The EPL 2014 / 15

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hello again @"Big Pete C Eagle"

(1st name's Mick) mostly ppl stick with our usernames (eg. River for me).
I don't know the actual protocol (or indeed if there is one) but quite a few ppl's real names are used I see (and I don't mind either there Pete: River or Mick, I'll know it's me, lol).

I'm down here in Wagga Wagga mate. Beautiful provincial city, just notorious for hay-fever (which I do cop like every 3rd person you'd meet) ; and brutal summers!

You're clearly of an older vintage to me (with respect of course) as I'm in my 40's and even George Best, in his prime or decline, is quite vague for me. (Obviously his troubles in his personal life and alcoholism especially were a cruel end for one that produced such brilliance and joy to many).

But yes, certainly as a boy in the 70's United were good enough for me to notice (as I did with Manly). So some of those names you refer to I recall; a couple escape me though, too.

I'm quite tired now myself (getting past midnight as I type) so rather than go in-depth on every interesting point you make I'll just mention two.

"Bad news" 1st. I am slightly in agreement with the view that the English Leagues (and the EPL of course) have gone just a bit too far in multi-culturalism. And that's by no means meant to be a racial-reference at all. Just that perhaps there should be an equal limit or quota of foreign players permitted in all squads (And I have seen this point raised countless times all over the world). It's the English Premier League mate. Not a mini-World Cup as I've seen pointed out.

And to finish on a positive for now, I'll name a few of my favourites in my all-time 11 (bearing in mind mate the duration I've been able to genuinely comprehend and follow United). Which I'd readily admit isn't much more than 30 years.

*These aren't in any particular order either*

GK: Schmeichel (easily). Captain, I can't split between Roy Keane and Bryan Robson (obviously very different players, but superb leaders each in their own way). Striker: Cantona (predictable choice but I loved what the "crazy French man " delivered). And Mark Hughes always added to the highlight-reel for me too, far more often than not. Winger: Giggsy (his longevity alone would deserve an honourable mention; and at his peak he was the equal of any). One defender (and sometime captain) is there too...Steve Bruce. Solid as a rock and twice as hard to break! A man of honour and integrity (which I gravitate to anyway) as indeed Roy Keane was in that regard.

I'll leave you guessing the rest for now, but do remember my era is only that 30 odd years I clearly recollect (Best was amazing from the vision I've seen). I'm simply going on my knowledge Pete.

Apart from hoping you pop back to learn the rest of my squad, we may well have to console ourselves (reminiscing) if our current squad on the park don't raise to our usual heights this season.

Catch ya' next time.

RiverEagle said:
Hello again @"Big Pete C Eagle"

(1st name's Mick) mostly ppl stick with our usernames (eg. River for me).
I don't know the actual protocol (or indeed if there is one) but quite a few ppl's real names are used I see (and I don't mind either there Pete: River or Mick, I'll know it's me, lol).

I'm down here in Wagga Wagga mate. Beautiful provincial city, just notorious for hay-fever (which I do cop like every 3rd person you'd meet) ; and brutal summers!

You're clearly of an older vintage to me (with respect of course) as I'm in my 40's and even George Best, in his prime or decline, is quite vague for me. (Obviously his troubles in his personal life and alcoholism especially were a cruel end for one that produced such brilliance and joy to many).

But yes, certainly as a boy in the 70's United were good enough for me to notice (as I did with Manly). So some of those names you refer to I recall; a couple escape me though, too.

I'm quite tired now myself (getting past midnight as I type) so rather than go in-depth on every interesting point you make I'll just mention two.

"Bad news" 1st. I am slightly in agreement with the view that the English Leagues (and the EPL of course) have gone just a bit too far in multi-culturalism. And that's by no means meant to be a racial-reference at all. Just that perhaps there should be an equal limit or quota of foreign players permitted in all squads (And I have seen this point raised countless times all over the world). It's the English Premier League mate. Not a mini-World Cup as I've seen pointed out.

And to finish on a positive for now, I'll name a few of my favourites in my all-time 11 (bearing in mind mate the duration I've been able to genuinely comprehend and follow United). Which I'd readily admit isn't much more than 30 years.

