injury free.

That alone would have lifted them numerous spots up from the spoon so trying to assess what impact the great one had is difficult. Had they made the top 8 I would have given him a lot of credit. The loss of Hayne is huge for them and if they think watmog is the answer to that they will soon be in for a big surprise. I predict a 9th or 10th finish again this year.

Erin hole-and just said on today show that deli Arthur has refused to confirm or deny a move to Manly.

Manly coach Nathan brown must be getting worried about his job given the constant speculation over Brett arthur

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4