The good old thug approach-what a waste of time

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Is Stuart kidding.

Gallen,Bird,Scott are his trump card apparently.They have one thing in common,they love a blue and are real "hard men"supposedly .Same reason Kingy got picked-loves the fisticuffs in the middle(though does not start it like the others).Ennis is a grub but can play and Snowden likes to mix it.

The flip side - virtually zero creativity in the middle.Lewis not being their is an atrocity and Glen is very unlucky.

Stuart will base his case on Qld always having a no frills pack that do the job.He is right but there is one problem-after they do their job Thurston.Lockyer,Inglis,Slater,Hodges and Co tear the blues up.

Even if the blues hold the middle Pearce and co just cant get it done out wide(although Uate will help this year).Not for the lack of trying,they just dont have the skill set.

For NSW to win they need to be penetrative in the forwards .I would rather be working through Myles,Thaiday,Harrison and Co than the superstars out wide.Lewis,Stewart,Choc gives them a chance at points.This lot have virtually nothing in them particularly as Gallen seems to convert straight into a up the guts workhorse from the opening whistle and leaves his club skills in the sheds.He has never played a full origin series because he doesnt use his abundance of skills and they iether dont pick him or toss him after a game.He is a champion and needs to back himdelf.

I could possibly understand the run on pack if they went for variety on the bench but it is just more of the same.Zero Strike(Young ffs)

If I picked that backrow to complement it I would even think about Mateo as a 20 minute player.Mistakes in him but also points.Lewis has no mistakes and points and they leave him out.

If you look at Qld this year,Myles,Harrison,Thiaday,Civonoceva have been well down on form and are ripe to be tested.

Ridiculous team from a coach with a proven record of failure.

Good summation. Anyone else notice Pearce's total disinterest yesterday? He just jogs into position and waits for something to happen. He's a link man at best.

What has Bird and Pearce done all year to deserve being selected?

The difference is that some of the QLD players may be down on form but you can guarantee that they will play the best 3 games of their season in origin.

The bess thing to come out of this years series is that it will be Stuart's last one as origin coach.

I can't disagree with a single thing you have said there sue, fantastic post.

IIRC we tried the 'thug' approach last year when they had Choc, O'Donnell & Gallen in there stirring it up, didnt work so well then & I doubt it will work now. Players just don't get rattled in SoO (Unless their name is Ben Creagh).

SoO is dead & Sticky is at the ready to knock the final nail into it's coffin. Good riddance.

I have no problem with Gallen, he deserves his spot, thuggery or no thuggery. The guy just chews up metres and is like another prop. Agree he is not super creative but he can get an offload away in traffic.

Scott has been picked as Sowards defensive minder. And by Sticky's explanation he also provides cover for centre in the event of injury.

Similarly Bird provides cover at 5/8 according to Sticky. I agree he hasn't been in the greatest form, but he performed OK last year when he got a run, and of the 3 he is probably the most creative.

I can't believe Luke Lewis has been left out either, I can only assume that they were concerned that he hasn't had enough footy over the last 6 weeks and may be short of a run or two.

If they wanted aggro, why leave our 'army of one' out? Stuart seems to be confused as to what he wants in a team. And I would have thought that Dugan's chance went down the plug-hole with his blunders in Melbourne. Canberra won in spite of his efforts. Pierce's try-line defense was hopeless at Shark Park as well. He was brushed off like a fly. And he offered no direction to a team that was odd-on to win. And as much as I like King, how many games has he played this season, and when he does, his form isn't that good? I just can't see this team winning. Qld would have to be swabbed if they lose any games.

Stuart is a tool of the highest order.
He is a bully boy from way back with the death stare "how dare you question me" vibe.
Piss off Ricky - you have picked a joke SOO side.
Leaving out Glen Stewart? Why?
Including Jennings?
Why?
I know why. Because you are a total and complete failure of a coach ( Sharks seem to be going good at the moment Ricky ) who believes his own media.
Q'land 3 NSW 0

Every year its like ground hog day. We leave our most dangerous players out of game one. Last year it was Bird, the year before Gallen or Watmough. The only players that could possibly rattle their feathers this year (Hayne and Indris) obviously wouldn't get a look in.

Pretty much agree Susan. Watmough always delivers in Origin, he must have really upset someone. His omission is great for us, he will be fired up to prove them wrong. How Morris got a wing spot over Hayne is absurd. Hayne like Watmough always delivers. Is Morris going to create something from nothing? I dont mind Dugan being picked but Hayne should have grabbed a wing spot.

Susan, I'm a big fan of the word "penetrative." Can I have permission to use that in the future?

