The day we brought a PENN to a gunfight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We agree on 99.99999% of occasions , but I disagree about the " can we do it again" deal, and the answer I'm thinking is yes we can!!

The Penn's need success, if they don't have it ( and soon) they'll walk away and we will be like Newcastle, owned by the NRL ( until the next TV deal at which point they'd relocate the licence).

The Penns are very savvy business people , they know success will mean a profit , so in spite of all the **** I believe it will happen.

I know I bang on BUT this is year 1 of 5, have patience it WILL happen!!
Mark, please explain to me why if they are so business savvy, the club had no real succession plan with it's roster. Why did we need to run the team into the ground, before having to build it brick by brick from the ground up and have a 5 year plan. And please don't say back ended contracts, all we had to do was give players not wanted a chance to test the market while they still had market value.
Bozo was really brought into this way too late. Bozo had a one year plan-he brought in some experienced players to succeed this year. He also only bought what was available, so throw in a rookie coach and VOILA!!! A recipe for failure. I do believe we can make it back, but not under PENNMANSHIP. They had a gold plated NRL team and culture, and it has fizzled lick a limp dick under their watch

It's been a disaster on field but membership record and a lot of sponno dollars even if CoCo Joy are scumbags means they're doing something right. Not to mention they got the money for Brookie finally.

As far as on field - we needed a purge. Once the purge is complete, we'll be back. You can't overhaul a roster completely in one season. Last year our pack was garbage but our backs kept us thereabouts. This year we're still carrying a lot of deadweight forwards and our star older backs turned 100 overnight. The northern beaches are still a place people want to live and play footy for. That hasn't changed.

Half empty/half full.
The Penns have systematically alienated the fanbase...that is not good business sense. If we had decent operators from 2014-2016, a PURGE would not be required at all.

I believe if the "right" coach who is experienced understands our culture and doesn't try to be one of the boys comes in we will become the MANLY we know we are !!!

Where are u though ????

Mate I agree with you on that if only we waited s fortnight what a difference it would of been I rate him ,alot on here don't but he surely would of been better then TB

The Penns have systematically alienated the fanbase...that is not good business sense. If we had decent operators from 2014-2016, a PURGE would not be required at all.
What then of the record membership? I think you're greatly overestimating how much people really care. Most fans obviously don't. We've won a lot recently so they can tolerate this.

Mark, please explain to me why if they are so business savvy, the club had no real succession plan with it's roster. Why did we need to run the team into the ground, before having to build it brick by brick from the ground up and have a 5 year plan. And please don't say back ended contracts, all we had to do was give players not wanted a chance to test the market while they still had market value.
Bozo was really brought into this way too late. Bozo had a one year plan-he brought in some experienced players to succeed this year. He also only bought what was available, so throw in a rookie coach and VOILA!!! A recipe for failure. I do believe we can make it back, but not under PENNMANSHIP. They had a gold plated NRL team and culture, and it has fizzled lick a limp dick under their watch

What then of the record membership? I think you're greatly overestimating how much people really care. Most fans obviously don't. We've won a lot recently so they can tolerate this.
A decent marketing strategy can build member numbers. Seriously, I don't think member numbers mean we are a success. Those numbers can also be manipulated....can't they lol tooth fairy stuff

A decent marketing strategy can build member numbers. Seriously, I don't think member numbers mean we are a success. Those numbers can also be manipulated....can't they lol tooth fairy stuff
Of course - how do you think Souths get such high member numbers? One game membership packs. But who is responsible for the decent marketing strategy? Doesn't mean we are a "success" because on field the results not there, but they are doing their job off field whether people like the Penn's or not.

Of course - how do you think Souths get such high member numbers? One game membership packs. But who is responsible for the decent marketing strategy? Doesn't mean we are a "success" because on field the results not there, but they are doing their job off field whether people like the Penn's or not.
I disagree, there is more to running a successful sporting club than memberships. But I respect your opinions Loobs.
Dumping a Manly legend in the circumstances it was carried out was VERY poor business acumen. Slice it and dice it any way you want. Zorba has vendettas and they bore out significantly in the past 2 years. Again, not the smartest way to do business.