*These aren't in any particular order either*

GK: Schmeichel (easily). Captain, I can't split between Roy Keane and Bryan Robson (obviously very different players, but superb leaders each in their own way). Striker: Cantona (predictable choice but I loved what the "crazy French man " delivered). And Mark Hughes always added to the highlight-reel for me too, far more often than not. Winger: Giggsy (his longevity alone would deserve an honourable mention; and at his peak he was the equal of any). One defender (and sometime captain) is there too...Steve Bruce. Solid as a rock and twice as hard to break! A man of honour and integrity (which I gravitate to anyway) as indeed Roy Keane was in that regard.

I'll leave you guessing the rest for now, but do remember my era is only that 30 odd years I clearly recollect (Best was amazing from the vision I've seen). I'm simply going on my knowledge Pete.

Apart from hoping you pop back to learn the rest of my squad, we may well have to console ourselves (reminiscing) if our current squad on the park don't raise to our usual heights this season.

Catch ya' next time.

G'day River and hope you had a good day. Yes mate, no probs but I am 60. Turned it back in May this year. Most years my birthday falls on FA Cup Final night.
My daughters birthday is two days after and she also loves Man Utd.

The "Old" Wagga Wagga ay. When I was with RIC/NSW Railways our GM's Office was in Station St and Morgan St was our Finances Office. Many guys lived at Junee and thus travelled to retain a job when they closed Junee Depot down and much like many other parts of NSW where it has happened. I now work at DEC Finance Bathurst.

Anything that you want to discuss discreetly we could link up in email.

Eric Cantona was a gem at United. Ok he had a short fuse like a lot of Froggies but I was told that the club loved him around the juniors and youth coming forward as he was good as a skills coach and went out of his way to nurture them along. I might say in their day that Dennis Law and Bobby Charlton were a class act as well. Brian Robson I also like and I still reckon Gordon McQueen was far better than some of the defenders Man Utd has purchased in the past few years. Giggsy is part of our golden polished furniture at Man Utd. But I didnt mind Kanchelskis the Russian as a flyer on the flanks. Steve Coppell as well. Teddy Sherringham should have come to us earlier as in his later stage,was usually good for a goal with us. Roy Keane was a bit explosive at times. Today we have Roons and RVP up front but you cant take from Andy Cole (my surname) and Dwight Yorke - what a goalscoring and bonking double they were.
I agree with imported players and how EPL now is fuelled by so many overseas acquisitions to England
We can be as selective as we like who our top team is Bro but we've had so many excellent players that I wouldnt like to part them. It is a great Club.

Jose Mourinho has gone the right way I feel at Chelsea by having two teams at the ready - 1 for EPL and the other for Euro matches and Cups. One way or the other, that way he could work around injuries. BUT, eventually players who are only bench warming and not getting playing time are going to want to move on. I bet they dont complain about the cash though, depending what their contract states and how they are/get paid.

Got to move on and get a couple of small jobs tied up before National News.
Catch ya on the next round.

Cheers and a beer
Pete C Eagle (you can see the double meaning in the C now)

Is this a EPL thread or a manu love in (and yes that is a bit of jealousy from a hammers fan who has to put up with big sam alerdici....)

Interested to see the formation you lot line up in...also has Rojo got his permit yet?

Good evening Isz.
Bit of both when you love Sea Eagles and the opportunity arrives to meet fellow supporters - especially by the fact we live in Country NSW and are friendly with anyone. That's the air that we breathe once off The Concrete Jungle.

I hold nothing against Londoners or West Ham or Big Sam.
Actually when I visited there in 1981, there was a saying that went like "when you're sick of London you're sick of living".
You can do so much with what you've got mate. EPL is the best and I might even get a run with Hammers if United's side is overflowing with talent.

Dont know about Rojo yet?
I thought his transfer and Visa had all been settled.

Cheers and have a beer. Good luck on the road against Hull this week.
Pete C Eagle

lsz said:
I heard there were issues over his ownership?

