The Fringers playing well and getting good time

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
The most pleasing thing for me this year is the more 'fringe' players getting some game time. In the backs Cheyse Blair has played a few and done himself no harm, and of course there is Gutherson as well who looks a likely starter sooner rather than later.

Then of course we have JLJ in the halves.

Then in the forwards, T-Red and JSL have been getting a lot of field time and are growing by the game. And in previous years I would have called Buhrer a 'fringe' player, but not this year, he's stamped himself on this team.

Then you have Tyson Andrews getting a few minutes, and Hasson getting some time as well. This all bodes well to me, and if we need to rest up a few players (carrying niggles, not just for fun) then these guys can get more and more time.

So all in all good to see.

Buhrer has really stepped up. Injury to Gift has been a blessing in disguise. We have been waiting for Buhrer to step up for a while now but never got the game time.

Losing Horo has also shown that we are a better side without him. Symonds has been really good. JSL has stepped up as well. Liked his aggression today.

I remember we'd put Freddie teasdell on for 10 mins with the instruction to tackle everything that moves. Tyson may get this role

#crisis

Two spots on the bench need to be front rowers. On recent form I find it near impossible to leave JSL out. Good luck to both Horo and Gift?

Good thread and well said @Killer03. The fringers have all stepped up and made the most of their opportunities.

Buhrer and now T-Red have done their jobs so well they should retain their starting positions, whilst Gift and Horo should earn the right to replace them when available.

So what was the final 17 (from one yet to see the game)?

Sounds like : Blair in, and a bench of JSL, King, Andrews and Hasson.

With Lui, Horhay, Horo and (hopefully Gift) to try and fit back in, the next crisis for 2V will be exactly that...Who to leave out!

It's a seriously great predicament at the moment for Tooves, and to have the ability for say Jamie Lyon to rest an extra week (if needed) to get his hip/leg ready for finals, or to give Taufau that extra week which may mean his injury goes from 80% to 95%.

JSL is a defenitly a permanent bench player fpr the rest of the year.

He is really strong coming onto the field once the forwards are starting to tire.

At full strength we have a lot of options.

I'm still waiting to see Chee Kam, saw him
in the 20's for the Faders and he was a class above the rest.

I know he's been plaugued with injuries , just hope he's not discarded before he comes good.

Mark from Brisbane said:
I'm still waiting to see Chee Kam, saw him
in the 20's for the Faders and he was a class above the rest.

I know he's been plaugued with injuries , just hope he's not discarded before he comes good.

Let's hope he does come good and live up to the hype Mark.

He is contracted for a 3rd and final year with us (for 2015). If he can stay on the field maybe he'll repay the patience and faith.

JSL, Tyson and JLJ are clear keepers as well.

All our fringe first-graders should be playing out of their skins from now till season's end, knowing they may only be one or two injuries away from a spot in a winning NRL grand final side.

In the salary cap age you don't win grand finals (bar cheating the cap) without a few fringe players stepping up way above their pay.

In 2011 we had DCE and Foran, 2008 Wolfman and Ballin, last year the roosters got terrific value out of their young backrowers and outside backs.

This year we have Hiku, JSL, Starling playing way above their pay grade, hopefully that is the extra help we need.

Shoe1 said:
I remember we'd put Freddie teasdell on for 10 mins with the instruction to tackle everything that moves. Tyson may get this role

#crisis

LOL Freddie was a norths favourite as well

Cl;assic when he was caught playing with a yo yo on the sideline during one game with norths.

http://youtu.be/D4EBrN6Cm_U

JSL reminds me so much of Brent Kite, the way he runs, his defence and he'll only improve with more time.

The little bits of Chee-Kam I saw on the weekend, the guy has heaps of talent but needs to get some First Grade time. He has ball skills and can take on the line but I think he may be a bit tentative at the moment because of his injuries. 2V has a huge wrap on him so I guess it's just time and we have to be patient. Next year may be his year to get a crack.

I just cannot understand how the NSW Cup team, given the roster, just let in so many points, particularly given their performance when they get an opportunity in the top grade. The left hand side attack of the Warriors scored at will and Papalii, at just 20 was awesome.

Why would the Warriors want Matai with someone like Papalii coming through, along with Hurrell? Monsters in the centres but... not ball players. I guess that may be the answer, but Carter certainly seems to have it!

I've listened to Willo on the ABC and he appears pretty knowledgeable about the game and provides some insightful comments, so what happens to the team when he's the coach?

I have had managers who have worked for me that are brilliant in terms of knowledge and expertise, but just could not get people to provide their best for them. It just seems to be an inability to recognise the needs of the individual (we're all different) and communication. 2V appears to be excelling at this at the moment and you can just see the respect the players have for him.

rmd said:
JSL reminds me so much of Brent Kite, the way he runs, his defence and he'll only improve with more time.

I've always thought that too.

Few things re: that footage:
1. lol@norths
2. good ol sand for kicks!
3. tap/play the ball with no markers, the way some markers are lately (see Dogs v us in the finals a while back) that rule would make things interesting again.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6