I disagree, there is more to running a successful sporting club than memberships. But I respect your opinions Loobs.
Dumping a Manly legend in the circumstances it was carried out was VERY poor business acumen. Slice it and dice it any way you want. Zorba has vendettas and they bore out significantly in the past 2 years. Again, not the smartest way to do business.
I don't disagree but that happened and 13,000+ people still took up memberships so what I'm saying is that although that may mean a bit to us on here, I don't think it matters much to the majority of fans. Not enough to take a step back with their support.

All I'm saying is the club on field has been poor for a number of reasons but off field they have been doing OK in the metrics that matter to a business like this. We probably differ on how you'd account for goodwill. To me they acquired the club after some boardroom ****, so there was a spike in goodwill after they bought out Quantum as people thought we'd now have stability and so on. But the way they handled Tooves probably eroded that and pushed it into negative. The new signings probably took it over BE again but the performances this year have flattened it out again. But people on here think they bought at the top of the mountain and EVERYTHING has been downhill since. That's just not the case.

I don't disagree but that happened and 13,000+ people still took up memberships so what I'm saying is that although that may mean a bit to us on here, I don't think it matters much to the majority of fans. Not enough to take a step back with their support.

All I'm saying is the club on field has been poor for a number of reasons but off field they have been doing OK in the metrics that matter to a business like this. We probably differ on how you'd account for goodwill. To me they acquired the club after some boardroom ****, so there was a spike in goodwill after they bought out Quantum as people thought we'd now have stability and so on. But the way they handled Tooves probably eroded that and pushed it into negative. The new signings probably took it over BE again but the performances this year have flattened it out again. But people on here think they bought at the top of the mountain and EVERYTHING has been downhill since. That's just not the case.
True, my sentiments were based more around the management of the team, roster and coaching group. I am sure there have been some decent work done by the management group in other areas. Unfortunately it has counted for zip in the political stakes

True, my sentiments were based more around the management of the team, roster and coaching group. I am sure there have been some decent work done by the management group in other areas. Unfortunately it has counted for zip in the political stakes
And the results there are poor especially considering how the people making those decisions talked them up. We are probably all guilty of expecting too much, too soon. You obviously can't rebuild a club in one offseason. BUT - hopefully it can be done in two ;)

I think membership numbers for all NRL clubs are up. It would be good to see if we are up more % than the NRL average?

It's probably not realistic to measure the percentage of our membership increase until we've had a full year with the Penn's in charge.
Some supporters like to embrace the culture of the club whilst others only seem to relate to team performance.
Next year should be interesting.

The other thing to consider is that, as well informed and passionate we are on here, we are not necessarily representative of the greater fan base.

I have a few good mates who I have been going to games with for years. All are heavily online, passionate members but have never really come here or posted. As a result they only really know what they read...which is not much these days (that is about unrest in the club). When I ask them they are disappointed with the results but do not feel "the club" has gone away.
They are neither right or wrong, my point is that we need to understand how we feel might not be representative of the greater fan base

Look at the injuries and let's see how bad it is:

1. Brett: literally gone
2. Taufua: Injured or suspended
3. Matai: Gone
4. Lyon: on last legs
5. Tommy: running injured
6. Walker: new to 5/8
7. DCE: Can't carry a whole team and injured
8. Myles: injured and down on form (current origin player)
9. Parcell was injured but going great
Buhrer only back from long term
Lawrence gone
Hodges gone:

Good luck winning with all this happening:

Look at the injuries and let's see how bad it is:

1. Brett: literally gone
2. Taufua: Injured or suspended
3. Matai: Gone
4. Lyon: on last legs
5. Tommy: running injured
6. Walker: new to 5/8
7. DCE: Can't carry a whole team and injured
8. Myles: injured and down on form (current origin player)
9. Parcell was injured but going great
Buhrer only back from long term
Lawrence gone
Hodges gone:

Good luck winning with all this happening:
Darren I might be wrong but I think that , in all these years, this is the first time I have agreed with you.

Makes me feel uncomfortable

Manly's success has always been when we had a strong hard arse coach - Stanton in the 70s, Fulton in the 80s and 90s, hasler in our last golden era. Someone who intimidates and inspires devotion in equal measure. Is Barrett that man? The jury is still out - he hasn't yet really put his stamp on the joint.
I could be very wrong but he doesn't seem that type to me . More a players coach maybe.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6