I am lead to believe that all was sealed about 5 days ago.
Rojo was under Argentinian investigation for some apparent wrong-doing (back in 2010) of which he denied. Thus they have to hold up proceedings until all is investigated.
Seems like all is clear with Marcos Rojo to play against QPR if he is selected as he has missed the first 3 matches anyway.

Cheers
Pete C Eagle

Sounds good - looking forward to seeing how he goes

The big player for your lot could be strootman in the next window - exactly who you guys have needed for years

It will be interesting to see how they ALL go actually.

Teams take time to rebuild. Van Gaal is trying under pressure but he can handle it. One of the international sports sites said that Man Utd will buy a Suarez each year. ManU will need to get the message across to all players because I became aware after last seasons dismal displays that major sponsors and owner told ManUtd Board that they will reduce the sponsorship level if they fail to qualify for Europe. Now that requires a Top 4 finish.
It will be interesting!!!!!!

Cheers and signing off for the night.
Pete C Eagle

Firstly @lsz U know clearly I started this Thread (hence any and all Man U bias comes with the territory mate) , lol! *I've been reminded about things going off-topic elsewhere this week; will tighten the belt there; and indeed quite likely take @"Big Pete C Eagle" up on the offer of PM's in future.

Suffice to say we share our passion for United, Manly, and now upon learning of Pete's Railway-work link, we share that too (my Dad did the same).

It will be fascinating to see LVG's journey at Man U (won't be easy but many have written Man U off, and regretted that significantly later) and you're spot-on recommending patience from the terraces as he rebuilds.

I concur on Kanchelskis (he was electric and somewhat of a cult-figure for us, even though he wasn't there particularly long). I'd lean toward Giggs, if forced to choose, but Pete, we could easily name 2 all-time great squads, as I'm sure you'd agree.

(Despite my age I do understand how great, Bobby Charlton, George Best, and Denis Law were, indeed as integral parts of the Club's history).

I liked Sherringham, his ability and personality, but agree, he came over to Old Trafford a tad too late. Still made a valuable contribution in his time.

As did van Nistelrooy (despite his off-field problems assimilating to UK-life). Cole and Yorke (or Cole v Yorke) would just about make a stand-alone Thread I reckon. And include the likes of another softly-smiling assassin in Ole Gunner Solskjaer!

Apart from Bruce at the back, Irwin, Pallister and the Neville brothers would rarely let U down; and another real fave for me was Paul Ince. Then U can't dismiss guys like Scholes, Butt, even Leigh Sharpe was above-average (just slightly too injury-prone to fulfil his potential).

Roy Keane was controversial. And uncompromising. Being Irish though (as indeed are many in my lineage) he needed no further excuse for any anti-establishment or leadership mistrust. End of the day he WAS a success, loved by Man U fans; and even if disliked by rival fans, he was respected without doubt.

Thank U for the added voice here...and your well-wishes my way (bit of a struggle there right now) but appreciated. And yesss, even I didn't miss the play-on-words with your C Eagle profile-name!

Always good to break bread, or share a drink or three with another United fan. Or BOTH. You'll have to have that beer for me at the minute (on antibiotics a few days longer) but thanks for sharing your knowledge and perspective to the Thread.

ESPECIALLY as it's coming from a Man U bias, lol!

Lastly if I could make one change with a click of my fingers, I'd say I'd bring back Ronaldo (even baby-sit the guy if he needed that in the UK-cauldron).

Either that or clone and reinvent Beckham like so many fans still wish for.

Quick q

What do you guys think of the glaziers? (Not 200% sure of the spelling )

lsz said:
Quick q

U mean Crystal Palace mate??

That's the right spelling and I don't mind them at all.

Despite supporting a heavy-weight (like Man U and Manly!) I often prefer the underdog in a contest.

I don't know a lot about their squad (perhaps Pete C does) but didn't Tony Popovic play for them, AND get approached to take over as manager?

Sorry river was talking about your american owners and what they have done to strip the club over the past 5 years or so

RiverEagle said:
Firstly @lsz U know clearly I started this Thread (hence any and all Man U bias comes with the territory mate) , lol! *I've been reminded about things going off-topic elsewhere this week; will tighten the belt there; and indeed quite likely take @"Big Pete C Eagle" up on the offer of PM's in future.

