The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly report - rd 7

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Thanks for the great summary mate!! How good was Choc, he really deserved a win for that effort.

Absolutely agree with everything you have said. In particular Tom Symonds starting, Gift being eased back slowly and Lawrence playing for longer. I've never seen Jamie that well contained. Goodwin was superb in defence and Souffs are the real deal. But come September they will have to settle for runners-up to the Mighty Manly.

The Who said:
Absolutely agree with everything you have said. In particular Tom Symonds starting, Gift being eased back slowly and Lawrence playing for longer. I've never seen Jamie that well contained. Goodwin was superb in defence and Souffs are the real deal. But come September they will have to settle for runners-up to the Mighty Manly.

Souths have peaked way too early and have shown their hand.
We will dispose of them easily next time.
Great report. Choc awesome. They were good and Inglis is a match winner as shown by his game changing burst at that crucial second half early stage. The video refs are total clowns, simple as that. The on field refs are juniors as well. They were overawed and never in control of the game. Never.

Great wrap-up cf2. I was also a bit disheartened to find your article's moniker used by the mwse site but I guess you should be flattered. You'd think "for a few dollars more" they could have come up with something original. They should have at least offered you "a fistfull of dollars."

Anyhow, it was a great game (full credit to the boyz) but to win we really needed some points from our mammoth effort in the first half as it was bound to take it's toll in the second. Although we deserved another try or three, Ill discipline (or perhaps our inability to recover) leading to five consecutive penalties cost us the game I thought. It also seemed like it was one of those games that we weren't meant to win. I thought in some frames you could just make out a smokey silhouette of a ghost or ghoulish figure that was making our passes go a little askew and the kicks a fraction too far. There was one whispering something in Kite's ear with five minutes to go. They're also noticeable around Inglis, whenever he was tackled they seemed to be making him just flip over like a red wine on white shag pile carpet. Doesn't Freddy Krueger wear a Rabbitohs jumper? Hmmm.

Some of Tooves' decisions i.e. G.Stewart playing 80 and J.Buhrer playing 08 made no sense at all. Surely we have other options, Gower not really being one, no disrepect. With Gulavao, King and Fa'oaso gone we're going to be pretty light up front and no match for big packs. I hope we have some fresh beef in the other two grades that are ready to step up and if need be leave their addiction to American franchised fast foods behind them. Surely it can't be too hard to find a couple of crash test dummies that can catch.

Our attack as said was as it's been all year, 'disjointed' and will improve in time with more 'big match' practice. As I've said before, I wish we could treat every game as a 'big match' at least so that the emotion and intensity becomes more familiar, manageable and our performance consistent.

The low light for me was watching a Diesel troop carrier try to morph into a Porsche 911. Yes he drove more miles than he should have had to and the reserve tank was flashing "HELP", but how much experience is needed to realise when it's necessary to put it in neutral and just roll down the hill. As disconcerting as that was seeing good field position given away with cheap penalties and careless tackles, giving a giant forward pack (which we were handling very well) easy metres whilst putting extra strain on our own pack.

This eyesore/mind-ache/aneurysm producing game was for me countered by the toughest man on the park knocking the childhood memories out of both over-hyped over-fed over-inflated Burgess brothers. I wish all four of them had played just to see the league's premier hit-man add to his vast bone collection and delete an entire families history.
Steve Matai: I salute you. Thank you for giving me something to cheer and a smile whenever I remember that brutal game.

P.s. Leave the no-look pass to Benji bro.

Gift didn't play 80 minutes. Came off in 2nd half for about 15. Gift has to play IMO, he's not goin to get match fitness unless he plays extended minutes. Alot of short memories around here with the bagging of Glenn. Wtf do u expect after the injuries and lay off he's had???

Same people were probably giving it to Choc a couple of years ago, and now are raving what a legend he is.

the mauler said:
Gift didn't play 80 minutes. Came off in 2nd half for about 15. Gift has to play IMO, he's not goin to get match fitness unless he plays extended minutes. Alot of short memories around here with the bagging of Glenn. Wtf do u expect after the injuries and lay off he's had???

Same people were probably giving it to Choc a couple of years ago, and now are raving what a legend he is.

Don't think so Mauler. I've never given it to Choc, but agree that Gift might have been over used for his first match back and pretty rusty. You're right about needing game time but surely not to the detriment of the team having better player options available. Doubt it was a game breaker though. We lost because of the first 10 min after half time. We had to score first after the break, simple as that.

Great post as usual.
But I remember Kite doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago that lead to a try. Just wasn't our night unfortunately. Symonds needs to start and maybe play 80min he has that x factor.

Good report CF2. Such a frustrating game for Manly fans, blood pressure levels went sky high over the 80 minutes.

I would have liked to have seen Snake go low on Inglis and use a grass cutting tackle out of the Beaver play book. He is simply too big & too strong to try & take down with a ball & all effort. The old saying "can't run without your legs" still applies to GI.

I agree, it would have been spectacular to see Snake cut down GI at the roots rather than be beaten and left in his wake. I guess we rarely see such beautiful tackling these days due to the fear of a fast play the ball its consequences. Given that players still manage offloads whilst dealing with three or four defenders it is quite perplexing to see small men invariably going high on much bigger men.

@the Mauler, nowhere did I read of anyone "bagging" G.Stewart. There is obviously some surprise at the amount of time he played and the little impact he had, as highlighted by yourself, "Wtf do u expect after the injuries and lay off he's had???" I don't think anybody expected anything different from him. It was the coaching staff that any scrutiny was directed, not Stewart. His inclusion may have perhaps been more for morale than strategy and he'll definitely be better for the run. :argue:

No wonder I was so frustrated after the game - this:

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Stats-Insider-Rd-7-A-win-by-the-numbers/73418

We beat them on every stat except the one that counts. So many more metres gained..

This game reminded me a little of a frustrating game against Storm back in 2008 just before finals time.
Won the physical battle & looked the more dangerous & gave so much confidence leading into the decider weeks later.
The execution was off as was timing & had plenty to do with over enthusiasm which is not a terrible thing, just needs to be harnessed better.
The Souths slide defence seemed to continually frustrate the Seaeagles though on 3-4 occasions only inches of green grass denied the 4 points.
With slightly slicker & better timed movement off the ball would have given that scoreboard a very different look.
Still felt there were plenty of holes playing more direct up the middle for Symonds/Choc & at times the continual shift was a bit predictable.
Unlike most I think Souths earned the win - due to the fact the game was in the balance & in an armwrestle until Souths come out & blew the game apart early 2nd half.
Loved the fact the boys stood up against adversity & some rugged calls to fight back & in the end, could have easily snatched a dramatic win.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6