The Good, the Bad and the Ugly report - 2013 Rd 6

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Another supurb and spot on report, and I agree the Ugly was bloody Ugly!!

Horsehead up to his old tricks, all day long, that was one of THE worst displays this year (and just when I was starting tp praise them for doing a good job).

Due to him we were lucky to get away with that one.

Great read. Love The Landcruiser name for Kitey!
I can't add anything to your accurate summary on all levels.
Except to add to the chorus of complaints re Maxwell. Horsehead is a great name for him. He is a dickhead of colossal size and needs to shut his trap. He makes so many errors it's a wonder more players don't openly ridicule him during the game. Full tosser.

I like the Landcruiser. Last year I was calling him the Crab (coz he seemed to go more sideways than forwards), but he's been great this year. I agree re Brookie and the Sunday arvo schedule, it's just plain rediculous. Agreed re Ballin too - would love for him to take on the line more.

BRING ON THE RABBITS!

Great write up yet again CF2. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

We would have won 32-nil had it not been for a freakish catch by Stapleton (with 3-4 Manly players about to catch the bomb) and a runaway try. Nine times out of 10 we would have scored, which would have made it 22-nil. We were superb in the opening 25 minutes.

That runaway try gave Cronulla oxygen, which was helped by a lopsided penalty count. I'll give credit to Cronulla, several other teams would have raised the white flag and been flogged by 50. But the scoreline did flatter the Sharks.

The Who said:
We would have won 32-nil had it not been for a freakish catch by Stapleton (with 3-4 Manly players about to catch the bomb) and a runaway try. Nine times out of 10 we would have scored, which would have made it 22-nil. We were superb in the opening 25 minutes.

That runaway try gave Cronulla oxygen, which was helped by a lopsided penalty count. I'll give credit to Cronulla, several other teams would have raised the white flag and been flogged by 50. But the scoreline did flatter the Sharks.

In all fairness, none of them were close to catching it.

Not sure why everyone is praising such a poor performance. To win by a whisker against a team with the stability of Nitroglycerin. Is nothing to be proud of. Thank @#$% Todd Carney didn't play.

Anyone who thinks the refs favoured the sharks need to open both eyes, our first try was a metre forward and Hiku's pass would have seemed normal if it was in the NFL.

It's this simple ladies and gentleman; When three Manly forwards don't drive the attacker back towards his own line in the first few sets (even by a few inches) they're not really there to play. When it's a skinny outside back carrying three eagles on his back up the field it's just plain embarrassing and worthy of a refund at the teams expense.

17,000 fans deserve a bit better I would think. Maybe i'm wrong, Toovey said, "it is impossible to maintain the same intensity for 26 rounds (unless you're the Melbourne Storm of course)." That may well be the case and I know that cyclists don't sprint for three weeks through the french country side. I'm not a sports psychologist but is a win over a top team better than a loss to a bottom team? They're both 2 points. What do you take from that dichotomy? What sentiment do you come away with? You can kill a lion with your bare hands but a single bit from a garden ant will be the end of you? How does that make you the best?

Is there a kind of secret 'rope a dope' technique at play here? We all know how that worked for Ali in the long run. Are we conserving energy already? If so why not just stick it in second gear and scrape into eighth position and go mental in the finals? I've never seen Tszyu or Mayweather pick a round to go half-arsed in order to conserve energy. That kind of unprofessionalism breeds complacency and creates opportunities for you to get knocked the @#$% out.

40 - 12 Ring a bell? Ding Ding.

Big Bird said:
Not sure why everyone is praising such a poor performance. To win by a whisker against a team with the stability of Nitroglycerin. Is nothing to be proud of. Thank @#$% Todd Carney didn't play.
The Sharks are one of the top teams for meters gained each week this year. It was always going to be a tough game, and the sharks similar to the eels usually rise to the occasion against Manly. The eagles missed a few opportunities in attack but were still able to get the win. It is not how much a team wins by that matters, just as long as they win.

IQofalimabean said:
Big Bird said:
The Sharks are one of the top teams for meters gained each week this year. It was always going to be a tough game, and the sharks similar to the eels usually rise to the occasion against Manly. The eagles missed a few opportunities in attack but were still able to get the win. It is not how much a team wins by that matters, just as long as they win.

I totally agree with you. I never for one second expected that this game would be a blow out and was amazed with the 5 to 1 odds. Like most teams, the Sharks do lift for Manly and it's often an ugly affair between these two. This year Cronulla have a very capable, impressive roster.

This is the reason why I was dismayed with the level (or lack) of intensity on display by Manly. You can be sure, win, lose or draw, it will be a different attitude that they bring to the Souths match. Why is that?? That's the question i'm searching for an answer to.

I think the way they play for 80 minutes week after week is much more important than how much they win by and perhaps in some cases more important than the win itself. I just get concerned as a Manly tragic that this superstar team seems to pick and choose when to play like the superstars they are and ultimately could pay the price for what appears to be 'selective' inconsistency.

If it's all part of a greater plan then i'll just quietly bite my nails and look forward to the day this great side puts together the polished performance we all know they're capable of (hopefully at the right time of the year).

I am extremely proud of the achievements of this club and my pessimism merely reflects a fear that the ability of this champion team won't be realised.

On another note: Does Jason King with his reactionary emotional hair-trigger make a good leader? Surely B.Stewart, Ballin or even Foran would be a more sensible choice for captain. What is his role exactly?

A tad harsh Big Bird. Storm might aspire to be robots, but Manly is not a machine, our team is a living breathing organism and is subject to some fluctuations depending on conditions. For example, being 5/1 favourites leading 16-nil and playing in oppressive heat. They are human. And as others have said, some credit to Sharks for showing a bit of bite. They are not the competition easybeats.

After watching the match for the sixth or was it the seventh time, i realised that perhaps I was a "tad harsh". I'll refrain from being too critical >optimistic face< until our annual loss to the Eels. Till then - YAY team!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7