Suffice to say we share our passion for United, Manly, and now upon learning of Pete's Railway-work link, we share that too (my Dad did the same).

It will be fascinating to see LVG's journey at Man U (won't be easy but many have written Man U off, and regretted that significantly later) and you're spot-on recommending patience from the terraces as he rebuilds.

I concur on Kanchelskis (he was electric and somewhat of a cult-figure for us, even though he wasn't there particularly long). I'd lean toward Giggs, if forced to choose, but Pete, we could easily name 2 all-time great squads, as I'm sure you'd agree.

(Despite my age I do understand how great, Bobby Charlton, George Best, and Denis Law were, indeed as integral parts of the Club's history).

I liked Sherringham, his ability and personality, but agree, he came over to Old Trafford a tad too late. Still made a valuable contribution in his time.

As did van Nistelrooy (despite his off-field problems assimilating to UK-life). Cole and Yorke (or Cole v Yorke) would just about make a stand-alone Thread I reckon. And include the likes of another softly-smiling assassin in Ole Gunner Solskjaer!

Apart from Bruce at the back, Irwin, Pallister and the Neville brothers would rarely let U down; and another real fave for me was Paul Ince. Then U can't dismiss guys like Scholes, Butt, even Leigh Sharpe was above-average (just slightly too injury-prone to fulfil his potential).

Roy Keane was controversial. And uncompromising. Being Irish though (as indeed are many in my lineage) he needed no further excuse for any anti-establishment or leadership mistrust. End of the day he WAS a success, loved by Man U fans; and even if disliked by rival fans, he was respected without doubt.

Thank U for the added voice here...and your well-wishes my way (bit of a struggle there right now) but appreciated. And yesss, even I didn't miss the play-on-words with your C Eagle profile-name!

Always good to break bread, or share a drink or three with another United fan. Or BOTH. You'll have to have that beer for me at the minute (on antibiotics a few days longer) but thanks for sharing your knowledge and perspective to the Thread.

ESPECIALLY as it's coming from a Man U bias, lol!

Lastly if I could make one change with a click of my fingers, I'd say I'd bring back Ronaldo (even baby-sit the guy if he needed that in the UK-cauldron).

Either that or clone and reinvent Beckham like so many fans still wish for.

Good evening River & Isz looking in. Caught up on my emails (after putting otto bins out) and came to have a session with you guys.
I'll answer your one on the owners shortly Isz in a reply to you.

Some great names here that I was toying with. CR7 was one of those players who could bang a ball from anywhere. Becks was good on the free kicks/set plays especially bending the curve I say. Ole became our super sub towards the end but a live wire finisher much in the mould of The Iceberg (Denis Bergkamp) at Arsenal in his time.

Schmeichel would be my GK, but never forget F. Barthez (another Froggy) and Alex Stepney back in days of Greenhoff brothers. Yes, we could pick two grand sides and wouldn't disagree or miss a beat River.
LVG is a smart tactician (probably one of the best Dutch Masters was Rinus Michels) and he will pull some amazing subs to win games once our Devils are co-ordinated and singing from the same hymn sheet.

Tell me River if you can here, what was your dads name?

The last time I was down in Wagga (several years now) doing a training course we were on our way home and heard Big Don McKinnon on the radio being interviewed.
Another Teddy Bear and Sea Eagle of fame.

Hope we can get our unit working hard against Souths this Friday night.

Take care and get well mate
Pete C Eagle.

lsz said:
Sorry river was talking about your american owners and what they have done to strip the club over the past 5 years or so

Oh no worries mate.

And I'll be honest; I don't pay much, if any attention, to that side of Man U's identity.

Largely because it's exactly what U say...Privatising UK clubs (into semi-American or other exterior entities) really irks me. Man U would survive and thrive with a lot less interference and manipulation.

The Man United brand is as big as any in the world now (and has been for decades).

Which is exactly why these rich American (or Russian, whatever ) want a piece of that pie.

(So...@lsz Who is your EPL team again??) I'm sure you've told us, I just can't remember right now.