In my opinion Origin is not about form as much as not letting your teamates down. Pick players with heart and skill and if you can't find 18 of them then don't turn up. No matter what Lockyer's form Qld will pick him because he will always be there for the Morons.

The thug approach wont work with Soward,we needed Mullen for this team

Might have stood a chance

Just quietly i think Mullen/Carney should have been the halves,Mullen has the toughness and 40/20 ability and Carney has oodles of flair and is tough enough,Pearce is tough enough but lets face it,Pearce should be wearing the 6 in his own team with Carney in the 7,Carney wearing the 6 is the same as Marshall wearing the same number,its a mindf*** they are both the REAL halfbacks of their team

We picked a 5/8 with no toughness and another 5/8 who while tough isn't really the creative genius this squad needs

Our back row bar Gallen is stupid,Jennings has not scored in like 600minutes of footy and he is a ballhogish player as shown in city country

Our bench bar perhaps Mannah is a joke,its oooh you wear red and white,here have a sky blue to go with it

Ennis however was the right choice

The cane toads seem to get very rattled when the biff comes on and tend to go off their game in the past.Thats the era when Stuart played and we were winning.Whats origin with no biffo? A ballerinas game.

I think Stuart's strategy is sound with this team. There will be no razzle dazzle; the only way to win is to restrict the Qlders scoring.

He will attempt to emulate St George's style of play; kick for field position, tackle and grind em down.

You've got to start somewhere.

Garts said:
Pretty much agree Susan. Watmough always delivers in Origin, he must have really upset someone. His omission is great for us, he will be fired up to prove them wrong. How Morris got a wing spot over Hayne is absurd. Hayne like Watmough always delivers. Is Morris going to create something from nothing? I dont mind Dugan being picked but Hayne should have grabbed a wing spot.

In the words of Gus, "No, No, No, No, No".
Sure Hayne can create tries from nothing, but what about the 3 that get's scored on his side when he get's caught out?
Brilliant attacking player yes but can't defend to save his life.

susan said:
Is Stuart kidding.

Gallen,Bird,Scott are his trump card apparently.They have one thing in common,they love a blue and are real "hard men"supposedly .Same reason Kingy got picked-loves the fisticuffs in the middle(though does not start it like the others).Ennis is a grub but can play and Snowden likes to mix it.

The flip side - virtually zero creativity in the middle.Lewis not being their is an atrocity and Glen is very unlucky.

Stuart will base his case on Qld always having a no frills pack that do the job.He is right but there is one problem-after they do their job Thurston.Lockyer,Inglis,Slater,Hodges and Co tear the blues up.

Even if the blues hold the middle Pearce and co just cant get it done out wide(although Uate will help this year).Not for the lack of trying,they just dont have the skill set.

For NSW to win they need to be penetrative in the forwards .I would rather be working through Myles,Thaiday,Harrison and Co than the superstars out wide.Lewis,Stewart,Choc gives them a chance at points.This lot have virtually nothing in them particularly as Gallen seems to convert straight into a up the guts workhorse from the opening whistle and leaves his club skills in the sheds.He has never played a full origin series because he doesnt use his abundance of skills and they iether dont pick him or toss him after a game.He is a champion and needs to back himdelf.

I could possibly understand the run on pack if they went for variety on the bench but it is just more of the same.Zero Strike(Young ffs)

If I picked that backrow to complement it I would even think about Mateo as a 20 minute player.Mistakes in him but also points.Lewis has no mistakes and points and they leave him out.

If you look at Qld this year,Myles,Harrison,Thiaday,Civonoceva have been well down on form and are ripe to be tested.

Ridiculous team from a coach with a proven record of failure.

they haven't even done the thug thing properly. If this was their approach Choc would be first picked. Also Scott and Creagh are powder puffs.

Look at the Queensland 1,6,7,9 spine. They have ben together in Queensland and Australia for 6 years now.

Dugan has not played with Soward or Pearce ever. Soward has played one or two games with Pearce. Ennis has had maybe one game with Dugan. NSW are jolly lucky Inglis and Hodges are out as it eens it up a little bit.

I read today Stuart has picked a team to have a street fight with the cane toads.Its gonna be on and i cant wait.Slater is the biggest cat ive seen and i hope he gets his share.

With Inglis and Hodges(who is the best centre in the game) out now,the blues have a real chance if they put in.nielsen is at best a good club player and tonga can be found out like reddy did the other night.Hayne would have enjoyed running at Tonga from the back,his 7 try past assists last week was a record but he won't get the chance.dont agree with the side NSW have picked but they are in with a real hope as a lot of strike just went bush for Qld.petero always lifts but is he finished?maybe.myles and harrison need to lift big time also.qld slight favourites but not by much.suncorp probably tips it in their favour.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6