The Club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Some classic television, must be a bit like Home when you're Away for the kiwis eh bro? Lowie's health saga made for rivetting viewing, quite emotionally draining. I hoped he would pull through. The other key character in this week's episode was Stevie Matai. When Gigg had to explain to Matai that the club wouldn't defend his high tackle charge it was a moment of rare comedy as Steve tried really hard to act surprised. I wonder what the narrator was saying? Des would be thrilled, can't be further under the radar than using a different language.

lismore_fan link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=184198.msg278043#msg278043 date=1280016358]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=184198.msg278041#msg278041 date=1280016203]
I notice the Magpies offer an SMS service from one of their players (Davis I think).  They say each SMS is from the horses mouth.  Could be a revenue stream there, perhaps from someone like King who clearly is more intelligent than most.  Being co-captain would help too.

Could do a SMS from the bench thing, during the games we could have players on the bench SMSing every 10 minutes or something.
[/quote]
I'm sure Dessie would be all for that.
"Get George out there!"
"Hang on Des.... he's just finishing a sausage roll!"
[/quote]

Fixed.

Just watched the 2nd one, review will be a bit more brief with the game on soon

Started off with Whare's 3 tries on debut, he said his goal for the year was just 1 NRL match, and he never dreamed he would get 3 tries in Toyota Cup let alone NRL
They then showed a bit of footage around Manly and talked about how Manly is a community based club, which led into Matai and Hodkinson heading out to Terrey Hills School to read with the kids and answer some questions

Segment 2 involved the Penn's, Delmege and Lowe entertaining our top 12 sponsors for lunch in the new changing rooms. Zorba spoke about our livery being worth 1.7mill in sponsorship which they want to take over 2 mill.
Scott Penn spoke how the club is looking to go more family based, member orientated and involved with the sponsors again after the fighting of last year, and Lowe was easily the best candidate for that, while Delmege spoke of his Rugby League experience and how we have the best CEO in the NRL (should get some of you boys firing haha). Then moved onto Joe galuvao and the Stage of Origin thing he is organising, I would recommend anyway that can get to it to do so, for the sole reason he has Dessie involved in it which should be a great laugh

Final segment started with Zorba talking about what it is like with the media these days, the demands of the players out in the public etc. Dean Whare was in demand for interviews after his debut, so Zorba was speaking to him, telling him it was important to praise his team mates and the club because he couldn't have done it without them etc
Final part featured Lowe, Glenn Stewart and Wolfman opening the new Eagles Ward at a hospital and was a nice way to finish the show off

Next week it said they will meet some of Manly's most biggest fans etc, showed them walking around the hill, and there was a shot of Vidmar there so maybe he is interviewed ?

I watched the on-line version of episode 1 and enoyed it - thanks for the write up on number 2 KE so will keep an eye on Maori TV to see when they put it up.
Interesting to hear about the shot of me but wasn't interviewed for the program.
Lowey does a walk around the ground before Kick Off and a TV crew were following him just before the Broncos game.
Me and Tramby were having a chat with him so that may have been it

lismore_fan link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=184198.msg278043#msg278043 date=1280016358]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=184198.msg278041#msg278041 date=1280016203]
I notice the Magpies offer an SMS service from one of their players (Davis I think).  They say each SMS is from the horses mouth.  Could be a revenue stream there, perhaps from someone like King who clearly is more intelligent than most.  Being co-captain would help too.

Could do a SMS from the bench thing, during the games we could have players on the bench SMSing every 10 minutes or something.
[/quote]
I'm sure Dessie would be all for that.
"Get George out there!"
"Hang on Des.... he's just finishing an SMS!"
[/quote]

...or another pot roast!!!

Ep 3 last week was about a couple of passionate fans, 1 owns a coffee shop, Zorba gave him the trophy to have for a weekend at 1 point

Just watched the 4th one, was a good watch again tonight

Started off with a quick look at a fan day lowe put on for all the little kids around the Northern Beaches

Then moved onto Crusher heading to Canberra to watch a young aboriginal kid from Roma we have on our books, a 14yo called Ryan Mitchell. Looked bloody sharp in the footage they showed of him at a carnival in Canberra. Then moved on to a chat between Crusher and another bloke at the club about what to do next, maybe move him down to sydney to play SG Ball or to Brisbane to further his education, and they went with the Brisbane option.
David Peachey has agreed with the club to be the kids mentor through his foundation and Peachey was there in Canberra watching him as well

Next part focused on the Under 20s. Talked to a few of the kiwi boys, showed them training etc. A couple of them along with Crusher and Lowe agreed that there should be a Premier League.
Crusher said that very,very few of them will make it through to NRL level, and the club aims at 2 per year progressing which is above average.
Lowe mentioned that he loves seeing a young bolter like Whare rising through the ranks and getting a run whereas Des enjoys the security and safety of experience