EDIT: @"Big Pete C Eagle" We must've virtually been typing our posts simultaneously!

HOW could I have forgotten Barthez?! Yes, another volatile and passionate Frog; but magnificent in the gloves.

Apart from wanting to keep information (such as my Dad's name and details private) it is preferred to do that anyway, and stay on the topic mate. (I will have no problem discussing such things in private/ PM's though. He was active in the early 70's, I'll leave it there for now, if you don't mind Pete).

But I would be very interested in your views and analysis of Man United's convoluted ownership history as @lsz pointed out; and that of European clubs in general?

I get easily frustrated, so boardroom and fiscal dissections are out-of-our-control; and whilst I'll sometimes have an opinion in those areas, I prefer to focus more on the on-field issues (for Man U and Manly).

AND now I see you are addressing that Q! Excellent.

(Thanks for the well-wishes re: this damn sinus-infection too. Still unpleasant, but a lot better than last week mate).

lsz said:

Evening Isz,

Typical USA where privatisation is involved. Actually Cobber, it is The Glazer Family not the glass traders in glazier. I think they also own Tampa Bay in NFL.
I did notice on Yahoo just recently that one of the family (brothers) and his wife died when their plane crashed near Jamaica or somewhere. Might have been just the last day or two - bless them.

Man Utd is rather lucky in some ways that they are on Stock Exchange, have their own TV Station and Radio Station. So if it is all going well on the field it quite likely is going well in the media. EXCEPT how newspapers write us up.

Cheers and I'll push on with another

Pete C Eagle

RiverEagle said:
lsz said:

Oh no worries mate.

And I'll be honest; I don't pay much, if any attention, to that side of Man U's identity.

Largely because it's exactly what U say...Privatising UK clubs (into semi-American or other exterior entities) really irks me. Man U would survive and thrive with a lot less interference and manipulation.

The Man United brand is as big as any in the world now (and has been for decades).

Which is exactly why these rich American (or Russian, whatever ) want a piece of that pie.

(So...@lsz Who is your EPL team again??) I'm sure you've told us, I just can't remember right now.

I think River that Isz said if your feeling depressed, try being a West Ham supporter in a few threads back. So I took it both Isz and Big Sam are in for a torrid season.

Cheers
Pete C Eagle

West ham for me (we are owned by Sullivan and gold, who if I am not mistaken made their dollars by adult entertainment....)

We are horrid to watch...horrid

RiverEagle said:
lsz said:
Quick q

U mean Crystal Palace mate??

That's the right spelling and I don't mind them at all.

Despite supporting a heavy-weight (like Man U and Manly!) I often prefer the underdog in a contest.

I don't know a lot about their squad (perhaps Pete C does) but didn't Tony Popovic play for them, AND get approached to take over as manager?

Yeah mate - Crystal Palace are also Eagles.
Yes Tony Popovic played with them and this season turned down being considered as manager of them. Actually Mile Jedinak (our Socceroo's capt) plays with them.
Ashley Cole (England) played with them as did our Carl Veart a few seasons ago.

By the way, do you guys follow A-League?
I actually following Sydney FC but do have a soft spot for W/Syd Wanderers but detest their antics away from games. They know they have to behave at matches as they were warned last season that points will be taken from them if they dont watch themselves and how they behave.

Back years ago in Australian NSL and Phillips Soccer League I followed Marconi and yes Marconi is a foundation club and feeder to Wanderers. Marconi had some great players come from there as did the former Sydney City Slickers who were coached by the late Eddie Thomson (a great soccer mind he was).

Well the English influence is upon us with Man City buying Melbourne Heart and naming them Melbourne City FC.
Parramatta RLFC (Eels) have applied for a NSW Grant to have Parramatta Stadium upgraded and that will go a long way for spectators and increasing such.
Bring it on Brookvale Oval and Manly RLFC.

Cheers mate
Pete C Eagle.

lsz said:
West ham for me (we are owned by Sullivan and gold, who if I am not mistaken made their dollars by adult entertainment....)

Never fear mate - I watch The Hammers closely especially who is playing for my EPL Tipping each week.

