The Eagle Learning to Fly Again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Manly centre Brayden Wiliame on his horror start to NRL career — and how he turned it around

THIS is a feel-good story about a young footy player with remarkable persistence and determination. A player who was knocked down — but didn’t give up.

Manly centre Brayden Wiliame opened up about a horror start to his NRL career. How he kept at it, trained hard and never lost his smile.

Wiliame, 23, took a staggering four years to claim his first-ever win. He lost his first 13 NRL games.

He started at Parramatta in 2013 where he played — and lost — six successive NRL matches. Wiliame then joined Newcastle in 2014 but only played NSW Cup.

The centre joined Manly last year and, again, couldn’t win any of his six NRL games.

Then, finally, in round eight this year, in his second NRL game of the season, Wiliame broke through when Manly defeated Newcastle 26-10 at Hunter Stadium. Now, the victories are starting to flow.

Wiliame has been a regular in the Manly side in recent months as his side look for a fifth successive win when confronting Parramatta this Friday night at Pirtek Stadim.

And Wiliame’s patience has paid off, having just agreed to a new two-year contract extension at Brookvale.

“My first win (in NRL) came against Newcastle this season, the Anzac game. It was my second game in NRL this year. It was a big crowd so I was happy to get a win, against my (former) teammates as well.

“All the boys knew it was playing on my mind a bit. They were all happy for me when we beat Newcastle. My teammates supported me. It’s so much better winning than losing.

“It’s hard not to think about things when you get all that negativity, reading about it on social media. I had to get one win against Newcastle and then the rest of them (the losses) were all behind me.”

Wiliame hails from Woy Woy, the same Central Coast town as Manly legend Graham ‘Wombat’ Eadie.

“I’ve got a good support base at home with my family and partner. It’s been made easier because of them. I am glad I got through it early. It would have been tough if it kept going but I got through it and feel good about myself. Now we are four wins strong. Four-in-a-row. I’m enjoying my footy again.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/se...d/news-story/7bf87bd4bd471dd9757475bfd3b8f326

He's really come on now and you can tell he is more confident in his play.

I like the way he runs into the line and gets between the defenders. He always seems to poke his head through the line. A lot of players just run straight into tackles but I feel he is going to split some teams open soon the way he is running.

Well done willy....onwards and upwards! :clap:

He must be sitting ontop of the world now compared to when his consecutive loses were in double figures.
Imagine he goes 12 straight wins.

Many on here, me included , were a bit harsh on Hexie, but to give him due he kept at it and is now a regular in the side.

Mind you I think he's better at centre than he was at wing but regardless he's more than proven himself.

Congratulations Hexie

Some of us were always part of the WillyArmy.

Don't know how good he will be, but do know he is one mentally tough kid and wish him every success.
4119446.jpg

Has shown some great footwork over the last few weeks. He's a strong ball carrier too. As has been said in this thread already, I like the way he positions himself to run between defenders. Only a matter of time before we see him break free into open space.

His defence isn't bad but does need some work, but then you could probably say that about 90% of the outside backs in the NRL. He has good speed as we saw at the Nines, though I wish he would get a chance to show it in the NRL. And as others have said here, he tends to run at the gaps between defenders rather than straight at a defender. By doing that he has a better chance of keeping his arms free to try and find a team mate in support.

In future years he may end up a mainstay centre for Manly, but for now I'd be happy to see him on the wing outside Walker next year (if we sign a decent centre or if Skivy is still playing).

I'm actually starting to feel comfortable with the thought of him being one of our permanent centres. Very happy to see him doing well.

Many on here, me included , were a bit harsh on Hexie, but to give him due he kept at it and is now a regular in the side.

Mind you I think he's better at centre than he was at wing but regardless he's more than proven himself.

Congratulations Hexie
I was critical of old Hexie, but the truth is he has developed a lot as a player and is definitely a Centre not a winger. He has a long way to go, but I would consider him a solid first grader now.

Some of us were always part of the WillyArmy.

Don't know how good he will be, but do know he is one mentally tough kid and wish him every success.

I'm happy to put my hand up as one of the faithful, 21/5/16 against the Sharks was when I joined the WillyArmy. It's fantastic that he has gained and maintained momentum! He can feel well pleased with the change of fortune.
Willy Army Capture.PNG

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4