Last part was showing some of the boys taking classes for life after football etc. Most of the younger blokes but Kitey was there as well, and that they use Kite sometimes to sit down and talk to younger blokes who aren't sure on their direction in life etc.
Des has a philosophy of a happy, stable club off the field translating into results on the field

Next week is focusing on the Warriors bid to take Matai from us

Just to add something that I had forgotten, an interesting quote from Crusher, that went along the lines of a player being promoted from NYC up to NRL can only handle that level for about 4 weeks before they need to be brought back down

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Just to add something that I had forgotten, an interesting quote from Crusher, that went along the lines of a player being promoted from NYC up to NRL can only handle that level for about 4 weeks before they need to be brought back down

Crap.

Just watched another one

Was done over the bye weekend so focused on what was happening with the time off, and they really pushed the family club theme tonight

Started off with Galuvao and his family out at Penrith, he travel's at least 90mins each way to training everyday so he didn't have to move his family, which is a big effort, and says the club and boys have treated him well and understand his situation

Next up was a brief chat with George who was heading back home to talk to school kids.
Donny Singe was then interviewed and while they were tempted to hammer them before the break which Des hates giving them they decided on a normal session so they had a proper rest for 4 days and weren't physically and mentally tired going into it. The clubs aim was to not drop out of the top 4, and with the form being so patchy all the coaches were getting together to look at things again and what to change etc

Crusher took his family along with Dean Whare into the bush for a hunt and they showed quite a lot of that. Crusher's wife was interviewed as well (think she used to post on here) and they try and get the young kids away from home around as much as possible for a home cooked meal etc. Whare seemed to really look up to Crusher, he seems a vital component of our club

Lowe had Ian Roberts around for a BBQ. They then cut away to a chat with Lowe mentioning the Warriors had made a big offer to Matai, and he spoke of the complexities of trying to work all of the factors into the salary cap, and with the club being so tight decisions can be hard to make, but he was optimistic we could keep him. Also mentioned the factor of re signing Matai meaning a road block is put in front of Whare who they are bringing through so the decisions are extremely difficult to take

Finished off with Zorba going off to the Penn's workplace and the Penn's explained how they got into ownership and what the 2008 GF experience was like as an owner etc

Sounds a great show Kiwi!!
To bad it is'nt shown over here.
Do you know if there's a link so us Aussies can watch it???

This is the link to the shows page on their website, looks like a few vids are up there now

http://www.maoritelevision.com/Default.aspx?tabid=566&pid=7968

Warning, the show is narrated in Maori, but the interviews which are the main parts of it you want to see anyway are all in English

Thanks Kiwi!!
Just watched the last 2 episodes and they were a great insight into how the club runs.
To bad these were'nt shown here in Aus as it would get a huge response and maybe even bring more fans and sponsors to the club...

No worries, I really enjoy it each monday night. Always surprises me in a way how well spoken Matai is

Watching it has certainly given me an insight into how valuable Crusher is inside the club

Was a good one tonight

Entirely focused on the Manly v Tigers Round 20 match

Started off with Tooves, Crusher, Zorba and Lowe sitting down and discussing the Fibros v Silvertails rivalry from the 70s-80s and what happened in Round 1, and how fired up our forwards were for it

Next part was quite good, showed a bit of our training methods and the GPS systems we use. Still kept a lot of it secret, but showed how was use them, every player at training wears them, and they get worn in games as well. There is a lady who collates all that data and from there sets up training programmes for all the players, and sets what their normal game workout would be into a treadmill, eg Walk, sprint for 3 seconds, jog for 3 seconds etc

Next part was quite entertaining, sitting in with Zorba on his Breakfast radio show, sounds like a good listen.
Our 2 analyst's were shown disecting some of the Tigers main moves and explained how they pass that info down to the players etc.

Then it was onto the supporters bus and off to the match. Lowe said the NRL should be sending Matai an apology over the sin binning haha

Will finish with an interesting line from Galuvao off tonight's show.
"As an outsider, playing against them, Manly always had this aura about them and every time we played them we lifted"

Next week, the Cheergirls are featured. The training attire attire certainly already has my full attention

Cheers Kiwi!!!  Will watch now.

From what you have said about the GPS,looks like it is'nt working going off our second half faid-outs.Maybe instead of 3 second sprints they should be pushing harder and doing 23 second sprints

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Then it was onto the supporters bus and off to the match. Lowe said the NRL should be sending Matai an apology over the sin binning haha

If they didn't show my Kiwi Eagle sign I am dirty at Maori TV. The camera bloke said he got a good shot of it.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6