Whats the latest on Hammers moving from Upton Park to Londons New Olympic Stadium. They build them (stadiums) and then they become white elephants.
Imagine Brazil, the poverty that is there and the $$$$'s that got swung about for The World Cup venues.

Cheers
Pete C Eagle

lsz said:

Of course @lsz I remember now and whilst your Hammers are struggling, at least they're IN the EPL mate.

Famous names aplenty flounder in the Championship (or worse) like former high-flyers in Leeds, Blackburn, Nottingham Forest to name a few of plenty.

How long have you been following West Ham mate; and can you rattle off some or any favourite players you've had with them?

And @"Big Pete C Eagle" you and I must be cosmically-related.

Manly; Man United; and yep the sky-blue of Sydney FC for me too, from their inception! (I also agree the rapid development of the Wanderers out west has been exciting and refreshing, apart from that small minority trying to import the "hooliganism" element into their formative years.)

I hope you lend your eye and voice to the Manly threads too now Pete.

There are more EPL/ football fans here ( @"PONTIAN SEA EAGLE" is one I remember ). A Liverpool man increasingly hopeful when they challenged for the title last season...Only to be pipped at the post by that wretched Man City!

With the EPL only just begun, and Manly's campaign reaching it's peak, naturally the far more focus is on our Manly issues. Quite right too.

Cheers men, 'til next time.

Hammers since i got into football in the late 80's

I really loved the players that have gone on elsewhere

Rio F
Frank Lampard
Carrick
Defoe
Joe Cole
Kanoute

Good lord we could have a decent side if we kept them together

Truth be told I am more of an Italian football fan but watch the EPL as I am a football addict

lsz said:
Hammers since i got into football in the late 80's

I really loved the players that have gone on elsewhere

Rio F
Frank Lampard
Carrick
Defoe
Joe Cole
Kanoute

Good lord we could have a decent side if we kept them together

Truth be told I am more of an Italian football fan but watch the EPL as I am a football addict

Good one Isz,
I follow Juve in Serie A (I actually have my favourites in most countries) always have.
I saw them play Man Utd in Sydney back in was it 80's (off the cuff). Brian Robson was captain (Frank Worthington had a guest stint with ManU) and the match ended in a draw but then the fun unfolded. There was a penalty shootout with a purse (about $20,000) to the winner.
We missed the shootout as we weren't aware it was to be conducted. We had decided that driving back to Bathurst with a busload of kids, that we would get out slightly earlier.
Boy did the kids give our driver heaps for wanting to leave early.

Cheers mate
Pete C Eagle

RiverEagle said:
lsz said:

Oh no worries mate.

EDIT: @"Big Pete C Eagle" We must've virtually been typing our posts simultaneously!

HOW could I have forgotten Barthez?! Yes, another volatile and passionate Frog; but magnificent in the gloves.

Apart from wanting to keep information (such as my Dad's name and details private) it is preferred to do that anyway, and stay on the topic mate. (I will have no problem discussing such things in private/ PM's though. He was active in the early 70's, I'll leave it there for now, if you don't mind Pete).

But I would be very interested in your views and analysis of Man United's convoluted ownership history as @lsz pointed out; and that of European clubs in general?

I get easily frustrated, so boardroom and fiscal dissections are out-of-our-control; and whilst I'll sometimes have an opinion in those areas, I prefer to focus more on the on-field issues (for Man U and Manly).

AND now I see you are addressing that Q! Excellent.

(Thanks for the well-wishes re: this damn sinus-infection too. Still unpleasant, but a lot better than last week mate).

Totally understand River - with private noting's in an avenue like this.
It just didn't dawn on me, as I was having a great time discussing a like-minded topic - FOOTBALL. I got carried away in mixing the topic but trying to kill two birds with one stone. My apologies Fellow Eagle. Thanks for pointing it out.
Yes mate, I'll give it a break for a little while and go and see what our Brooky feathered friends are up to in Rugby League.

Hope u haven't been sniffing the blossoms too much since we last spoke.
Take care, get well and keep well.
Pete C Eagle

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4